Decent pot to cook whole chicken

Found 31st Oct 2017
I need a large pot to boil whole chickens. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't want to pay over the odds for some specialty brand intended for a master chef but I also want something decent that will last. Amazon has various "stock pots" around £20, are these any good? Are there any brands or high street retailers you would recommend?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
11 Comments

Argos. Always decent generic brands.

TK Maxx in store are worth a look for stuff like this, they occasionally have good deals on high quality cookery stuff.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 31st Oct 2017

Original Poster

Which type or brand is best? There are too many. I had a look on Argos for example... aluminium, stainless steel, granite, cast iron, etc.

If you have an Indian or Asian store in your area they sometimes sell large aluminum pots quite cheaply. I have a very large one which was bought locally for under £10. Ok its not quality but does the job

A copper based pot will transfer heat more quickly and evenly than a aluminium based pot.

Granite is not something you make into a pot... It's a ceramic effect.

Bigfootpete3 h, 26 m ago

Granite is not something you make into a pot... It's a ceramic effect.

Is that what they're calling vitreous enamel these days?

@faxmax I guess the biggest factor in durability would be how securely the handles are attached, especially on a big pot that can put a lot of torque on them.

There's not a great deal that can go wrong with a pan body. Possibly warping from heat if the material is too thin, but boiling water is on the lower end of the temperature range pans are expected to handle so I can't see that being an issue in your case. You may even prefer a lighter pan as you're potentially filling it with several kilograms of chicken and several kilograms of water.

Non-stick coatings will eventually come off. Some are fairly fragile like teflon, others are more durable like enamel but they all go in the end. Probably not much of a concern for boiling chickens though.

Different materials really come down to personal preference. As pete says they do cook slightly differently, and some are heavier than others. Induction hobs can be picky, but they're expensive and rare so you'd likely know if you had one.

I'd personally go round the cookshops and department stores that had them on display and buy whichever seemed nicest after a good fondling. For something you're likely to own for a couple of decades I wouldn't buy it in a box or off the internet unless you couldn't find anything decent locally.

Could wrap tin foil around a large bowl several times and crimp the edge. Same thing

Original Poster

What size should I be looking for? Is 24cm enough to fit a whole chicken? Do I need the extra tall ones like argos.co.uk/pro…321 to put it in vertically?

faxmax6 h, 14 m ago

What size should I be looking for? Is 24cm enough to fit a whole chicken? …What size should I be looking for? Is 24cm enough to fit a whole chicken? Do I need the extra tall ones like http://www.argos.co.uk/product/7115321 to put it in vertically?

Depends on the size of the chicken but 24cm seems too small to me

I would go for a vitreous enamel one as easy cleaning and very hard wearing
Edited by: "chocci" 2nd Nov 2017

Original Poster

chocci16 h, 19 m ago

Depends on the size of the chicken but 24cm seems too small to meI would …Depends on the size of the chicken but 24cm seems too small to meI would go for a vitreous enamel one as easy cleaning and very hard wearing

Almost all are 24cm. Am I searching for the wrong thing? I am using search term "stock pot"
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions