Debit Card blocked

Found 29th Mar 2015
I entered the wrong pin three times, does that mean I can't use my card to buy things online or just withdraw money? It wasn't actually my fault I think Lloyds provided me with an incorrect pin number as I had the letter on me.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Card
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Card
15 Comments
U still can use it online.. Just can't make a payment instore and using ATM
Bank helplines are usually open 24 hrs. Ring them and they may be able to unblock it or send u out a new pin
Always use a credit card online, never a debit card.

Give your bank a call and they'll reactivate the card after you answer some security questions.
3 times wrong instore = instore purchases blocked untill used in cash machine with correct pin, 3 goes in cash machine, if wrong after that contact bank to reset, the card reader you used may have been faulty and registered 2 presses when you pressed once. as far as online purchases go I would guess that they are not affected by your pin problems.
Have you activated the new card? Some banks now make you phone their activation line first or use the card in one of their cash machines. Also, I had this problem and it turned out that I hasn't used the new card quick enough - apparantly the pin number is only valid for a set amount of time if the card isn't used.
Maybe there was a skimming device fitted to the machine and now your card details and your pin are in the wrong hands

Comment

eternaldragonuk

3 times wrong instore = instore purchases blocked untill used in cash … 3 times wrong instore = instore purchases blocked untill used in cash machine with correct pin, 3 goes in cash machine, if wrong after that contact bank to reset, the card reader you used may have been faulty and registered 2 presses when you pressed once. as far as online purchases go I would guess that they are not affected by your pin problems.

Pretty sure this is right. My understanding is:
You can reset in cash machine if blocked by chip and pin in store.
Your card gets eaten by machine if wrong 3x in cash machine.
Pin locked cards still work online
is this a new card?

did you use it in an ATM?

EliTom
Edited by: "elitom" 29th Mar 2015
If its a new card you'll probably have to call your bank to activate it first
Call the bank if its a new one as something clearly isn't right.

Also check you're using the correct card, I did that once and realized I was using my CC as they both looked the same.

Lastly, if you still have the card it can be used online. By entering the PIN 3 times incorrect in-store I know it just temporarily blocks the card for 24 hours before trying again.
Edited by: "joshp" 29th Mar 2015
MrSpooniverse

Have you activated the new card? Some banks now make you phone their … Have you activated the new card? Some banks now make you phone their activation line first or use the card in one of their cash machines. Also, I had this problem and it turned out that I hasn't used the new card quick enough - apparantly the pin number is only valid for a set amount of time if the card isn't used.

Ohh that explains why my pin didn't work with Santander, had to go home check the pin and go back to cash point to make sure.
shak

Always use a credit card online, never a debit card. Give your bank a … Always use a credit card online, never a debit card. Give your bank a call and they'll reactivate the card after you answer some security questions.

If what you are buying is under £100 then debit card is by far the best option as you will not have any protection at all with a credit card.
Argoj

If what you are buying is under £100 then debit card is by far the best … If what you are buying is under £100 then debit card is by far the best option as you will not have any protection at all with a credit card.

It's not the protection, it's about if they or you get hacked. With a debit they're straight into you bank account, with a credit you call them and problem solved.
shak

It's not the protection, it's about if they or you get hacked. With a … It's not the protection, it's about if they or you get hacked. With a debit they're straight into you bank account, with a credit you call them and problem solved.

From that point of view exactly the same with a debit card. In fact you're more likely to hit verification problems if you're trying to defraud a debit card then you are with a credit card. I have to date had three phone calls from my bank asking if I am using my debit card (twice it wasn't me) and none for my credit card which I have had fraudulent charges on more then once. Crazy really as both are with the same bank.

In future I'd be careful about having your pin number written down, and especially carrying it with your debit card (I'm sure this was just because it was new). You'd potentially be liable for any money lost if these were stolen together.

sparc

I entered the wrong pin three times, does that mean I can't use my … I entered the wrong pin three times, does that mean I can't use my card to buy things online or just withdraw money? It wasn't actually my fault I think Lloyds provided me with an incorrect pin number as I had the letter on me.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants