Debenhams to close more stores with the loss of 300 jobs

Lead deal editor4
Posted 9th Jun 2020
Another few stores to close, which now makes 20 in total and really feel for those who have lost their jobs

Really tough times for the high street atm, sadly i think this may be the first of many as Virgin have said they will not open their stores once lockdown has been eased BUT jobs are being offered elsewhere in the company.

Debenhams is closing another three stores as the retailer grapples with falling High Street sales made worse by the coronavirus lockdown.

Stores at Milton Keynes, Watford and the Metrocentre, Gateshead, will not re-open after lockdown restrictions are eased, meaning about 300 job losses.

Debenhams said it had failed to agree new rental terms with landlord Intu, itself in financial trouble.

It means 20 Debenhams outlets will now be closed permanently.

Last week, the retailer set out plans to re-open more than 50 shops in England and Northern Ireland with the easing of the lockdown. As part of a restructuring, Debenhams has struck deals with landlords to keep 120 stores open.

The group collapsed into administration for the second time in a year in April after coronavirus heaped pressure on the business.

A spokesperson said on Tuesday: "Sadly we have been unable to agree terms with the landlord. As a result these stores will not be re-opening in line with the rest of the chain next week. We greatly regret the effect on our colleagues, who have served our customers with commitment and dedication."

Debenhams had already announced, since April's administration, 17 stores that would not re-open after lockdown, including in Reading, Leicester, Swindon and Croydon.

As with Tuesday's announcement, Debenhams is understood to have been unable to agree new rent terms with the landlord.

In addition to store closures, Debenhams has been cutting jobs at its head office and closing the majority of its store cafes in a bid to cut costs.

More than 4,000 jobs will be lost as a result of the restructuring. Debenhams collapsed into what is described as a "light touch" administration, where the current management remains in place while the business cuts costs and finds fresh investment.

Source
Community Updates
4 Comments
Given that Debenhams really has nothing unique to offer, they should just rip off the bandage and get it over with. Yes, it will be painful but better than limping along for some more time and dying anyway eventually.
bozo00709/06/2020 17:19

Given that Debenhams really has nothing unique to offer, they should just …Given that Debenhams really has nothing unique to offer, they should just rip off the bandage and get it over with. Yes, it will be painful but better than limping along for some more time and dying anyway eventually.

Yes Debenhams are like Wh Smith, hmv a bit of a dinosaur in the high street, i wonder how they stay open! They just don't sell what people want or are to expensive.Nowadays people want Primark or Poundland & similar shop's!.
I worked in Debenhams for 8 years until the end of May, where they made me redundant with 3 days notice via a phone call (which I was asked to mute at my end so I couldn’t verbally reply). As someone who worked in a store I could see this coming, the footfall in our store was so low. You had a lot of people browsing but not a lot of people buying. The biggest sales came from the makeup concessions like benefit, MAC ect... which I’m not sure Debenhams themselves saw much or any money from them sales.

Our store was aimed at the wrong demographic, I live in a city where there are over 30,000 students practically living on the same street as Debenhams, yet they never marketed their stock to students, offered student discount or anything like that to try and capture their sales. I know they probably thought students wouldn’t buy from them as they are expensive but they never even tried. A lot of the stock was unfashionable or overpriced and the store had an odd layout.

It’s a big blow to everybody who has lost their jobs and a big blow to the high street but I’m sure other shops will soon fill the spaces Debenhams left behind, life goes on and Debenhams may soon be a distant memory.
TheMissBlue10/06/2020 02:27

I worked in Debenhams for 8 years until the end of May, where they made me …I worked in Debenhams for 8 years until the end of May, where they made me redundant with 3 days notice via a phone call (which I was asked to mute at my end so I couldn’t verbally reply). As someone who worked in a store I could see this coming, the footfall in our store was so low. You had a lot of people browsing but not a lot of people buying. The biggest sales came from the makeup concessions like benefit, MAC ect... which I’m not sure Debenhams themselves saw much or any money from them sales. Our store was aimed at the wrong demographic, I live in a city where there are over 30,000 students practically living on the same street as Debenhams, yet they never marketed their stock to students, offered student discount or anything like that to try and capture their sales. I know they probably thought students wouldn’t buy from them as they are expensive but they never even tried. A lot of the stock was unfashionable or overpriced and the store had an odd layout. It’s a big blow to everybody who has lost their jobs and a big blow to the high street but I’m sure other shops will soon fill the spaces Debenhams left behind, life goes on and Debenhams may soon be a distant memory.

Sorry to hear about you loosing your job.It does make you wonder if you & me can see what is wrong with Debenhams, why can't the management of the company see that too! Im unemployed too.As you say Debenhams will be like Woolworths a distant memory quite soon.
Post a comment
@
    Text