Decent 1st Gaming Laptop for a young person?

Groups

6 Comments
Its not bad depends what he wants to play, fortnite by any chance? if so should be fine, 1st PC and young so I doubt he is looking to be looking for 4k 120fps gaming and would be happy with high settings at 60fps.

My advice would be if you can a 1060 would be much better but you may have to pay for that but if you can find a 1050ti again would push things a little better the 1050 is 2GB and the Ti is usually 4GB.

GTX 1050 Average Benchmark Results:

Battlefield 1 – High Quality – Full HD: 50-60fps

Gears of War 4 – High Quality – Full HD: 50-60fps

DOOM – High Quality – Full HD: 60fps

Grand Theft Auto V – High Quality – Full HD :50-60fps

GTX 1050 Ti Average Benchmark Results:

Battlefield 1 – Ultra Quality – Full HD: 40-60fps

Gears of War 4 – High Quality – Full HD: 50-70fps

DOOM – Ultra Quality – Full HD:60fps

Grand Theft Auto V – High Quality – Full HD: 60-70fps
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 29th Sep
I won't pick laptop with dual-core, 4 GB RAM, and 128GB SSD

Can you uplift your budget to £600?
There are few new laptop or refurb with 12 months warranty with quad core CPU, 8GB RAM and GTX 1050.
Thanks for the replies Mr S and Cisco.

Turns out Fortnite is soooooo last year and for kids, so that game is out. Then I thought he'd want it to play Overwatch or Forza Horizon which he plays on the xbox.

I knew he wants it / needs it for secondary school next year, but when I actually asked what games he fancied playing he said Minecraft :/
Minecraft ffs.

I don't even think he knows what he wants a laptop for really.

Again, I appreciate the replies. I'll have to have a think it getting a proper laptop is a waste of money or not, even if he is saving for it himself.
No just no. 4gb ram you want to be looking at 8gb bare minimum 16gb better. Also look for 1060 6gb minimum.
Bargainhead30/09/2019 21:07

No just no. 4gb ram you want to be looking at 8gb bare minimum 16gb …No just no. 4gb ram you want to be looking at 8gb bare minimum 16gb better. Also look for 1060 6gb minimum.

Okay.

So minimum:
8gb ram
1060 graphic card?
Dual core processor
128gb ssd
Atomm30/09/2019 22:32

Okay. So minimum: 8gb ram1060 graphic card?Dual core processor 128gb ssd

The cpu would work but more cores would be better, the hard drive is up to you, you can always buy bigger later and swap out or add usb storage. Will be slower but could use ssd for os then add usb for extra.

Ryzen are are cheaper than intel, you might get more cores for your money that way. Also have you thought of a desktop you will get a much better pc for the price....

people who who have a 1050 will say how good they are, but fact is as games move on you will be left behind with them or have to play on low settings. Then you need to buy another pc, better off spending more now and saving in the long run
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants