Groups

Debate - Is it wrong to make a profit on the most wanted children's christmas toys?

I started a thread the other day asking what the predicted most popular / most wanted children's Christmas toys would be this year. My work colleague had asked me to find a list for them but I am also quite interested myself.

Anyway, I was just wondering what peoples views are of other people buying up stock of the most popular Christmas toys purely to sell on eBay to make a profit?

It is obviously happening quite a bit at the moment, for example - I was told that Go Go Hamsters will be hugely popular this Christmas and even now, most places are sold out of them and there are quite a few on eBay going for double the RRP.

Now before anyone has a go at me, I do not go around buying popular children's toys to make a profit (but I do know people who do) - I am simply asking what peoples opinions are of people that do.

Do you think it is ok to do so or do you think that it is unfair?

29 Comments

i think its ok to do so

I think its perfectly acceptable.

It's the corrupt capitalist world we live in unfortunately hun xx

No, of course it isnt right morally... but morality doesn't figure too important to a lot of people when theres money to be made xx

Those Go Go Hamsters are scary wee things, are they popular? My local Asda has them :?

Banned

i personally wouldnt do it, but they take the chance on buying bulk and being able to sell

Original Poster

I have to admit, I honestly thought I was going to get a load of replies saying it was wrong and greedy, etc.

I personally have no problems with it but overheard a lady in Argos today moaning about trying to get hold of some doll that her daughter wants for Christmas but it is completely sold out and she was blaming eBay sellers for buying them all and selling them at double that cost. According to her, those people are evil!

def go for it, just make sure you get the right one you dont was a room full of plastiuc junk

Why not, People make a profit on food and water and thats essential to live.

If people can buy in buk from a wholesaler then good for them. But to go into a shop and buy one to sell on for more I have a different opinion on, but there are mad people on ebay who will pay silly prices which make them do it!

kimbyanne;6403286

I have to admit, I honestly thought I was going to get a load of replies … I have to admit, I honestly thought I was going to get a load of replies saying it was wrong and greedy, etc. I personally have no problems with it but overheard a lady in Argos today moaning about trying to get hold of some doll that her daughter wants for Christmas but it is completely sold out and she was blaming eBay sellers for buying them all and selling them at double that cost. According to her, those people are evil!

well she was just letting off steam hun, its okay for people to express anger when they feel they've been treated unjustly xxx

kimbyanne;6403286

I have to admit, I honestly thought I was going to get a load of replies … I have to admit, I honestly thought I was going to get a load of replies saying it was wrong and greedy, etc. I personally have no problems with it but overheard a lady in Argos today moaning about trying to get hold of some doll that her daughter wants for Christmas but it is completely sold out and she was blaming eBay sellers for buying them all and selling them at double that cost. According to her, those people are evil!

If you child wants something and its sold out everywhere but loads on ebay for double its only natural to be angry, I havnt been in that situation yet as my 2 are only young and get what they are given most of the time :w00t:

wincey;6403295

Why not, People make a profit on food and water and thats essential to … Why not, People make a profit on food and water and thats essential to live.

Lets not forget that the government are taxing their citizens on everything and anything so the desire to meet those financial demands must be met.

I'm surprised that some people in this thread have mentioned morality on the actions of the common people, yet have failed to criticise and lambast a government that taxes us common people on everything we do.

Tax on making money, Tax on spending money, Tax on living, Tax on Fuel, Tax on broadband I hear is also pushing its way into the limelight......

and we seem to be more judgemental about whether the odd common person makes a few quid on a toy selling it on ebay or somewhere? ....

Yes, indeed....morally we a catching the penny and missing the pound.

Its the way of the world,people buy and sell on for profit.

I've done it myself.

Totally different issue but people knowingly buying stolen/knocked off goods because they are cheap is something i don't approve of.

I agree, 50% income tax is a joke.

Taking from the successful and handing it to those who don't deserve it.

On topic, I don't see a problem with reselling as you've only got yourself to blame for paying such outrageous prices.

StevenA2000_uk;6403349

Lets not forget that the government are taxing their citizens on … Lets not forget that the government are taxing their citizens on everything and anything so the desire to meet those financial demands must be met.I'm surprised that some people in this thread have mentioned morality on the actions of the common people, yet have failed to criticise and lambast a government that taxes us common people on everything we do.Tax on making money, Tax on spending money, Tax on living, Tax on Fuel, Tax on broadband I hear is also pushing its way into the limelight......and we seem to be more judgemental about whether the odd common person makes a few quid on a toy selling it on ebay or somewhere? ....Yes, indeed....morally we a catching the penny and missing the pound.

+1:thumbsup: Sad But So True.

Another way to look at it is that if people were not prepared to spend silly money on the latest 'must have' then the profiteering e-bay sellers would soon lower their prices just to get rid of the 'tat' they've bought.

Although we all know it doesn't work like that, as people will pay daft prices just so that 'little johnny' can have the latest craze :roll:

ClarityofMind;6403245

It's the corrupt capitalist world we live in unfortunately hun xxNo, of … It's the corrupt capitalist world we live in unfortunately hun xxNo, of course it isnt right morally... but morality doesn't figure too important to a lot of people when theres money to be made xx

Exactly my feelings....
    Morally wrong but its a sign of our times and peoples morals in this world.

i did this for the wii i sold loads didnt make lots from it i was providing a service than making pee take profit
    i just loved wii fishing

Go for it, it's all about supply and demand, make a quick few pounds while you can, don't forget if you have it wrong and it's not a 'hot' xmas present you may lose a few bob on the deal!

Banned

abomination;6403395

I agree, 50% income tax is a joke. :)Taking from the successful and … I agree, 50% income tax is a joke. :)Taking from the successful and handing it to those who don't deserve it.On topic, I don't see a problem with reselling as you've only got yourself to blame for paying such outrageous prices.

That's one way of looking at it - personally, I don't mind being taxed if it actually helps those who need it.

Banned

StevenA2000_uk;6403349

Lets not forget that the government are taxing their citizens on … Lets not forget that the government are taxing their citizens on everything and anything so the desire to meet those financial demands must be met.I'm surprised that some people in this thread have mentioned morality on the actions of the common people, yet have failed to criticise and lambast a government that taxes us common people on everything we do.Tax on making money, Tax on spending money, Tax on living, Tax on Fuel, Tax on broadband I hear is also pushing its way into the limelight......and we seem to be more judgemental about whether the odd common person makes a few quid on a toy selling it on ebay or somewhere? ....Yes, indeed....morally we a catching the penny and missing the pound.

But if the 'common person' is willing to squeeze as much money from their fellow 'common people', why should the government act any differently?

FilthAndFurry;6404039

But if the 'common person' is willing to squeeze as much money from their … But if the 'common person' is willing to squeeze as much money from their fellow 'common people', why should the government act any differently?

Simple, the 'common person' as an individual does not have the influence nor the authority to impose or dispose of taxes as the government does. :thumbsup:

Banned

StevenA2000_uk;6404050

Simple, the 'common person' as an individual does not have the influence … Simple, the 'common person' as an individual does not have the influence nor the authority to impose or dispose of taxes as the government does. :thumbsup:

I disagree - the government is representative of the people.

Government OF the people, BY the people, for the people.

Banned

FilthAndFurry;6404109

I disagree - the government is representative of the people.Government OF … I disagree - the government is representative of the people.Government OF the people, BY the people, for the people.

you need to add some people not all........

Original Poster

Interesting replies.

I am considering buying some Toy Story toys and some more Go Go Hamsters (I got two today for my cats, they make really good cat toys!) but I am not going to buy up loads of stuff, you need to spend money to make money and I don't have loads to spend considering whatever I buy would need to keep until November at least. I might buy a few things each month up until beginning of December but I don't want to go mad like some eBay sellers do and be stuck with a load of toys!

not just xmas presents - i tried to get tickets at 8am on wednesday for a concert - £25 each, sold out in half an hour whilst i was still in the que, i wanted to go to the concert - off to work i went, home at lunch time, ebay already had half a dozen sets, ranging in price but one set going for over £800! claiming 'bought in error, didnt realise they couldnt attend' within hours? hmmm doubtful

still i guess i'd not complain if it was me making the profit, just sore im not going :cry:

Original Poster

loupomm;6404340

not just xmas presents - i tried to get tickets at 8am on wednesday for a … not just xmas presents - i tried to get tickets at 8am on wednesday for a concert - £25 each, sold out in half an hour whilst i was still in the que, i wanted to go to the concert - off to work i went, home at lunch time, ebay already had half a dozen sets, ranging in price but one set going for over £800! claiming 'bought in error, didnt realise they couldnt attend' within hours? hmmm doubtfulstill i guess i'd not complain if it was me making the profit, just sore im not going :cry:

I have never understood why people buy concert tickets from eBay, by the time the concert comes around, you are well past your dispute limit and if the tickets don't turn up there is nothing you can do - apart from small claims court.

I get what you mean though, generally business sellers on eBay buy them all up - they all got pretty stung with Michael Jackson though :thumbsup:

this one is in 3 weeks - i wouldnt buy from ebay, couldnt afford to anyway! just a shame real fans miss out or get stung

miffy93;6403458

Another way to look at it is that if people were not prepared to spend … Another way to look at it is that if people were not prepared to spend silly money on the latest 'must have' then the profiteering e-bay sellers would soon lower their prices just to get rid of the 'tat' they've bought.Although we all know it doesn't work like that, as people will pay daft prices just so that 'little johnny' can have the latest craze :roll:

+1

Spot on, they only make a profit by being able to sell to the " soft touch " punters.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions