Decent NAS with Torrent Functionality?

Found 5th Jul 2011
As the title say's really, anyone recommend any decent NAS servers with good inbuilt (or can be added) torrent functionality?

Do alot of downloading, It would be more economic and efficient just having a dedicated NAS with 2TB say doing the downloading than having a desktop/laptop on 24/7.

I can more often than not then use the files around the house as a media server.

So If you know any decent ones for Media sharing/Torrent clients please do advise, not looking to break the bank ~100 Pounds or less preferably!

Thanks.

1. Misc
  2. NAS
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. NAS
12 Comments

Original Poster

Good questions, many I admit I haven't really pondered over in too much detail.

Not expecting to transcode Media Files, all files will probably be in Avi format or an MKV container. Devices such as WDTV Live, Roku or Boxee, and perhaps Popcorn Hour will be rendering the media on the TV's in question. May also probably use an iPad for some streaming.

Expecting to stream files to around 2 devices at a time, on average, 3 at most I imagine. This will most likely be wireless but I'm contemplating wired should latency be an issue (Will Homeplug Ethernet Adapters do the Job?).

Again I haven't given too much thought per se, trying to figure out the best solution to stream content to multiple devices (Mainly TV's) around the house without faffing around with moving and plugging in external HDD's, I want a centralized location for my content which can be accessed around the house.

Original Poster

Urmm probably not, bundled storage would be nice but I can always pick up my own given the low prices they go for these days.

Willing to consider both options however, though would like the best 'bang for buck' so to speak (I'm a student).

Thanks, will look into the Popcorn Hour, has had some very good reviews.

Subscribed, some interesting stuff here and some stuff being thrown around that I've never heard of... will have to do some Googling after work.

you need some decent specs in the NAS (RAM and CPU) or you download speeds will suffer

I currently download torrents using a Bittorrent client on my laptop but I want to download these straight onto my NAS in future so that I can turn my laptop off and the download can still continue.

I have a WD TV Live Hub (1B) - I'm not sure if I can do that using this? Does anyone know?

DragonChris

Subscribed, some interesting stuff here and some stuff being thrown … Subscribed, some interesting stuff here and some stuff being thrown around that I've never heard of... will have to do some Googling after work.

+1 Some good info indeed, I have no clue as to what is going on here but I want one, I dont know what it is, but I want one X)

Forgive me for my ignorance, I have 2x play station 3’s, a WD live thingy, a PC, Ipad, and one of those 20 quid media players, can I put one of these in a corner and download and then stream or play movies on all devices in the house via it?? What other cool things can I do, I have a Dell zino and my PS3 2 floors above it can play movies from it but it is dog slow

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Can get a 2TB NAS for about £100-120. Wireless is useless so discount … Can get a 2TB NAS for about £100-120. Wireless is useless so discount that, and wireless NAS's don't really exist, they connect wired to your router and it's wireless via that, but don't really expect to stream HD files unless it's Wireless N. If you can increase your budget to say to £180 you can get a HP Proliant Microserver with 2TB .Yes it costs more, but you know you won't need to replace it ever. I bought a budget NAS, but the speed was too slow and annoyed me so I ditched it for a HP microserver, so so much better, all the cheap NAS's are slow and the higher end ones are really expensive and still not as good as the cheap microserver.I'm also a student. My thinking is it's better to pay a bit more now and not have to pay all over again in the future for a better one.

Thanks dcx, yeah I was aware of Wireless NAS's being virtually non-existent, was proposing connecting this to a decent Netgear router, running Wireless N (All my Devices are) so there shouldn't be a problem streaming HD then?

You've got me thinking though, may actually purchase one, as HP have extended 100 Pound Cashback effectively making the HP Server around 130ish,

My main concern is the power consumption as opposed to NAS, want it being power efficient, It will be on 24/7 so I'll need to bear that in mind.

Wise saying, I also live by that, better to spend a little extra and get good quality hardware, though lately It's bitten me in the ****, and as a result I'm a little cash strapped ^_^

dga

If pennies are important, add 1GB of RAM to this and you have a very fast … If pennies are important, add 1GB of RAM to this and you have a very fast dual SATA NAS ready for FreeNAS or add 4GB for Windows Home Server (*spit!!*) Not bad for £100'ishI too have an HP Microserver with 4x 2TB Hitachi 5K3000, 32GB SSD (OS), a Sony 5300S and 5GB DDR3. It's built for exactly the same reasons as you need but I started off with a GuruPlug/Sheevaplug and 1x external SATA. it worked great with Transmission, SABnzbd, SickBeard, upnp media server, SMB/CIFS, CUPS, SSH, Squid, Rsync...etc. All from a 4GB SD card. It never fell over once!The HP is a great deal but you need to claim the £100 cash back, if that's an option for you then take it!As for the Popcorn, if you just want a media player without the latest YouTube support then have a look at the A110 refurbished. They used to be $99 direct from NMT and I cannot fault their performance. Edit: The HP is good enough to be a HTPC and a server if you add a half height PCI-E GFX card with HDMI. A quick google on HardOCP or AVForums will yeald good results. I guess it all comes down to circumstances and kidneys.

Thanks dga for the advice and recommendations, it's much appreciated, some great information being thrown here, It's evident I need to do abit of research into some of the plugins and distros, tools etc.

I may just end up going for the HP Microserver, the 100 Pound Cashback is really swaying me, and as you say, It's vastly customisable and would make a pretty decent HTPC.

Will most likely be going for the Microserver with a similar setup to yours, though I'll stick with the base for now, anymore will be overkill for what I need it for, now for some HDD's, do you recommend the Hitachi ones you currently have installed? Or are there any other one's to look out for?
Edited by: "Shadow-360" 6th Jul 2011

dga

@BlinneOrlaith. I think the HP N36L is pretty idiot proof when you add … @BlinneOrlaith. I think the HP N36L is pretty idiot proof when you add 4GB DDR3 and Windows Home Server as a multiple client NAS for media when theres no transcoding involved but if you add a few PS3's into the mix then you will need a lot more number crunching ability. What's the spec of the Dell Zino you have?

Zino HD, AMDx2 6850E (I think), 1TB, 6MB Ram.

I really dont use it, sits under my TV, maybe I should use that as a NAS? Paid 600 odd quid for it at the time lol For PS3 movie streaming it was deadly slow, wonder is that the PS3 fault? Must look into this further X)

Original Poster

dga

Woah, I'm not getting into the HDD debate!! To trolltastic even for HUKD. … Woah, I'm not getting into the HDD debate!! To trolltastic even for HUKD. Go with any of the top brands with a model that suits your pocket. With the HP, you can start with zero extra HDDs because it starts with a 250GB SATA for the OS. If you want my redundant 250GB and you are Liverpool you are welcome to it (UoL/JMU student discount) for use in the new shiny HP. The HP will expand as your needs and wallet does, it'll serve you fine.

Yeah it's a touchy subject alright X).

Thankyou for the offer mate, that's very kind, I'm at Manchester but as It's holidays I'm not there either.

Though If It's just laying around and you're happy doing so I wouldn't mind fronting the Postage cost and a little extra? ^_^

dcx_badass

I run two Samsung F4's in mine and it runs great. Power wise from what … I run two Samsung F4's in mine and it runs great. Power wise from what I've read it's about 17w idle and about 40w with 4 drives spun up. At the moment mines in my room connected direct to my PC via ethernet (gigabit) and I turn it off at night. But will eventually leave it on but that won't be for a while yet. I run WHS 2011 on mine as the OS and added another 2GB ram (£18) to it, but if you ran something like Freenas, that wouldn't need doing.

Cheers dcx, informative, from what I've read It's best to keep the server on 24/7 as well (and besides I'm a heavy 'downloader') so hopefully shouldn't be too bad in the long run.

With the amount I've spent this past month or two I hope my gold mining shares do well, urgh

Original Poster

dga

Join the HP club and PM me ;)If you are a heavy downloader I'd advise you … Join the HP club and PM me ;)If you are a heavy downloader I'd advise you to get off Torrents and move to newsgroups, you wont waste as much time and energy that way.

Cheers mate you're a Legend

Well I'm on Torrentleech and other private trackers mainly which serves 'most' of my needs, I'm getting top speeds from what I can out of my line so have no real need for Newsgroups atm, though I have contemplated the move, as long as I'm upto date with my collection I'll be sticking to zero day scene for the time being
Edited by: "Shadow-360" 6th Jul 2011

Original Poster

dga

No need to share +256bit SSL, £7 per month. It doesn't need selling!

PM me the Newsgroup mate I'll look into it

Banned

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/newshosting-6-17-per-month-61-75-for-a-year-newshosting-com-partners/958828
Edited by: "dga" 6th Jul 2011
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants