Debate About Whether or not the TV Licence Should be Abolished has been Rescheduled, will be Debated in Parliament 16th of October

Found 14th Sep 2017Edited by:"MSK."
petition.parliament.uk/arc…931

Finally. It was postponed once because of the general election.

You will be able to watch here it: parliamentlive.tv/
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
If you want too watch the BBC and pay for it that's great but I don't think we should be forced to pay !
plodging26 m ago

If you are under 25 on Jobseeker's and live in your own place you get £230 …If you are under 25 on Jobseeker's and live in your own place you get £230 a month to live on and the bbc want 5% of it ... Unless of course you deny yourself a tv

Under that scenario - deny yourself a tv, books exist. Or maybe get a job.
Paying the licence is the biggest fraud of the century. There needs to be a CHOICE. Watch = pay. Don't watch = don't pay. Simple enough surely.
The current BBC model is dead in the water, and needs to adapt, if you want it you pay for it.
117 Comments
BBC is cheap! If it ever goes the floodgates will open for Sky, Netflix and Amazon to monopolise (at a higher cost than currently).
I only watch streaming services. I dont watch "normal" tv. I just wish one streaming service has everything at the same time all shows come out. I shall keep dreaming!
darthvader666uk5 m ago

I just wish one streaming service has everything at the same time all …I just wish one streaming service has everything at the same time all shows come out. I shall keep dreaming!

Such a service last existed 62 years ago. The chances of it ever returning again is zero. This is a result of progress, apparently.
If you want too watch the BBC and pay for it that's great but I don't think we should be forced to pay !
andyanddiane26 m ago

If you want too watch the BBC and pay for it that's great but I don't …If you want too watch the BBC and pay for it that's great but I don't think we should be forced to pay !

I agree. It should be one of those pay per view channels.

Sign up to a subscription get access to that channel. Being forced to pay monthly for something I don't watch is stupid.

Usually in YouTube for most off my content then Netflix.
Paying the licence is the biggest fraud of the century. There needs to be a CHOICE. Watch = pay. Don't watch = don't pay. Simple enough surely.
FloraNordin5 m ago

Paying the licence is the biggest fraud of the century. There needs to be …Paying the licence is the biggest fraud of the century. There needs to be a CHOICE. Watch = pay. Don't watch = don't pay. Simple enough surely.

Err... that is how it does work for watching/recording live programmes, or for downloading/watching iPlayer content:

[ tvlicensing.co.uk/che…one ]

"You need to be covered by a TV Licence to

• watch or record live TV programmes on any channel
  • download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand."
fanpages2 m ago

Err... that is how it does work for watching/recording live programmes, or …Err... that is how it does work for watching/recording live programmes, or for downloading/watching iPlayer content:[ http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one ]"You need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand."

Oh Lawd, you're one of those. Let me rephrase it simply.

Watch BBC = pay. Don't watch BBC = don't pay. Simple enough surely.
fanpages4 m ago

Err... that is how it does work for watching/recording live programmes, or …Err... that is how it does work for watching/recording live programmes, or for downloading/watching iPlayer content:[ http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one ]"You need to be covered by a TV Licence to watch or record live TV programmes on any channel download or watch any BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand."

Well said!
davewave1 h, 41 m ago

BBC is cheap! If it ever goes the floodgates will open for Sky, Netflix …BBC is cheap! If it ever goes the floodgates will open for Sky, Netflix and Amazon to monopolise (at a higher cost than currently).

Only if you choose to watch the dross Sky put out. Then that's on you.

fanpages21 m ago

Well yes, but you missed out the crucial last step.

You can choose not to pay, but you will be threatened about not paying on at least a bi-monthly basis, whether you watch or not.
MSK.11 m ago

Only if you choose to watch the dross Sky put out. Then that's on …Only if you choose to watch the dross Sky put out. Then that's on you.Well yes, but you missed out the crucial last step.You can choose not to pay, but you will be threatened about not paying on at least a bi-monthly basis, whether you watch or not.

perhaps you should just enjoy the journey, the rich tapestry of life, those things you like and those things you whinge about.
davewave6 m ago

perhaps you should just enjoy the journey, the rich tapestry of life, …perhaps you should just enjoy the journey, the rich tapestry of life, those things you like and those things you whinge about.

Perhaps you should take your own advice?
The current BBC model is dead in the water, and needs to adapt, if you want it you pay for it.
If you are under 25 on Jobseeker's and live in your own place you get £230 a month to live on and the bbc want 5% of it ... Unless of course you deny yourself a tv
They should just straight up fund the BBC through already existing tax takings, or run it like a proper business. Though i see politicians ruining both, either under funding or selling off the BBC the secound its turning a profit for a stupidly low price.
plodging8 m ago

If you are under 25 on Jobseeker's and live in your own place you get £230 …If you are under 25 on Jobseeker's and live in your own place you get £230 a month to live on and the bbc want 5% of it ... Unless of course you deny yourself a tv

its only the taxpayer taking some of their money back

(cue angry comments)
adamspencer958 m ago

its only the taxpayer taking some of their money back(cue angry comments)

That would only be vaguely true if the TV licence was classified as a tax.
MSK.6 m ago

That would only be vaguely true if the TV licence was classified as a tax.

people treat it as a tax, and it does get paid into the Government's coffers before distributing back to the BBC so it's close enough
adamspencer9517 m ago

its only the taxpayer taking some of their money back(cue angry comments)

Or they could make everyone pay 5% of their earnings to make it fair .
plodging26 m ago

Under that scenario - deny yourself a tv, books exist. Or maybe get a job.
plodging2 m ago

Or they could make everyone pay 5% of their earnings to make it fair .

ever heard of income tax? national insurance?

higher than 5%
deleted265520
It needs changing but what's worse is Graham's obsession with slating it and Mile's obsession with defending it.

I'd much rather sign a petition preventing either of those from commenting on it.
adamspencer9512 m ago

people treat it as a tax, and it does get paid into the Government's …people treat it as a tax, and it does get paid into the Government's coffers before distributing back to the BBC so it's close enough

It either is, or it isn't. In this case it isn't. If I were to call it the 'TV tax' many would be offended, you can't have it both ways.
MSK.5 m ago

It either is, or it isn't. In this case it isn't. If I were to call it …It either is, or it isn't. In this case it isn't. If I were to call it the 'TV tax' many would be offended, you can't have it both ways.

in 2016 (i think its a typo and meant 2006) the ONS reclassified the TV license from a service charge to a tax

(wiki)

referencing 'Further Issues for BBC charter review' dated 3 march 2006

page 2
I think if you pay for Sky or Virgin then the licence should be included in that, i,e BBC charge Sky, Virgin for broadcasting it.

If you don't have sky or virgin then fair enough if you watch BBC then perhaps you should contribute, I'd rather be forced to watch a few adverts than pay x amount for a TV License etc. However I do think it's still fairly good value and would rather have it than not.
adamspencer9516 m ago

in 2016 (i think its a typo and meant 2006) the ONS reclassified the TV …in 2016 (i think its a typo and meant 2006) the ONS reclassified the TV license from a service charge to a tax(wiki) referencing 'Further Issues for BBC charter review' dated 3 march 2006page 2

Fair enough, I've learnt something today.

Link for those too lazy to google: en.wikipedia.org/wik…dom

TV tax it is then.
fanpages1 h, 47 m ago

Again, you want me to pay the BBC to watch Knight Rider from 1988 on ITV?

The BBC lovers are free to pay via subscription, oh wait Ferrari are at the front door to tell me I have to pay them for driving a Ford.

NOPE!
You will be able to watch here it: parliamentlive.tv/

I would not be shocked if you required a TV licence to watch it.
MSK.9 m ago

Fair enough, I've learnt something today.Link for those too lazy to …Fair enough, I've learnt something today.Link for those too lazy to google: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom#Reclassification_as_a_taxTV tax it is then.

so did i to be honest - its only when i actually looked it up did i notice
plodging1 h, 17 m ago

Get yourself a job then, this way you will have more money and to pay for TV licence.
Planning on cancelling mine after Christmas as I don't watch any live telly or the catch up. 25 years of paying for period dramas, biased news, mind numbing celeb quizzes, cooking, singing and antique programmes.

ENOUGH !
Graham197946 m ago

You will be able to watch here it: parliamentlive.tv/I would not be …You will be able to watch here it: parliamentlive.tv/I would not be shocked if you required a TV licence to watch it.

I had wondered about that. I guess it depends if the whole debate is broadcast on tv at the same time?

Not sure if there will be any non-iPlayer catch up either.
majdzinski197930 m ago

Get yourself a job then, this way you will have more money and to pay for …Get yourself a job then, this way you will have more money and to pay for TV licence.

Or work and still don't bother with the licence
plodging1 h, 59 m ago

Whilst I agree it's a hefty percentage of the benefit allowance and I'm dead against the BBC TV Licence Fee (what it pays for and how it's enforced)

Can I just point out

Job Seekers is paid to assist you to find work, nothing more, nothing less.
A TV is not a necessity to live (same as the latest smart phones and XBox/Playstaion games system).

Think yourself lucky you have a nice warm room over your head which is probably being paid for by hard working tax payers.

When I left home at 18 I was sleeping rough on sacks of potatoes for weeks on end whilst working at the fruit & veg market from 3am to 12 mid day on low wage before I found full employment whilst waiting to join the army.

Tis a shame conscription is no longer - it would teach some to respect whilst also teaching them a trade.
plodging2 h, 0 m ago

I must have missed watching TV being a human right.
MSK.15 m ago

I had wondered about that. I guess it depends if the whole debate is …I had wondered about that. I guess it depends if the whole debate is broadcast on tv at the same time?Not sure if there will be any non-iPlayer catch up either.

Hopefully there will be a streaming link via youtube (or similar) so that us "tax avoiders" can watch it
I think the BBC should give people discount in low signal areas as they're just too tight and lazy to improve signal reception.
Might it be too much to ask to stay on topic? This thread is about the licence debate and whether or not it should be abolished. Not about benefits.

Oh wait, I nearly forgot I was in misc
philphil613 m ago

Hopefully there will be a streaming link via youtube (or similar) so that …Hopefully there will be a streaming link via youtube (or similar) so that us "tax avoiders" can watch it

I will reply to your comment properly phillip, if you promise to stay on topic.
Edited by: "MSK." 14th Sep 2017
philphil617 m ago

Whilst I agree it's a hefty percentage of the benefit allowance and I'm …Whilst I agree it's a hefty percentage of the benefit allowance and I'm dead against the BBC TV Licence Fee (what it pays for and how it's enforced)Can I just point outJob Seekers is paid to assist you to find work, nothing more, nothing less.A TV is not a necessity to live (same as the latest smart phones and XBox/Playstaion games system).Think yourself lucky you have a nice warm room over your head which is probably being paid for by hard working tax payers.When I left home at 18 I was sleeping rough on sacks of potatoes for weeks on end whilst working at the fruit & veg market from 3am to 12 mid day on low wage before I found full employment whilst waiting to join the army.Tis a shame conscription is no longer - it would teach some to respect whilst also teaching them a trade.

Sacks of potatoes?
You were lucky.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants