Groups

Debts frozen / written off due to ill health?

Hi, asking on behalf of a friend. They had an agreement to repay a said debt off at £20 a month each for two separate debts, but shortly before Christmas another company sent one saying they had taken on the debts and were increasing it to £35.00 each a month. Well, obviously it was a stressful situation and my friend ended up having a cardiac arrest (not solely due to this but general ill heart health and stress too) and they have a defibrillator pacemaker fitted as it was very near fatal.
    The doctors have stressed that they need rest and little / no stress. I'm trying to deal with their bills and wondered if there was any Le-way given the nature of recent medical issues, at least to keep the previous agreement?

11 Comments

Without offending too many this might not be the best place to ask...

The best forum out their (IMO) and thousands others is...

consumeractiongroup.co.uk/for…php

If anything can be done they will talk you through every step.

Good Luck

I would write a detailed letter and see what comes of it, all the while paying the £20.00/m.
    If they take action no court in the land wouldn't be sympathetic.
    The important thing is to tell your friend you're dealing with it, and perhaps have them sign a letter to say you're their agent acting on their behalf on this matter.

Write a letter, chances are you will get an automated response asking for a letter from your doctor and budget form showing your expenses.
    Depending on the company you will struggle to get the debt written off, it will take a lot of effort on your part, but you will be able to start a plan to pay less a month. Both options affect your credit rating negatively.

Do you have details of the type of debt i.e. was it credit card, council tax etc. as this can effect the potential action the creditor may take

I cant see how the terms of the contract can change just because the company has changed. Refuse in writing. And say you are writing to your MP

Original Poster

rugbymike

Do you have details of the type of debt i.e. was it credit card, council … Do you have details of the type of debt i.e. was it credit card, council tax etc. as this can effect the potential action the creditor may take

It was credit card and store card

Original Poster

allowed

I cant see how the terms of the contract can change just because the … I cant see how the terms of the contract can change just because the company has changed. Refuse in writing. And say you are writing to your MP

Touch wood they haven't increased the direct debit, in fact i think it is still set up for the old collection company and these are requesting a new one for the £35 each to them. I called Capquest up, very polite but you go round in circles as i'm not the debtor. They said to put it in writing about the illness etc. So I will write a letter and state £20 is all that they can afford (do it as though it is from my friend and get them to sign it) with proof of the medical issue (scan their pacemaker card that they carry and discharge letter from hospital) and see how get on.
    Thanks everyone :-)

Continue to pay the £20. Refuse any increase. I'm certain they can't do anything so long as you are making the originally agreed payment. If they wanted to take it to court, which I'm certain they wouldn't, the court would just order an affordable amount to be paid, which may indeed be less than the £20. It's really not worth their effort doing anything if you are making regular payments.

Hope your friend gets back on his feet quickly. He really doesn't want to be worrying about this, he's in a good position and with your help to filter the details that reach him he can safely forget about this and count the days until he's debt free.

skintgirl6

Touch wood they haven't increased the direct debit, in fact i think it is … Touch wood they haven't increased the direct debit, in fact i think it is still set up for the old collection company and these are requesting a new one for the £35 each to them. I called Capquest up, very polite but you go round in circles as i'm not the debtor. They said to put it in writing about the illness etc. So I will write a letter and state £20 is all that they can afford (do it as though it is from my friend and get them to sign it) with proof of the medical issue (scan their pacemaker card that they carry and discharge letter from hospital) and see how get on.Thanks everyone :-)

Why dont you say you can no longer afford £20 and wat to pay £5

In my experience they will not send debt collectors round. They will continue to send debt letters threatening that they will send people round but they won't! The debt letters are often written like they are from official solicitors but they are often just a subsidiary of the credit card company themselves to scare you with a fancy name! (although I believe this practice is no longer legal). I would send a letter to the company with the breakdown of your income and outgoings (just leaving enough for the £5/£10/£20 payment). Continue to send a regular payment each month and request they freeze any interest. They won't do this to start with but just keeping telling them this is all you can afford. It may take months but eventually they should agree to freeze the interest. Just remember though that doing something like this will effect their credit rating for at least 6 years. I know it may sound a scary prospect for the debtor but the credit card debts are the lowest priority debts. I would also suggest following the advice above of paying less than £20 each month as you only need to make a token payment so it doesn't matter if it's £5 or £20!

Contact StepChange (formally Consumer Credit Councilling Service) for free and impartial advice and they will give you the help you need to sort this out.
    They have a free phone number
    08001381111 or you can visit their website stepchange.org
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Recommend a free reminder app1312
      2. parquet floor sanded34
      3. I am hoping to sound you good people out about an idea...55
      4. ebay33

See more discussions