Decent car speakers to replace stock ones?

Found 14th Aug 2012
Hello fellow miscers, need a bit of advice.

Just bought an astra and the stock speakers are pants.

Can anyone recommend some quality speakers?

Budget is <£40 for a pair.

Need crisp sounding music with a nice amount of bass.

Just want the best bang for buck speakers available.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
MiscCarSpeaker
12 Comments
Problem you have is the head unit will only push out a certain amount of power, probably about 15 watts, which is enough to power the 'pants' speakers you have, but not enough to power a massive huge wattage pair you will get for £40, it is something you will need to bear in mind when fitting new ones.

I have never seen the Astra speakers, but usually fitting speakers means removing the old ones, the plugs, then reconnecting using mounts which you may need to buy, but then there is no guarantee they will sound any better.

My advice, and I know it sounds silly, is to get the lowest wattage possible, to bring them as close to your head unit as possible in power rating, therefore you will not blow them apart when they are working hard. Other than that, think about getting a small amp, even a 200 watt amp in a car will make a massive difference, there is no need to fit subs.
When did op say that the head unit was stock/ standard??? They could have descent head unit
Decent
ifrazalam

When did op say that the head unit was stock/ standard??? They could have … When did op say that the head unit was stock/ standard??? They could have descent head unit

Well, it's a pretty good assumption considering the OP 'Just' bought the Astra, and you really brought a solution to the table in your comment.
I've got a Sony head unit which I put in, sounds better than stock astra head unit but not as good as I'd like.

Could anyone recommend some speakers to get the best out of my Sony?

I'll try and get a link showing which unit I've got.

Thanks for the comments so far
This is the unit I've got currently.

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/made-for-ipod-car-cd-player/cdx-gt550ui

So need some speakers to get the best out of these.

Any help would be great, thanks
Buy some 6x9 speakers and put them onto your parcel shelf?
MarzBarz

Buy some 6x9 speakers and put them onto your parcel shelf?

Sorry, don't quite follow, parcel shelf?
kawsar17

The shelf behind the back seats.

Pioneer stuff tends to be good. Get the speaker sizes & then go out shopping. You are never going to get anything perfect without & amp & equaliser but you will get something that will be a vast improvement over standard.

If you feel upto it, it can be worth replacing the speaker wire aswell.
kawsar17

http://cdn.overclock.net/5/54/54b3e46b_not-sure-if-serious.jpeg
These:

http://craziestgadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/mobile-dj-car-450x302.jpg

/thread
unquestioned

The shelf behind the back seats.Pioneer stuff tends to be good. Get the … The shelf behind the back seats.Pioneer stuff tends to be good. Get the speaker sizes & then go out shopping. You are never going to get anything perfect without & amp & equaliser but you will get something that will be a vast improvement over standard.If you feel upto it, it can be worth replacing the speaker wire aswell.

LOL - Speaker wire will make no difference whatsoever, you don't need an EQ to make a system sound good. At the end of the day, asking small speakers with no volume (area) behind them to product mental sound is never going to work, which is why my 15 watt drivers in my VW sound very good, they are matched to the volume of air they are pushing.

Changing the speakers in the doors will give you a quality enhancement, perhaps a smaller volume increase.

Putting 6x9 in the parcel shelf will also help but if you dont understand what a parcel shelf is, I would go to halfords and get them to fit something, it will be safer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions