Debt Recovery Plus - Bandits!

Posted 12th Dec 2019
3362144-2VO11.jpg

Only got this letter today, had no prior mail from them. The location is a hotel, where I pulled in to turn around, I must have been in the hotel car park less than 10 seconds. Literally, pull in, turn around and out again.

I notice on the letter it doesn't say FINE anywhere, it states i "didn't pay what you owe" all very third person/vague..

Where do I stand on this? Do I pay it, do I ignore it?

Cheers
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
Have you called them and told them you never received their previous correspondence? If so what did they say?
I’d get as much info as possible. Find out why you have to pay, I would expect that a fine would have been issued to you by DVLA or a ticket warden. Didn’t realise businesses could issue fines themselves? Ask for a copy of all original letters and ask them where they got the information that you ‘refused to pay’ as stated in their letter, you’ve never refused as you weren’t even aware
So you neither stopped the engine, nor got out of the vehicle, nor stayed for what is considered a period of time beyond a 3 point turn?

If that's the case tell them to stick it, you refute the claim as you did not actually "park"

private land? ..you can always ask them to prove the sum of their loss and the adequacy of signs in relation to someone making a turn because they realised they didn't have adequate change.
Parking is the act of stopping and disengaging a vehicle and leaving it unoccupied.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 12th Dec 2019
I've tried ringing, but it just cuts off before anyone answers. I'll try again in the morning. And no, the satnav was taking me the wrong way, so I pulled into the hotel which is on the left hand side of the road, turned around and exited to go back down the road I was coming up from. In and out in less than ten seconds as there wasn't much traffic on the road.

I've been on MSE and they say to ignore them until I get a letter from the court enforcing it, but I'd rather it didn't get to that stage as I CBA with the stress/faff.
Looking at the reason, it says 'Vehicle not registered' which suggests you had no right or permission to be there, irrespective of whether you stopped or not.

That's how the evil scammers will get you.
Edited by: "Gollywood" 12th Dec 2019
Gollywood12/12/2019 17:43

Looking at the reason, it says 'Vehicle not registered' which suggests you …Looking at the reason, it says 'Vehicle not registered' which suggests you had no right or permission to be there, irrespective of whether you stopped or not.That's how the evil scammers will get you.

I'd guess this is the case too and as it is private land they are effectively prosecuting you for trespassing. If its a parking fine then I think you have a case as you didn't stop the engine
Go to your nearest CAB and take the letter with you. They can advise best course of action
39338845-UzRPg.jpg
I think I'd contact the hotel and find out their side. They may have some sway in getting it quashed if you ask politely. Also, they will probably be able to tell you their policies and whether there are appropriate signs telling you it is private (or managed) parking.

Good luck. Hope you can get something sorted BadMF as this sucks...
Re reading the letter it clearly says you refused to pay the parking charge. I'd go to citizens advice as someone else has suggested. They would need to prove that you didn't comply with the parking notices and as you didn't actually stop then it isn't reasonable for you to have been able to read them. Seems pretty clear cut to me. I'd definitely contact them though, is there an email address if you can't get through on the phone?
chrisjackson12/12/2019 18:03

Some tips here :https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.debtrecoveryplus.co.uk

That one about notifying you within 14 days is interesting. Some good advice there, thanks
What’s the hotel? I’d like to view it on Google to see the signage outside
There is no signage in the car park, only by the entrance to the hotel which isn’t visible from the car park, there’s also no signage prior or upon entering the car park.

Having googled the hotel after this, it seems there are two businesses also on this bit of car park, and the hotel has had a tiff with them about parking spots, so the hotel have done this to pester their customers into not coming back as they’ve been hit with fines.
deleted2203621
A bit off topic (sorry) but how the heck have they got 1.5 stars on trustpilot when 100% of their reviews are "bad" (1 star)?
Hmmmmm
I don’t give trust pilot much, well trust. After I used an online butchers and got sent rotting meat, I left a negative review on trust pilot, 20 minutes later the company had my review taken down with zero explanation, so I don’t put much faith in the website.
If it was me, I'd bin that letter. You'll hear horror stories but that's what they are.

PS, do not contact them!!!
Edited by: "STRICKIBHOY" 12th Dec 2019
Put the question on here the experts will tell you what to do, latest advice is not to ignore them

forums.pepipoo.com/ind…=30
Tell them you didn't enter the car park you just turned around because you was lost. Then ask them to give you the exact time you entered and left and that will prove it. After that refuse to pay they won't take you to court because it won't stand up in court
STRICKIBHOY12/12/2019 19:50

If it was me, I'd bin that letter. You'll hear horror stories but that's …If it was me, I'd bin that letter. You'll hear horror stories but that's what they are.PS, do not contact them!!!

BadMF12/12/2019 17:35

I've been on MSE and they say to ignore them until I get a letter from the …I've been on MSE and they say to ignore them until I get a letter from the court enforcing it, but I'd rather it didn't get to that stage as I CBA with the stress/faff.

Do not do this.

Also, you need to contact the car park management company, not debt recovery plus. No need to contact them and certainly don't say anything that they may use against you. If what you say is correct then any "evidence" they have will prove your innocence. Contact UK car park management and ask for a subject access request as per their privacy policy. They should then have to send you EVERYTHING they have on you, including any letters they have supposedly sent you.
Yes, they needed to have sent you a letter within 14 days. If they haven't, they have no right to chase the OWNER (protection of freedom act).

DO NOT TELL ANYONE, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WHO WAS THE DRIVER. You should only ever refer to the case as THE OWNER.
Ask them to prove you parked there and not used the car park as a through route (something they cannot legally charge for as its not classed as a toll road.) there are no alleged times on that letter so that is a breach of parking regulations. Just tell them to feel free to take it to court. They won't win, period.
BadMF12/12/2019 18:45

There is no signage in the car park, only by the entrance to the hotel …There is no signage in the car park, only by the entrance to the hotel which isn’t visible from the car park, there’s also no signage prior or upon entering the car park. Having googled the hotel after this, it seems there are two businesses also on this bit of car park, and the hotel has had a tiff with them about parking spots, so the hotel have done this to pester their customers into not coming back as they’ve been hit with fines.

Doesn't sound like they can do anything without evidence - we are getting a company to process our private road because people getting taking the **** and taking up our car parks.
To get them to charge a fee we have to photograph the offending vehicle with the no parking sign in shot.

They just put up the signs yesterday but even the signs are a good few meters away from the cars so even if we do get the sign in shot it wont be readable, so not quite sure if that will work. But hopefully it will stop people parking on our road and on the off-street parking spots.
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 13th Dec 2019
Don’t call them, it’s safe to ignore, they are powerless in this case and cannot chase this debt. Please visit either pepipoo or moneys a ringexperts for further advice.
Bin it .. it's BS praying on people to be scared into paying when you will never actually have to.
A lot of conflicting advice on here. I’ve checked on mse and they say to ignore until they enforce the debt through court action?
Ignore it ... Do not reply. Shred it.

Pepipoo forum is helpful.
I have found whether you reply with an evidence bundle, it goes ignored. I had to send a threatening legal letter that worked for one firm.

Only once did I receive a court summons that was from a hospital car park administered by Parking Eye. I was accompanying a relative to an appointment and hadn't realised or told I could get this validated. After emailing the medical director and a return phone call it was cancelled.
Edited by: "Sammy86" 15th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants