Groups
    EXPIRED

Debit Cards.

Right, seeing as my Solo card won't work for the contract I am trying to buy, and I plan to change bank next month when I've got my yearly interest.

I'm curious to know what other banks offer a live cash card, Direct Debit account for 16 year olds?

Thanks,
    James

13 Comments

Visa/MC/Amex etc all need you to be 18 only.

AIUI retailers need to have special merchant services to accept solo/electron or similar which is why alot don't accept it.

Most banks will do a cash card, doesn't mean its a full Visa card or evena debit card of anyu kind, direct debit I'm not sure on, i suspect thats 18+

And you mention contract, mobile contract? which means 18 years old and older only if so, you need someone to order the contract in their for you basically.

HSBC should offer maestro to 16 year olds.

Probably the best way forward

Original Poster

shimagoza

HSBC should offer maestro to 16 year olds.Probably the best way forward

Got Solo with HSBC. Yeh know, giving parents details (with their consent) and my bank details.

Seems proving regular income is the success to getting a maestro card.
    Essentially this is because of the cheque guarantee (debiting) function.

Worth going into a bank and talking to a human being about this one probably.

Original Poster

shimagoza

Seems proving regular income is the success to getting a maestro … Seems proving regular income is the success to getting a maestro card.Essentially this is because of the cheque guarantee (debiting) function.Worth going into a bank and talking to a human being about this one probably.

I'm possibly about to go into further education doing AS-levels, and I do have a regular income. (16hours a week part-time) Though that means I'll be paying tax where if I do get into college depending on my GCSE results, full time students don't pay tax?

ty j

get the tuxedo blue diamond card anyone can use it:)

Yeah you should get tax benefits (aka not really charged much) for being in full time education. But what the bank are interested in, is will they be getting regular credits to your bank account from your employer?
    This is what they want to know. That's why speaking with a "human" being would probably get you further because they will be able to see (understand) what you are asking for, and why you want it.
    Otherwise you'll be judged heavily on your age, and financial status.

Hope that helps mate, good luck

jamesterror

I'm possibly about to go into further education doing AS-levels, and I do … I'm possibly about to go into further education doing AS-levels, and I do have a regular income. (16hours a week part-time) Though that means I'll be paying tax where if I do get into college depending on my GCSE results, full time students don't pay tax?ty j

It doesn't matter whether you're a student or not, you WILL have to pay income tax if you earn more than £5225 this tax year.

It seems to be an urban myth that students are exempt - perhaps confusion with council tax, etc...?

Original Poster

martinfriar

It doesn't matter whether you're a student or not, you WILL have to pay … It doesn't matter whether you're a student or not, you WILL have to pay income tax if you earn more than £5225 this tax year.It seems to be an urban myth that students are exempt - perhaps confusion with council tax, etc...?

No I understand the tax system. I have a job at the civil service with the DWP if my exams haven't gont as I hoped. I earn less than the minimum requirement to pay tax.

Cheers, Rep given. I'll pop into HSBC tomorrow before work and see what they say about it.

I have a debit card with Halifax

Visa maestro (sp)

Original Poster

thfc andyp3

I have a debit card with HalifaxVisa maestro (sp)

How old are you? I'm 16.. Thats my problem. :X

jamesterror

How old are you? I'm 16.. Thats my problem. :X

15, i've had it for 2 years now

Original Poster

thfc andyp3

15, i've had it for 2 years now

I have an account with Halifax its a savings though so won't want to touch. Cheers, rep given xx
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767471
      2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691425
      3. word association Game74044579
      4. One thing you've forgotten911

See more discussions