Decent rechargeable batteries for a DAB radio?

Found 23rd Dec 2017
I need 4 AA batteries for a portable radio but would like the ones that don't self discharge when not used, any recommendations?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
14 Comments

Eneloop rechargeables get my vote

mattmerch17 m ago

Eneloop rechargeables get my vote

+1

Eneloops are not cheap though hold their power well. The problem with DAB radios is they tend to eat the battery power quite significantly, they run low quite quickly apparently.

I'm not sure what the technology is like these days though it has been recommended to get a delta-v charger as well, especially if getting decent batteries. Delta-v charges help to keep the batteries healthy apparently.

I'm not that up-to-date on this subject, so might be best to open a new enquiry if you think you need to know more on the tech side of batteries and chargers.

I'm not sure if they're the cheapest though have a look on 7dayshop for prices of batteries.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 23rd Dec 2017

I use Lidl's batteries, I use them for my boilers thermostat. They're not bad but I wouldn't use them in a DAB radio though as they're not going to last very long. As I've mentioned DAB radios tend to eat up the batteries energy quite quickly. Lidl's batteries won't really be suitable to be honest.

Incidentally, anything above 2500mah should be suitable enough for your radio. You may want to double check this though to see what other people's opinions are on this.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 23rd Dec 2017

LemonHead22 m ago

it has been recommended to get a delta-v charger as well, especially if …it has been recommended to get a delta-v charger as well, especially if getting decent batteries. Delta-v charges help to keep the batteries healthy apparently.

Any charger that causes a change in velocity of the batteries probably isn't very good.

Yeah, you do want some sort of smart charger that attempts to detect when the batteries are nearly full. Either through change in voltage or some other method. They're no more expensive than the old fixed time chargers there's no reason not to.

EndlessWaves12 m ago

Any charger that causes a change in velocity of the batteries probably …Any charger that causes a change in velocity of the batteries probably isn't very good.Yeah, you do want some sort of smart charger that attempts to detect when the batteries are nearly full. Either through change in voltage or some other method. They're no more expensive than the old fixed time chargers there's no reason not to.

I was right about the rest of the stuff I mentioned?

Lots of intelligent chargers to choose from on 7dayshop as well. Make sure you get the right charger as well, i.e. for NiMh batteries and/or Li-ion batteries.

LemonHead1 h, 13 m ago

I was right about the rest of the stuff I mentioned?Lots of intelligent …I was right about the rest of the stuff I mentioned?Lots of intelligent chargers to choose from on 7dayshop as well. Make sure you get the right charger as well, i.e. for NiMh batteries and/or Li-ion batteries.

It's more about the exact model than the brand on them. lidl do at least two or three different ranges, some of which are low self-discharge and some of which aren't.

Whether a high capacity is of benefit depends on how much power the radio uses. Generally the very highest capacity rechargables will have less longevity than the slightly lower ones.

LemonHead4 h, 58 m ago

I use Lidl's batteries, I use them for my boilers thermostat. They're not …I use Lidl's batteries, I use them for my boilers thermostat. They're not bad but I wouldn't use them in a DAB radio though as they're not going to last very long. As I've mentioned DAB radios tend to eat up the batteries energy quite quickly. Lidl's batteries won't really be suitable to be honest.Incidentally, anything above 2500mah should be suitable enough for your radio. You may want to double check this though to see what other people's opinions are on this.

I use Lidl rechargeable batteries in my DAB radio and they are great so in answer to your statement they are more than suitable for this

SOUTHWALES5 h, 8 m ago

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/aa-2400mah-or-aaa-950mah-pre-charged-rechargeable-batteries-packs-of-8-599-lidl-instore-2853265[Image]

+1 for these

Amazon Basics batteries AKA Eneloop batteries.

Original Poster

Is use an Energizer CHP42 charger which is marketed as a smart charger?

Pairs chargers cannot be as "smart" as singles, as they only monitor the pair

I use the Nitecore i4 charger
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions