Decking - grove side up or down

Found 22nd May 2016
I've been doing my own research and have come across some strong and passionate arguments both ways - manufacturers apparently say groves down, most pictures on Google and decks I've seen have the groves up. Can anyone give me the definitive?
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
my 2p worth...grooves up and pressure wash and deck oil every 2yrs, been solid for 12yrs now.
Grooves up on all my decking
Helps water run off the decking easier
Groves up although some think the smooth is less slippery, as water don't hang in groves. All decking is a slip hazard. I fell on the Dam stuff.
Grooves up, I oil every year, looks as good as the first time I fitted it
grooves up. you can hide the screws within the grooves that way and the spaces between each plank should be same as groove so it looks like one large piece without looking like lots of lengths
Grooves up, perpendicular to direction of approach to decking, can get slippery as heck, apply a coat or two of non-slip clear varnish or oil. Eg wood-finishes-direct.com/pro…oil - or some form of exterior varnish with play sand mixed thoroughly in for grit, follow manufacturers instructions for allowing timber to weather - allowing natural oils to weather off prior to applying finishing coat
Original Poster
There does seem to be a fierce battle on various chat forums, the professionals say the grooves should be down as they're meant to increase air flow under the board and prevent it cupping. Decking was copied from the Americans who always lay it smooth side up. I'm a little concerned it will end up like an ice rink when wet if smooth, the grooves must increase surface pressure under your feet and increase grip - this argument seems to be shouted down by others
grooves up for walking on, if cladding the sides of a raised decking grooves down
Grooves up. come winter you won't slip on you ar8e.
Groves up.

I think it's settled then.
OP get these and your question wont matter! They are really good in case anyone was wondering.
Edited by: "TPGone" 22nd May 2016
Original Poster
sounds settled, I'm going grooves up - to hell with the smooth lovers. thanks everyone

OP get these and your question wont matter! They are really good in case … OP get these and your question wont matter! They are really good in case anyone was wondering.

Or get composite decking, no hassle or maintenance
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants