Debt collection letter for a debt 5 years ago that I didn't know about!

Found 18th Dec 2015
I've just got a letter from Sky/ debt collector saying they have took over this debt from sky and that I owe £126!!!!! It's the first I have heard of it. I cancelled Sky in my old house 5+ years ago and the breakdown of it says "early termination charge" £55 - but it wasn't an early cancellation plus usage charges.
It also says despite previous attempts to contact you.... This is the first I've heard of it. I wish I still had the original documents as there was nothing to suggest I had this outstanding debt then.
I will contact them tomorrow :-( Not sure what to do, it seems very unfair this.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
don't stress too much,ask them to prove its owed.
stealthybadger

don't stress too much,ask them to prove its owed.

Thanks, I will
It's probably legit in the sense you owed it but moved on before you knew about it.
Alls you can do is phone them but I think you'll find they'll say it's nothing to do with them ( Sky ) now and the matter rests with the debt collector.
So stand firm and tell them you didn't know of any such cancellation charges and this is causing unnecessary stress!
Should they fail to compromise then a letter to OFCOM should make them realise it really isn't worth pursuing.
Have you since took out another contract with sky under the same name? Surly if you have they had an obligation to tell you then as surly they would not allow another unless the previous (believed) debt was settled?
where do you live? if someone approached you for a debt thats over 4 years old, and you have never had contact with the company, there is a law that says you dont have to pay it,,, ill look for it
moneyaware.co.uk/201…bt/

i have used thus for an overpayment of wages, and also some family members got chased up for debt they did not remember or know about,, you must not admit liability and send them a letter
scott_campbell9

where do you live? if someone approached you for a debt thats over 4 … where do you live? if someone approached you for a debt thats over 4 years old, and you have never had contact with the company, there is a law that says you dont have to pay it,,, ill look for it

Statute of limitations. It's 6 years in England and Wales, 5 years in Scotland
Dear Sirs,

Account No:

You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.

I would point out that under The Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 Part 1 Prescription Section 6:
"If after an appropriate date, an obligation (an appropriate debt) has subsided for a continuous period of five years:
(a) without any relevant claim having been made in relation to the obligation, and
(b) without the subsistence of the obligation having been relevantly acknowledged;
then as from the expiration of that period the obligation shall be extinguished..."

I would also point out that the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that:
"It is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period".

Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under Part 1 Section 6 of the above Act, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that:
"continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment".

I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

Without Prejudice,

scooby doo

this is the exact letter i used, but it will vary

Just ignore imo .... Sky and Murdoch are a bunch of chancers and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
I wouldn't worry too much, if it turns out you do owe them money then pay it back at £2 a month or something ridiculous. Most people wouldn't notice £2 a month and it's saving any extra charges but if you can get out of paying it then that's even better.
scott_campbell9

Dear Sirs,Account No: You have contacted me regarding the account with … Dear Sirs,Account No: You have contacted me regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself.I would point out that under The Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 Part 1 Prescription Section 6:"If after an appropriate date, an obligation (an appropriate debt) has subsided for a continuous period of five years:(a) without any relevant claim having been made in relation to the obligation, and(b) without the subsistence of the obligation having been relevantly acknowledged;then as from the expiration of that period the obligation shall be extinguished..."I would also point out that the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) say under their Debt Collection Guidance on statute barred debt that:"It is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period".Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under Part 1 Section 6 of the above Act, I suggest that you are no longer able to take any court action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that:"continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment".I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.Without Prejudice,scooby doothis is the exact letter i used, but it will vary

Wow! Thank you very very much!
skintgirl6

Wow! Thank you very very much!

That letter is only going to do you any good if you live in Scotland, there are different rules if you are in England as your profile says.

It's six years in England, your problem will be you have moved, they can legitmately state that they have tried contacting you at you old address for the last five years and that will be enough to reset the time limits to the date of the last letter they sent, either to your current or previous addresses.

Your best course of action is not to ignore this, Sky and other media companies are being much more stringent in chasing early cancellation charges on contracts to the point of taking cases to court. Inform the debt agency that you are in dispute with Sky over these charges, they are then barred from any further contact with you until resolved.

Contact Sky and tell them you were unaware of the charges and ask them for copies of bills stating what these charges are for and the dates covered. Your next step will then depend on what Sky send you.

talk to Sky on their Chat webpage for free - it helped me when I had a similar debt issue
Use the Consumer Action Group website for precise details of how others have dealt with similar situations, will be loads of listings for payments claimed by Sky. Talktalk chased me for debts after cancelling while the account was closed and still in credit, they ended up paying me!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants