Groups

Decent broadband connection?

My BT contract is coming to an end. It has been pretty good but the last couple of months the broadband has just been breaking up a lot.

I was wondering if you could help me and let me know which provider you think is the best for connection? up to 38mb is ok for me. I was thinking of Vodafone broadband?

9 Comments

mines with VM has been since the year dot. Can obviously get cheaper but ours has always been 99% reliable and stable. although u do have to ditch the hub they give u. wifi range is poor. But ide guess all the free routers are basic. VM not an option for all i know.

Ask in your street.

Well most providers will use the same infrastructure so provider wont make much difference unless you change to Cable.

What modem/router set up you running? I'm sure some tech heads on here could advise you how to improve your home network.

As for switching, BT are actually the best phone line broadband provider there is, i would try get a retentions deal with them before considering a switch.

Virgin are great if your considering cable broadband, after the first year they added a rolling loyalty credit to my account, I pay £38.99 for the £50 300mbps bundle.

Sky fibre has always been fantastic for me, but your location probably makes a massive difference.
    Best to ask locally IMO.

I'm as far east as you can go without falling in the sea.

I pay £26 for sky fibre max I get round 60 mbps down and 15 upload. free phone line. sky talk anytime. sky q box and set top box bundle. all this for 26 pound as a new customer. I'm really happy with it. sky's upload speed is faster than virgin and my ping is lower too.

brendanhickey

I pay £26 for sky fibre max I get round 60 mbps down and 15 upload. free … I pay £26 for sky fibre max I get round 60 mbps down and 15 upload. free phone line. sky talk anytime. sky q box and set top box bundle. all this for 26 pound as a new customer. I'm really happy with it. sky's upload speed is faster than virgin and my ping is lower too.

What's your upload? Just curious as you mentioned it's higher than virgin (mine on virgin is 26-28mbps)

Cheers

I am on Plusnet. Been with them for 3 years and has not missed a beat. Disconnected about 3 times since I joined but then came back up within minutes. And most importantly I get MAX SPEED, the full 75mb download speeds at all times and has never been throttled (and I download...a LOT)

Edited by: "Naruto" 30th Nov 2016

Details.

Are you currently on ADSL or Fibre?

By break-up, do you mean you lose the connection, or problems with bad voice call quality.

Connection issues could be the line, so changing provider wont help, exchange equipment - ditto, router issues. (HomeHubs have a number of known issues), or wifi issues (if you connect via wifi).

Best place to go and look at the different providers is ispreview, they list ALL the ISPs, not just the big ones.

You may notice that none of the "Top 10 ISP by customer numbers" also feature in the "Top 10 ISPs by customer review"

Be aware, that if you already have fibre, you will have to pay to have it ceased, then pay again for the new provider to enable it (stupid eh??); if you are on ADSL you will also have to pay a cease fee.

AStonedRaichu

Well most providers will use the same infrastructure so provider wont … Well most providers will use the same infrastructure so provider wont make much difference unless you change to Cable.

Yeah, the ISP specific bits of the internet rarely go down and are fixed promptly when they do. Anything that's been dragging on for a couple of months is a local problem. Either on a neaby part of the line that only serves a few premises or on the network inside your home.

Either way, switching ISP isn't going to fix it directly. Have you been in contact with BT to try and get the issue sorted?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV presenter doesn't die but gets damages from the Police - is that…33
      2. Advertised on Gumtree55
      3. Remortgaging to pay off debt89
      4. Cheapest new phone line install existing customer56

See more discussions