Deceptive Packaging

Found 31st Aug 2017
I was strolling around a big name supermarket - looking for milkshake. When I found it, the shelf had tiny cartons of the big brand marked at £1, and HUGE (at least triple the size) cartons of the supermarkets own brand - marked at £1.45.

"Whoooo, great value", so I grab hold of a couple.....

Hang on!! these feel very light.

Turn the carton around and check the content weight ..... 300g.

Check the tiny, big brand carton ........................................300g.

CHEEKY BLIGHTERS!!!

So, buyer beware.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Jeez OP can you make this thread any more confusing.
You are quite happy to name & "shame" Boots, Lidl and Aldi but won't name this supermarket or product except with a vague reference which might be Morrison's or Marks & Spencer but none of us are the wiser.
Yeah, but all that extra air in the packaging means your milkshake doesn't get broken in transit It's for your benefit.
32 Comments
Could you be more specific?
Yup - good comment - lots of folk would be fooled - To be fair works in reverse too.
So what's with hiding whatever you bought?
Yeah, but all that extra air in the packaging means your milkshake doesn't get broken in transit It's for your benefit.
All that lying to the misses has warped your sense of scale.
PTibbets15 m ago

If an unfamiliar choice is to be made I always buy by price per kilo/litre …If an unfamiliar choice is to be made I always buy by price per kilo/litre etcIts fool proof.

...then a better fool comes along.
catbeans6 m ago

All that lying to the misses has warped your sense of scale.

You should never lie to the misses (missus) it can only end in tears -unless you can afford an expensive lawyer
rev646 m ago

Could you be more specific?

The supermarket starts with an "M".

I have spotted a few "Own Brands" that are priced significantly ABOVE other variants - Boots own-brand anti-histamines are more than 3 times the price of the cheapest branded version of the same product - same number of tablets, same formula, and same weight.

It seems that, after years of selling decent own brands at low prices - they are hoping we wont notice that many are suddenly very poor value. Even Lidl and Aldi are doing it; some of this years refreshed own-brand food ranges are TERRIBLE quality/value compared to the versions being sold last year.
Jeez OP can you make this thread any more confusing.
You are quite happy to name & "shame" Boots, Lidl and Aldi but won't name this supermarket or product except with a vague reference which might be Morrison's or Marks & Spencer but none of us are the wiser.
Well done son, with school back next week you can tell your teacher and expect a gold star.
Edited by: "Agharta" 31st Aug 2017
It's called over engineered packaging to fool the consumer the larger pack is better value than the other brand?

If it was just a price point I could understand variations in manufacturing cost taking in consideration of design, repro, plates, print (number of colours), carton grade or actual ingredients to produce said item etc...

cant you tell I'm a packaging guru lo
They never do this with condom packaging.
Buyer beware of what exactly?

"M-named" shops.
Someone shouting "woohoo" in an "M-named shop"
Oversized products feeding on human psyche?

Maybe I should start complaining that a 700ml bottle of wine isn't a similar sized shape as a 500ml bottle of coke.

Instructions unclear.
I shouted woohoo in an M-named shop and shook my milk.
Edited by: "Gynx" 1st Sep 2017
reddit6 h, 51 m ago

They never do this with condom packaging.

In Mexico they supposedly did something along those lines. Government approved condoms come/came in two sizes; "Macho" and "Extra Macho" ; apparently, only the latter ever really sold.

I named Boots, because although their own brand is significantly more expensive, they arent using deceptive packaging to make it look much better value than the branded versions.

Naming "M" could get me sued for defamation.
Gentle_Giant1 h, 1 m ago

...Naming "M" could get me sued for defamation.

Not if you are reporting facts that can easily be checked by any member of the public visiting one of the stores.
Is the BBC where we're not allowed to mention brand names??
Gentle_Giant1 h, 53 m ago

In Mexico they supposedly did something along those lines. Government …In Mexico they supposedly did something along those lines. Government approved condoms come/came in two sizes; "Macho" and "Extra Macho" ; apparently, only the latter ever really sold.I named Boots, because although their own brand is significantly more expensive, they arent using deceptive packaging to make it look much better value than the branded versions.Naming "M" could get me sued for defamation.

Only if you be lying, or the brand product was actually on a offer so you wasn't comparing like with like
Gentle_Giant8 h, 16 m ago

In Mexico they supposedly did something along those lines. Government …In Mexico they supposedly did something along those lines. Government approved condoms come/came in two sizes; "Macho" and "Extra Macho" ; apparently, only the latter ever really sold.I named Boots, because although their own brand is significantly more expensive, they arent using deceptive packaging to make it look much better value than the branded versions.Naming "M" could get me sued for defamation.

Naming M could get you killed by 007 too.
reddit1 h, 45 m ago

Naming M could get you killed by 007 too.

This comment wins the Internet for today...
*Clapping*
Gentle_Giant23 h, 6 m ago

The supermarket starts with an "M".I have spotted a few "Own Brands" that …The supermarket starts with an "M".I have spotted a few "Own Brands" that are priced significantly ABOVE other variants - Boots own-brand anti-histamines are more than 3 times the price of the cheapest branded version of the same product - same number of tablets, same formula, and same weight.It seems that, after years of selling decent own brands at low prices - they are hoping we wont notice that many are suddenly very poor value. Even Lidl and Aldi are doing it; some of this years refreshed own-brand food ranges are TERRIBLE quality/value compared to the versions being sold last year.

Mainstop ?
The price per quantity is at the bottom of the label, not really rocket science.
But with milkshake anyway its not how much stuff is in the packet, its how much milkshake will it make? I just bought milkshake in tesco and they charge 45p for angel delite and 30p for their own-brand?
this just like Faery Liquid they are trying to educate ppl that bigger watery bottles are less value than smaller denser FL bottles. This can go a long way to save on transportation costs. Its why BEER is brewed in the country rather than imported, except for Guinness which used to be brewed here but now is brewed in Ireland, except for the Nigerian Guinness.
Pies with Thick rims ! inward curving base! o ohh that makes my blood boil
GwanGy3 h, 44 m ago

But with milkshake anyway its not how much stuff is in the packet, its how …But with milkshake anyway its not how much stuff is in the packet, its how much milkshake will it make? I just bought milkshake in tesco and they charge 45p for angel delite and 30p for their own-brand?this just like Faery Liquid they are trying to educate ppl that bigger watery bottles are less value than smaller denser FL bottles. This can go a long way to save on transportation costs. Its why BEER is brewed in the country rather than imported, except for Guinness which used to be brewed here but now is brewed in Ireland, except for the Nigerian Guinness.Pies with Thick rims ! inward curving base! o ohh that makes my blood boil

Milkshake powder is milkshake powder; you cannot really make it more concentrated without using some REALLY expensive artificial sweeteners, that are really, REALLY sweet.

If only Lidl/Aldi did other flavours, everyone I know loves their Chocolate milkshake, but they dont even do strawberry flavour any longer.

As for the 007 comment; there have been a number of helicopters buzzing the area at very low altitudes since I posted the thread; its lucky I use obscuring software and fake names, they havet managed to pin down my exact location (yet).
Based on the info, I'm guessing you are saying that this:
922345277-1504357900.jpg
is "HUGE (at least triple the size)" of this:

731611350-1504357986.jpg
Asda use the same packaging style< and Tesco used it in the past<. They must also be "cheeky blighters" for not using the same style of packaging as Nesquik and are apparently being deceptive. Maybe if one of them had changed their quantity whilst keeping the same size of previous packaging like this< then it would be deceptive. But not really the case when comparing a container with smaller base area that's taller, to one with a larger base area that's shorter.
The interior volume of the Nesquik is less than it appears; the container is completely rounded at both ends, and the base is also curved inwards. Add the ribs that make it look wider, and the internal volume is surprisingly low..
The own brand package on the other hand, is almost a perfect rectangle; minimal curves, no ribbing and a completely flat base.

If the daughter finishes the own brand this week, I will tip out the Nesquik tub and fill each with water, then measure the exact volume.
Gentle_Giant9 h, 45 m ago

The interior volume of the Nesquik is less than it appears; the container …The interior volume of the Nesquik is less than it appears; the container is completely rounded at both ends, and the base is also curved inwards. Add the ribs that make it look wider, and the internal volume is surprisingly low..The own brand package on the other hand, is almost a perfect rectangle; minimal curves, no ribbing and a completely flat base.If the daughter finishes the own brand this week, I will tip out the Nesquik tub and fill each with water, then measure the exact volume.

Yeah, but did all that lovely milkshake powder reach you intact, in perfect condition?

I assume it's powder anyway. Looks absolutely vile.
Gentle_Giant10 h, 50 m ago

The interior volume of the Nesquik is less than it appears; the container …The interior volume of the Nesquik is less than it appears; the container is completely rounded at both ends, and the base is also curved inwards. Add the ribs that make it look wider, and the internal volume is surprisingly low..The own brand package on the other hand, is almost a perfect rectangle; minimal curves, no ribbing and a completely flat base.If the daughter finishes the own brand this week, I will tip out the Nesquik tub and fill each with water, then measure the exact volume.

MSK.1 h, 4 m ago

Yeah, but did all that lovely milkshake powder reach you intact, in …Yeah, but did all that lovely milkshake powder reach you intact, in perfect condition?I assume it's powder anyway. Looks absolutely vile.

Yes, good point there; unless you weighed the products just as you opened the respective packaging, you still will not know which is better value for money.

Then again, as we are still guessing (after four days) which supermarket product is, or products are, being compared it will be useless to anybody except you, @Gentle_Giant, & your family.

Hope you all have fun in any respect.
fanpages41 m ago

Yes, good point there; unless you weighed the products just as you opened …Yes, good point there; unless you weighed the products just as you opened the respective packaging, you still will not know which is better value for money.Then again, as we are still guessing (after four days) which supermarket product is, or products are, being compared it will be useless to anybody except you, @Gentle_Giant, & your family.Hope you all have fun in any respect.

AH, but I was talking about deceptive packaging in general, and using one recent example; you seem so fixated on that one example, I have to wonder.........

Perhaps I should have picked the multi-packs of popular chocolate bars, where the multi-pack bars are smaller than the individual ones and so not the great value the packaging and marketing suggests.
The nesquick ones are reusable, i keep my crayons in in one of their tubs
Gentle_Giant1 h, 33 m ago

AH, but I was talking about deceptive packaging in general, and using one …AH, but I was talking about deceptive packaging in general, and using one recent example; you seem so fixated on that one example, I have to wonder.........Perhaps I should have picked the multi-packs of popular chocolate bars, where the multi-pack bars are smaller than the individual ones and so not the great value the packaging and marketing suggests.

You have to wonder what?

I don't use Nesquik, nor do I eat chocolate bars, if that helps.

Still no further on the Supermarket you fear to mention either, it seems.
Gentle_Giant8 h, 42 m ago

Perhaps I should have picked the multi-packs of popular chocolate bars, …Perhaps I should have picked the multi-packs of popular chocolate bars, where the multi-pack bars are smaller than the individual ones and so not the great value the packaging and marketing suggests.

Multi-packs are greater value per quantity regardless of individual bar size differences. Galaxy is a rare case where multi-pack bars are actually the same size and it has that written on the front<. Now look at other multipacks such as Mars and Snickers which will have bar weight marked on the front, instead. So even though multi-packs are greater value and the packaging is not misleading about sizes, you still think it's an example of deceptive packaging. I guess they're also "cheeky blighters" but at least the bars in the multi-packs aren't "HUGE (at least triple the size)" of the individual bars, so mustn't be as deceptive as that milkshake powder
Or just look at the price labels where pence per weight is displayed. Surely people dont base their purchases on the size of the box etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants