Found 12th Mar
Hi all.

I'm looking for a phone for my dad's birthday. The most important/unique feature it needs is dual SIM slots, since he spends a lot of time on the continent (originally he wanted a tri-SIM since he's also in the states from time to time, but has finally conceded these are pretty rare since there's not really a market for it). Therefore also tri/quad band but I think that's pretty standard these days.

I've searched some of the previous questions but most are from many years ago, and the decent deals have expired. Anyway, he mainly uses it for calls, texts, whatsapp, some photos - pretty minor usage really. His current phone is one of those clunky old Samsungs (Galaxy U maybe?) so anything is an upgrade really.

With a budget around the £100-200, I've been looking at the dual-SIM versions of the Samsung J5 and the Moto G4, both of which can be had on Amazon for ~£160. There's also the P8 Lite for £143. He's not very tech-savvy so ordering from Amazon is appealing due to relatively stress free returns should the device malfunction. I've seen some of the budget models like the Wileyfox and UMI which seem to be great when they work well, but have read a lot of nightmare stories about non-existent customer support/returns.

If anyone has any input or suggestions I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks a lot in advance!

19 Comments

lenovo p2 is brilliant dual active sim and two + day battery. camera is only let down

Try looking at The Timmy M20 £60 phone android 6.0 quad core. decent. does its job

Used a Moto G4 dual SIM until recently and was v happy with it.
Currently using Lenovo P2 which is great. Person above says camera is problem but if you change the camera app to OpenCamera it is fine. Love having battery which sees me through three days of decent use.

Original Poster

m1kedutt5

lenovo p2 is brilliant dual active sim and two + day battery. camera is … lenovo p2 is brilliant dual active sim and two + day battery. camera is only let down

sminky

Used a Moto G4 dual SIM until recently and was v happy with it.Currently … Used a Moto G4 dual SIM until recently and was v happy with it.Currently using Lenovo P2 which is great. Person above says camera is problem but if you change the camera app to OpenCamera it is fine. Love having battery which sees me through three days of decent use.

Thanks for the responses guys. Where did you buy it from? It's around £350 on Amazon which is way out of budget unfortunately, and the cheaper sites seem to be delivery from China which like I said I'm trying to avoid if possible!

m1kedutt5

lenovo p2 is brilliant dual active sim and two + day battery. camera is … lenovo p2 is brilliant dual active sim and two + day battery. camera is only let down

​I would second the Lenovo P2. Great battery, good display and decent camera.

Sony z3 dual sim, quality phone. Mine is 2 years old does everything i need it to. And can pick up new from ebay now for around 220- 250 less if you buy refurbished.

morphy69

Sony z3 dual sim, quality phone. Mine is 2 years old does everything i … Sony z3 dual sim, quality phone. Mine is 2 years old does everything i need it to. And can pick up new from ebay now for around 220- 250 less if you buy refurbished.

​And it won't get another update.

stoney73

​And it won't get another update.

The poster did say he is not very tech savy, so i am sure it would do more than what he will need it for, marshmallow firmware 6.01 is more than capable of handling most things as it stands.

Take a look at the Cubot Rainbow - a lot of phone for £60

sminky

Used a Moto G4 dual SIM until recently and was v happy with it.Currently … Used a Moto G4 dual SIM until recently and was v happy with it.Currently using Lenovo P2 which is great. Person above says camera is problem but if you change the camera app to OpenCamera it is fine. Love having battery which sees me through three days of decent use.

​ill give that a try thanks
never seems to focus fast enough with stock app.
last phone was an s6 edge plus and i would say this is as fast in everyway

Check out BQ Aquaris M5 - Spanish company offering a 5 year warranty (which should settle his piece of mind)

For under £130 i can highly recommend the Xiaomi Note 3 global version with band 20 from aliexpress.
Been mentioned here many times and a very popular phone on HUKD.

Brand new and sealed box, works flawlessly and like any other UK phone out of the box - not a flashed before sending, like most other chinese phones

5.5" Full HD screen, Snapdragon 650 processor, 16 MP Camera, Fingerprint ID, 3GB Ram, 32GB Rom, Massive 4000 battery (last 3 days on average usage) Latest Android version + all official updates.

It was recommend to me on here a few months back and best phone ever purchased by a mile. Already purchased another one for a family member and now Xiaomi is the only brand id ever buy (from china) I think they are also the worlds 4th largest smartphone maker
Edited by: "Sandy1012" 13th Mar

Sandy1012

For under £130 i can highly recommend the Xiaomi Note 3 global version … For under £130 i can highly recommend the Xiaomi Note 3 global version with band 20 from aliexpress. Been mentioned here many times and a very popular phone on HUKD.Brand new and sealed box, works flawlessly and like any other UK phone out of the box - not a flashed before sending, like most other chinese phones 5.5" Full HD screen, Snapdragon 650 processor, 16 MP Camera, Fingerprint ID, 3GB Ram, 32GB Rom, Massive 4000 battery (last 3 days on average usage) Latest Android version + all official updates.It was recommend to me on here a few months back and best phone ever purchased by a mile. Already purchased another one for a family member and now Xiaomi is the only brand id ever buy (from china) I think they are also the worlds 4th largest smartphone maker

​where do u need go for returns if there's a problem with it.

MynameisM

​where do u need go for returns if there's a problem with it.

Ship it back to china at your own expense. Basically not worth it. I had a similar situation with my meizu mx4 pro.

bloc

Ship it back to china at your own expense. Basically not worth it. I had … Ship it back to china at your own expense. Basically not worth it. I had a similar situation with my meizu mx4 pro.

​ok not good then I have noticed a lot more issues with phones recently even flagship phones are being repaired within 12 months although it's done under warranty it suggests they are not making them like they use too or the demand on them is too much for them to keep working well.

I was also sceptical about ordering from china and I would be more if was spending more £££
I thoroughly researched the phone and seller, checked the feedback for the item, all verified purchases and 100's of reviews, youtube videos + numerous post from 100's of HUKD's have ordered without a problem which is what gave me the confidence. I even got the Mi Max, its bigger brother

In the extremely unlikely scenario you need/want to send it back it will cost £15-£18 max with tracking - its not the end of the world and is hugely unlikely if buying an Xiaomi. For £130 for such a great phone the tiny risk more than paid off

Hello llocou,

If your budget is £200 I suggest you go for either the Xiaomi mi5 (one of the best phones of 2016, I've used it myself and it is excellent I've had no issues and mine came with global firmware), which is crammed with goodies, if of course you're not bothered with warranty or importing.

Honorary mentions are the Xiaomi mi5c (newly released, and looks stunning in my humble opinion), Honor 6X, Honor 8 lite or Xiaomi redmi note 4. These are all imports of course. But if you're lucky , you may find some 3rd party sellers who might offer you a 12 month warranty, but beware they might charge you more than what the phone actually costs.

If the above does not bother you you can also go for the Lenovo UK Z2 (£140-£150) which has the same processor (SD 820) as the Galaxy S7. Again we're talking about importing here.

However if you want warranties go for either the Moto G4 plus (in around £180 to £200 and I personally used it) which is hands down one of the best mid-ranged phone of 2016 and received excellent reviews.

Or if you favor a British company go for the wileyfox line. Although I will recommend the swift 2X model which is currently retailing for £219, and has a Full HD screen. The others models don't. Of course the others above mentioned the Lenovo P2 which has my support as well.

There you go all of those phones fit within your given budget give or take maybe £20.

Hope it helps you llocou.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Best/cheapest music service56
    2. Netflix Family - Anyone got any places going?311
    3. Best place to get Euro's... this Wednesday?812
    4. I have a pretty old sky router and the power lead needs replacing, is it li…33

See more discussions