Decking cost

Found 21st Jul
Hi, all ive been trying to get a quote for a while now to do some decking in the garden. Had quite a few round but struggled to get any quotes back. The job is a bit of a faf on because the garden is really unlevel at one end and there is some heavy council style pavers at the other end. Finally got first quote back at just over £1600. Thats for 8m x 3.5m in redwoood decking, including subframe assembly etc.

Can anyone advise on whether this is a good price for this size area.
Also has anyone had any hardwood decking done and can recommend a supplier??
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
The correct way to estimate for a job is to look at how much you can get for it. I am pretty confident I would come and do it for you for £1,600

Your sizing says 70 sq meters

Decking boards (125+10mm x 3m) at £6.66 (Travis Perkins) = £460 + 10% waste max = £506
+subframe - say £150
+screws - say £50
+labour (call it 2 days at £200pd)
+profit
+misc
Decking can be treacherous in wet weather.
ccnp56 m ago

The correct way to estimate for a job is to look at how much you can get …The correct way to estimate for a job is to look at how much you can get for it. I am pretty confident I would come and do it for you for £1,600Your sizing says 70 sq meters Decking boards (125+10mm x 3m) at £6.66 (Travis Perkins) = £460 + 10% waste max = £506+subframe - say £150+screws - say £50+labour (call it 2 days at £200pd)+profit+misc

Haha so your saying im getting ripped off then
terriclarkfan4 m ago

Decking can be treacherous in wet weather.

Good point, but i wasnt asking about peoples opinions on decking when its wet, thanks though
ccnp1 h, 0 m ago

The correct way to estimate for a job is to look at how much you can get …The correct way to estimate for a job is to look at how much you can get for it. I am pretty confident I would come and do it for you for £1,600Your sizing says 70 sq meters Decking boards (125+10mm x 3m) at £6.66 (Travis Perkins) = £460 + 10% waste max = £506+subframe - say £150+screws - say £50+labour (call it 2 days at £200pd)+profit+misc

8 x 3.5 = 28
How do you arrive at 70 sq metres
jaketheplumber5 h, 8 m ago

8 x 3.5 = 28How do you arrive at 70 sq metres

I
If using those travis perkins boards which are 3 metres, was thinking 3 boards laid across the 8 metres span. then they are 125mm, so to cover the 3.5 metres your looking at about 23 boards (2875)then gaps between to make up the difference.
So 27 boards x 3 for the 8 metre span =81 boards
81 x £6.66=£540
Edited by: "mart321" 21st Jul
jaketheplumber6 h, 36 m ago

8 x 3.5 = 28How do you arrive at 70 sq metres

Good spot. 28m2. Read the wrong cell on the spreadsheet but it doesn't change the £s

OP; no, I'm definitely not saying you are being ripped off. The guy has costed the work and then looked you over in terms of what the job is worth to him. If it was dead easy and he was desperate, maybe £100 or £200 on top of cost. Maybe he figures you will knock him down. I got quoted £18k for a patio job with £3k materials. He looked me and the house and the area and the Mrs over and thought we would knock him down to £15k.

Based on the guesstimate numbers I gave, the difference is £1,100 to £1,600. Only you can work out what the job is worth to you. If he has a track record of doing good work, then it adds to your house value

Only point I will add is to look at synthetic rather than wood. Wood rots and changes colour. And you need to restain every year.
It sells like a, fair cost to me. However, wait for quotes 2 and 3 before you decide.

Also try and find work reviews.
It will take way more than 2 days if the ground isn't level.

I think £1600 is cheap given the prep work required...
Edited by: "delusion" 22nd Jul
delusion1 h, 23 m ago

It will take way more than 2 days if the ground isn't level.I think £1600 …It will take way more than 2 days if the ground isn't level.I think £1600 is cheap given the prep work required...

He said hes gonna build a sub frame to level it sitting raised on the old council slabs on on side which are flat, then across the other side, which is rock hard ground full of mud and rubble and bricks. He is going to level that side, definitely quite a bit of work involved.
The guy seemed to know what hes on about. Hes an oldish retired bloke now doing a bit of handyman and maintenance work.
But he messaged me after i mentioned possibly using hardwood instead of the normal redwood decking. He said redwood is a type of hardwood and that the only thing that would last is marine plywood.
Im no diy expert but im pretty sure redwood is a softwood and ive never heard of anyone using marine plywood for decking???
If you want decking that doesn't rot and is low maintenance, go for Hard Wood 100%, or even composite.

Got fed up of soft wood decking (such as redwood) constantly going green with mold

We fitted Hard wood a few years back, and oil it now and again but never looked back and it still looks as good as it did the day it was fitted.

Initial outlay is more of course

p.s i just noticed this is an old-ish question now, but it just appeared on my feed.......strange
Edited by: "Jace_Phoenix" 6th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants