Groups
    EXPIRED

Decent budget motherboard and processor (AMD)

Hi all

Looking to upgrade my PC from the AMD 64 Athlon 3700+ socket 939 processor currently installed on an AGP motherboard - with something a bit pokier. I know I will probably need to change the memory and also my AGP graphics card with a PCI version.

So, any suggestions on what to get - without breaking the bank. Looking to spend around £ 60/70 on the processor and mobo - so looking for suggestions fo rwhat to go for and where to get it..

Currently using an AMD processor, but don't really know the equivalent Intel products.

I have 2 1TB drives waiting for a new home with a fresh copy of Windows 7...

3 Comments

go to sleep haha! :thumbsup:

hi i have a gigabyte ga 61sme-s2 with a amd64 x2 4200 2.2ghz cpu see here - gigabyte.com.tw/Pro…507 and here - google.co.uk/sea…x-a
    they are in a little used system running windows 7 at the moment, if that is any good for you, you can have it for £50.00

I'm in lincoln collection would be preferred, but postage at cost can be arranged.
    steve

A PCI-Express graphics card is a better choice, PCI cards tend to be rather expensive for what they are.

At a budget of £60-70 for both you're going to be pushing it, you'll probably end up close to £80. Remember you may also have to buy new memory as well.

As for CPUs the Athlon II X2 240 and the Celeron E3200/E3300 look like good bets.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk22
      2. Win a Karcher Xpert Pressure Washer88
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains98
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33

See more discussions