Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Decent Laptop\price for new engineering student

Posted 7th Sep
Hi , my son is going to uni and has been given a minimum spec for the laptop they recommend. Anyone gone though the same process, looking for the best laptop\deal around? Minimum spec they suggest:
Windows 10
Intel i5 4 core (AMD r5)
RAM 16Gb
SD 512gB Hard drive
Resolution 1080 x 1920 (1080p)
For VR GPU: Nvidia 1070.

This one from Amazon fits most of the spec:
hotukdeals.com/dea…230

But seems expensive.
Anyone know if £1299 is around the price I would have to pay, or are there better deals out there. Not sure if there is somewhere to get a student discount?

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
That graphics card in the one you linked is not comparable to a Nvidia 1070 and can't run VR.
Thanks for pointing that out WeebMika.

I thought it was close enough, but maybe a showstopper. Not too sure on the differences on the graphics cards.

Does the price jump up for the graphics card in the spec then? I will have to keep looking.

To be honest it seems a very high spec for the uni to suggest, but want something that is going to work and last so will keep looking.
amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1

Never heard of that make though and it is used.
Edited by: "davemichael" 7th Sep
davemichael07/09/2020 17:01

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07CBV1MYJ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2OAJ7377F756P&psc=1Never heard of that make though and it is used.

Gigabyte are a huge company although you're more likely to see their name on motherboards and graphics cards.

They are asking for a high spec but if they are going to be doing vr stuff then its probably what is needed. Have you asked if the uni has a purchase scheme? They will be able to access educational pricing which is usually significantly cheaper than consumer pricing.
mas9907/09/2020 17:40

Gigabyte are a huge company although you're more likely to see their name …Gigabyte are a huge company although you're more likely to see their name on motherboards and graphics cards.They are asking for a high spec but if they are going to be doing vr stuff then its probably what is needed. Have you asked if the uni has a purchase scheme? They will be able to access educational pricing which is usually significantly cheaper than consumer pricing.

I haven't as didn't realise they did that. I will certainly check. Thanks
Don't forget unidays discounts. Before rushing out and buying one, might be better waiting until he has been there a week and seeing if he definitely needs one (he can ask the 2nd years). If he only needs VR occasionally then he might be ok just using the uni computer rooms for the high power stuff and a lesser powered laptop the rest of the time.....

Out of interest what uni is it? Son has a place to do engineering but probably deferring until next year.
Edited by: "gari189" 7th Sep
gari18907/09/2020 21:29

Don't forget unidays discounts. Before rushing out and buying one, might …Don't forget unidays discounts. Before rushing out and buying one, might be better waiting until he has been there a week and seeing if he definitely needs one (he can ask the 2nd years). If he only needs VR occasionally then he might be ok just using the uni computer rooms for the high power stuff and a lesser powered laptop the rest of the time.....Out of interest what uni is it? Son has a place to do engineering but probably deferring until next year.

Thanks. It's Swansea.
A dedicated GPU is definitely needed if they're going to be doing 3D work but VR, you wouldn't really be using VR on a Laptop?

16GB RAM is needed though for SolidWorks

If they just need a dedicated GPU and not something VR Ready, then check out a ThinkPad P43
laptopsdirect.co.uk/len…BwE

14" so portable, a Quadro P520 GPU (more suited to professional apps like CAD than a consumer GPU due to certified drivers), 8GB is soldered on, but has a free slot, add a 16GB for a total 24GB RAM(extra £65ish) and buy a bigger NVMe drive (£60-100 depending on 500GB or 1TB), get a NVMe USB enclosure to re-purpose the existing SSD to a super fast portable drive for backing up files.3 Year Warranty on ThinkPads too.
I've just bought a Lenovo ex-corporate P50 for around the £400 mark from Itzoo. It has 16 GB RAM and I'm hoping it'll perform well running some Ubuntu VMs and an SQL server. The graphics are supposed to be good but do they exceed that of the Thinkpad P43s?
harrythefish08/09/2020 18:31

I've just bought a Lenovo ex-corporate P50 for around the £400 mark from …I've just bought a Lenovo ex-corporate P50 for around the £400 mark from Itzoo. It has 16 GB RAM and I'm hoping it'll perform well running some Ubuntu VMs and an SQL server. The graphics are supposed to be good but do they exceed that of the Thinkpad P43s?

If it's the M1000 Quadro, then it's slightly better in benchmark performance. How much difference that makes in the real world I don't really know, unless it comes to games and then you might see 10-20fps increase.
The P520 is on a much smaller die though and therefore much more power efficient.
Post a comment
@
    Text