Debenhams Online Returns

Bought some stuff during their 'Spectacular' a few weeks ago.

Returned an item almost immediately as it was too big and the sooner I returned it the sooner I get my refund - or so I thought.

Two weeks and a few calls later and no sign of a refund.

Information is lacking but it appears my return, via their courier, may have gone astray.

Awaiting a call back tomorrow from someone in the team who investigate such issues.

This is my first, and quite likely last, dealing with their online/mail order service but are they usually this crap?

10 Comments

Same issue here - item returned and no refund. I should have learnt from the past 3 times this has happened - shocking service from such a big company.

I have to say I have bought loads of stuff online with them and also returned bits - I find it normally takes about a week and keep you up to date with emails - I have never had a problem with it not going back on my card.

Original Poster

That's why

d-j mitch

I have to say I have bought loads of stuff online with them and also … I have to say I have bought loads of stuff online with them and also returned bits - I find it normally takes about a week and keep you up to date with emails - I have never had a problem with it not going back on my card.

That's why I'm still trying to keep an open mind about their service as I appreciate that they are busy due to their promotions and Xmas.

Each time I've called, staff have been helpful but in-effective - i.e. have failed to provide any tangible information.

Lets see what happens when they call tomorrow.

The only time I have ever had a problem with a Debenham return was when I returned via courier - returns via post office no problem, but courier return just disappeared. I did get my money back but not before I had sent them a number of unhappy emails.

Original Poster

Butterbean

The only time I have ever had a problem with a Debenham return was when I … The only time I have ever had a problem with a Debenham return was when I returned via courier - returns via post office no problem, but courier return just disappeared. I did get my money back but not before I had sent them a number of unhappy emails.

I have confidence in the courier as he is also my courier for Next which I used extensively for purchases/returns years ago and never had a single parcel go astray.

Perhaps it is Debenhams process for handling courier returns that is at fault here.

Original Poster

Well, I've made my mind up - they are a bunch of polite in-competents!

No call back as promised so chased and was told I shouldn't have been promised that.

Was now told the refund will take upto a week to process bringing the total to 3 weeks.
(Compare that to a recent return to GAP where it took just one day to return my money).

Had to insist on speaking to a supervisor and only then did I get some accurate information that my refund was being processed this afternoon - prompted by my call, no doubt - and that it should be in my account within 5 working days.

Definitely, my first and last online/mail order transaction with Debenhams - I knew there was a reason I never visited their stores!

I will never be using their online shop again. I purchased a tiara as a gift for my sister and it arrived in a jiffy bag and broken. I returned it the next day, with a note saying how the packaging was unacceptable, which I also emailed to their head office. The response I got was that it was due to external influences i.e. the post. No responsibility taken for the rather naff way it was parceled up. I eventually get an email 9 days later telling me my refund is complete and that it takes about 5 working days for the money to be returned, I am still waiting and it is 11 days later. I emailed again, this time making it clear how angry I am and the response I get is:

'I am sorry for the disappointment you have had here and can advise you that the refund for the item in question was processed here on 10th July. When an item is returned to us via the post office, we have to allow 10 working days from the date of return to the date when the refunded amount may be expected on the original method of payment. As you returned the item on the 3rd July, we were within the return period when the refund was processed.

I hope that this clarifies the position and please contact us again if we can assist you further.'

I don't care if they met their ridiculous time period (why they have to wait 10 days from my return arriving with them until they can process the refund. Any ideas?) I would like my money back.

Considering online ordering is meant to make things easier, I can safely say in this instance it has not. It is nearly a month now since I placed the original order.

I will never be using their online shop again. I purchased a tiara as a gift for my sister and it arrived in a jiffy bag and broken. I returned it the next day, with a note saying how the packaging was unacceptable, which I also emailed to their head office. The response I got was that it was due to external influences i.e. the post. No responsibility taken for the rather naff way it was parceled up. I eventually get an email 9 days later telling me my refund is complete and that it takes about 5 working days for the money to be returned, I am still waiting and it is 11 days later. I emailed again, this time making it clear how angry I am and the response I get is:

'I am sorry for the disappointment you have had here and can advise you that the refund for the item in question was processed here on 10th July. When an item is returned to us via the post office, we have to allow 10 working days from the date of return to the date when the refunded amount may be expected on the original method of payment. As you returned the item on the 3rd July, we were within the return period when the refund was processed.

I hope that this clarifies the position and please contact us again if we can assist you further.'

I don't care if they met their ridiculous time period (why they have to wait 10 days from my return arriving with them until they can process the refund. Any ideas?) I would like my money back.

Considering online ordering is meant to make things easier, I can safely say in this instance it has not. It is nearly a month now since I placed the original order.

Same problem with no refund ordered clothes on line they took the payment then Emailed to say they did not have the clothes in stock .10 days later and 7 Emails to Head office they are now saying they never took any money and I must send paper Statement proof of the money going out of my account. Will never shop from there again or advise anyone to either am really angry.

Had a problem where my balance was more than I thought . I wanted to speak to customer service but it seems it is all automated which seemed impossible , or is that just me . Eventually got through to new day who said they could not tell me anything they then put me through to an advisor who told me he can only tell me what I have ordered on line not in store , eventually worked in out that £110 should have been returned to me which had not , at this point he was very helpful and sorted refund . .
I also tried to get an extra statement which they charge £3 for each duplicate , must say felt very stressed trying to sort this and will not be using this account again .
Why can't debenhams itemise online statement , next manage to do it and why can't it be a lot easier to speak to someone when there is a problem .
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How dangerous is Donald trump?1332
    2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17396139
    3. A Nigerian prince and bit coins scam55
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764104

See more discussions