Groups

Debenhams Gadget Insurance

URGENT REVIEW OF YOUR DEBENHAMS GADGET INSURANCE
    You may be unaware of this fact that gadget insurance which appears to be provided by Debenhams, is in fact not the case. It is provided by Taurus Insurance, a company registered in Gibraltar, underwritten by AMtrust Europe. There terms and conditions are not published when you are searching their website for cover. I choose the Ultimate cover and attempted to make a claim recently.
    One of the conditions of cover is
    Criteria: We can only insure gadget(s) that are:
    1. purchased from a UK registered company supplied with full UK consumer rights and warranties
    No problem I thought, having purchased the Dell laptop brand new with a 4 year warranty! Wrong, they will not accept any claims if the company is not registered at Companies House, although the definition of registered is not defined. Any seller via Amazon or sole traders that have no company registration number will not be covered the the gadget insurance from Debenhams to Taurus Insurance.

I am not sure of the arrangement between Debenhams and Taurus Insurance, but I saw Debenhams as a reputable company, but it seems they will allow the use of their company name for a few extra quid at the expense of U.K. consumers thinking they would be safe with a Debenhams brand.

Check your insurance arrangements now and make alternative policy arrangements if after reading their terms and conditions you find them unfair and beyond what you would consider reasonable.

Other conditions are also very onerous. There may be something in the Debenhams/Taurus Insurance policy that states if you purchased the product on a day ending in Y you cover will be invalid.

8 Comments

emptycans

...There terms and conditions are not published when you are searching … ...There terms and conditions are not published when you are searching their website for cover. I choose the Ultimate cover and attempted to make a claim recently.

All policy documents are available to view / download from this page:
    debenhamsgadgetinsurance.com/gad…nts
    Not clear what you are attempting to say, other than an admission that you didn't read the policy t&c before purchase and you didn't check the status of another company from which you purchased a product. It is always prudent to check the status of a company for any purcase involving a reasonable amount of money, not least of which being: is the merchant registered in UK so that you may have some redress in local courts. Otherwise, for any single purchase over £100, consider buying directly from the merchant using UK credit via an undisputable debtor-creditor-supplier arrangement to benefit from Section75 protection. Maybe S75 may be a solution to your current situation

I doubt you'll find any non insurance company that actually providers insurance . they will just brand as Debenhams have someone elses product and take a % for selling on their behalf. Am sure most high street companies are the same

Original Poster

I did read the policy, purchasing an item via Amazon in the UK and a Dell ultra book with an international warranty would have assumed I was covered. How checks with Companies House if a company is registered, unless of course one has 'issues'. It means buying new from an independent seller means you will not be covered.

My point is it's worth checking if you already have a policy and discover you will not be covered and cancel and get a refund or stop paying the monthly premiums.

emptycans

...My point is it's worth checking if you already have a policy and … ...My point is it's worth checking if you already have a policy and discover you will not be covered and cancel and get a refund or stop paying the monthly premiums.

Amazon UK is not based in UK. Regardless, the true point of worth would be to suggest that people with any insurance policy check its t&c to ensure that the policy provides the cover they expect.
    Is there no S75 option? Is your Deb claim outside of the duration of the Dell 4yr warranty?

Original Poster

The claim was for loss, so warranty with dell is not the issue.

Umm, literally a 10 second Google search shows Dell is registered at companies house.

Registration Details for Dell Companies in United Kingdom

Dell Corporation Limited is registered in England and Wales.
    Company Registration Number: 2081369.
    Registered address: Dell House, The Boulevard, Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1LF, UK.

Dell Corporation Limited trading as Dell SecureWorks is registered in England and Wales
    Company Registration Number: 2081369
    Registered address: Dell House, The Boulevard, Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1LF, UK

Dell Emerging Markets (EMEA) Limited is registered in England and Wales.
    Company Registration Number: 3266654.
    Registered address: Dell House, The Boulevard, Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1LF, UK.

Dell Solutions (UK) Limited is registered in Scotland.
    Company Registration Number: SC125234.
    Registered address: 368 Alexandra Parade, Glasgow, G31 3AU, Scotland.

Dell Software (UK) Limited is registered in England and Wales
    Company Registration Number: 02657165
    Registered address: Dell House, The Boulevard, Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1LF, UK

SecureWorks Europe Limited is registered in England and Wales. Company Registration Number: 9546890

Don't know what your issue is to be honest.

Edited by: "ThePasty" 17th Jun

Original Poster

The issue is not paying out on a policy where the terms are ridiculous are hard to meet

ThePasty

Umm, literally a 10 second Google search shows Dell is registered at … Umm, literally a 10 second Google search shows Dell is registered at companies house.... Don't know what your issue is to be honest.

Don't know what your point is to be honest. OP previously stated the device was purchased from Amazon UK, not Dell, so OP would need CoHse reg for Amazon UK.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?33191
      2. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News44
      3. Now TV CODES - Free Sky Entertainment/Kids/Cinema/Sports1020
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764382

See more discussions