Decent shed

Posted 13th Jul
After a decent shed of a medium to large size. Say 8ft wide and 12ft to 18ft deep.

Looked at numerous sites and the prices and reviews vary wildly.

Anyone able to recommend one they've purchased be it metal, plastic or wooden please.

The plastic and metal I've looked at look fiddly to build and don't come with floors. Wooden shiplap would be preferable but then the likes of Dunster House charge almost £2400 for a wooden one when Shedstore sell a same sized plastic one for half that.

Any websites you'd recommend for quality of product at a decent price appreciated, thanks
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Build it yourself, you get the size you want at a vastly reduced price, plus it isn’t rocket science.
I have and would recommend keter shed from Costco, they are worth the extra price and often on offer. Latest one on offer now is here
Edited by: "Sandy1012" 13th Jul
BadMF13/07/2020 15:33

Build it yourself, you get the size you want at a vastly reduced price, …Build it yourself, you get the size you want at a vastly reduced price, plus it isn’t rocket science.

Done it yourself? Any suppliers you'd recommend above others for quality timber as only used Travis Perkins of any of the big names
I used a local timber merchants (Trade Timber Supplies), much cheaper than Travis Perkins, and delivery was free. Mines 8ft by 14ft took me a few days from start to finish to build, longest part was waiting for the cement floor to cure.
If you want a wooden shed have a look at Tiger Sheds. Very happy with mine though it needed painting as their wood preserver had a vivid orange tint.
harrythefish13/07/2020 18:26

If you want a wooden shed have a look at Tiger Sheds. Very happy with mine …If you want a wooden shed have a look at Tiger Sheds. Very happy with mine though it needed painting as their wood preserver had a vivid orange tint.

I was about to come on here and warn not to use tigersheds, their delivery is about 6 months at the moment, i know because i placed an order in may and they are predicting November, look on twitter and trustpilot to see how bad they are.

Look local or if you can build yourself.
I've got a Keter plastic shed, can't fault it, easy to build, not sure why you say it doesn't come with a floor as it does come with a floor.
richp13/07/2020 18:58

I've got a Keter plastic shed, can't fault it, easy to build, not sure why …I've got a Keter plastic shed, can't fault it, easy to build, not sure why you say it doesn't come with a floor as it does come with a floor.

The plastic and aluminium ones I've seen have no floor but I've not looked at or considered Keter. Assume they're better quality than some of their storage boxes
BadMF13/07/2020 17:06

I used a local timber merchants (Trade Timber Supplies), much cheaper than …I used a local timber merchants (Trade Timber Supplies), much cheaper than Travis Perkins, and delivery was free. Mines 8ft by 14ft took me a few days from start to finish to build, longest part was waiting for the cement floor to cure.

Roughly how much did the floor cost to lay? Done some kerbing and small footings before but only laying concrete bag by bag and mixing in a wheelbarrow. Sure I can get a floor dug and laid in a couple of weekends but guessing a mixer is a must
Depending on how big you want the shed, it may be worthwhile ordering some ready mixed cement, but you’d need somewhere for them to pour it if cement truck won’t have easy access, which means lugging it about in a barrow.

If you’re going for a bagged cement, you’ll want a tonne bag of sharp sand (or more) definitely get a mixer, you can rent them for about £30 a day.

The floor for mine was just shy of £600, but I used self levelling/self compacting cement. You want at least 4, ideally 6 inches deep.
'Decent' is a big vague so I'd nail down some requirements first. Are you just looking for a basic weatherproof box that'll last a couple of decades or do you want something that can take a bit of force or weight, such from a large vice or exercise equipment?
BadMF13/07/2020 20:19

Depending on how big you want the shed, it may be worthwhile ordering some …Depending on how big you want the shed, it may be worthwhile ordering some ready mixed cement, but you’d need somewhere for them to pour it if cement truck won’t have easy access, which means lugging it about in a barrow.If you’re going for a bagged cement, you’ll want a tonne bag of sharp sand (or more) definitely get a mixer, you can rent them for about £30 a day. The floor for mine was just shy of £600, but I used self levelling/self compacting cement. You want at least 4, ideally 6 inches deep.

Thanks for the info
EndlessWaves13/07/2020 21:14

'Decent' is a big vague so I'd nail down some requirements first. Are you …'Decent' is a big vague so I'd nail down some requirements first. Are you just looking for a basic weatherproof box that'll last a couple of decades or do you want something that can take a bit of force or weight, such from a large vice or exercise equipment?

Storage more than anything really. Might become a gym or workshop when the kids move out
bluetba13/07/2020 18:42

I was about to come on here and warn not to use tigersheds, their delivery …I was about to come on here and warn not to use tigersheds, their delivery is about 6 months at the moment, i know because i placed an order in may and they are predicting November, look on twitter and trustpilot to see how bad they are.Look local or if you can build yourself.

When I bought one it was about a week. Sheds are another lockdown victim like Dulux paint (they've stopped taking orders/are rationing atm) and all fencing related products. Our economic recovery would be improved if we could only keep up with our own demand!
I've been looking at sheds for a while and went with a keter from costco , 8ft x 11 and its great. But wooden sheds also great and one website I saw that had good reviews was tiger sheds. They did me a quote for a custom sized shed extra tall which was quite reasonable. Take a look. Google 'tiger sheds' .
Post a comment
@
    Text