Declaring a vehicle SORN - how does a new buyer Tax it?

Posted 1st Oct
HI Guys

Quick question please - yesterday my vehicles car Tax ran out.
I also bought a new car, so the original car is now just sat on my drive.

It is my intention to sell my old car in the next few weeks, so rather than pay the £260 for 12 months car tax (Seat Leon 56 plate 1.6) - i have registered the vehicle SORN.

I will be listing the car on ebay next week - my question is when a new buyer for the car comes along, will he/she be able to tax the car whilst on my drive using the same long reference number that i used to declare it SORN?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
Yes, that or the number on the log book V5
Edited by: "qwales" 1st Oct
It's their choice and their responsibility to ensure the vehicle has appropriate tax. Now, that can mean they take the risk and drive the vehicle WITHOUT tax to get it home. Or they may put it on a trailer or have it towed - which is an option. Realistically, they will use a phone service or tax the car prior to taking it away. It's up to them.

The official line:
askthe.police.uk/con…htm

Just like the insurance they are supposed to have on the vehicle before taking it on the road. Do you know if they do? No. It's not your responsibility is it? Both are up to the buyer really. As long as you have their details on the V5C then even though it hasn't been logged by the DVLA, the vehicle has changed hands.
Ok thanks guys

I just wanted to check nothing could come back to me if the new buyer did anything wrong.

When it comes to selling the car i will write a receipt for us both stating sold on x date at x time - then if anything occurs whilst the car goes after leaving my drive then this should not be my responsibility.

Thanks
nick198101/10/2019 12:30

Ok thanks guysI just wanted to check nothing could come back to me if the …Ok thanks guysI just wanted to check nothing could come back to me if the new buyer did anything wrong.When it comes to selling the car i will write a receipt for us both stating sold on x date at x time - then if anything occurs whilst the car goes after leaving my drive then this should not be my responsibility.Thanks

you can do the transfer to new keeper immediately online so it will be time stamped

as long as you leave 5 working days between you SORNing the vehicle and a new keeper buying it, it can all be done online.

Ok thanks guysI just wanted to check nothing could come back to me if the …Ok thanks guysI just wanted to check nothing could come back to me if the new buyer did anything wrong.When it comes to selling the car i will write a receipt for us both stating sold on x date at x time - then if anything occurs whilst the car goes after leaving my drive then this should not be my responsibility.Thanks

That's a very sensible precaution. I've never done it myself yet but I believe you can now go online and immediately register the transfer with the DVLA. Saves hassle if they get a ticket on the way home!

gov.uk/sol…cle
Some great advice I never knew it could be done online.
If this is the case I will do that as my preferred option.
I bought a used car from a dealership in April, and the dealer got me to register transfer and tax it there and then on his computer, using the DVLA website. It took less than 10 minutes to do both.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 1st Oct
If you have a log book there is a a long number on there if you want to sorn it.

once vehicleis sold, gove the new keeper the green slip which will have their own unique number on. They can tax immediatly online and vehicle will no longer be sorn.

Just make sure you include a sentence stating ‘sold as seen’ amongst the wording, so that if anything should happen, they can’t say that you added that bit later, after they’d signed it and after the money had changed hands.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 1st Oct
Bear in mind you are limiting prospective purchasers as they won't be able to take it for a test drive.
chocci01/10/2019 13:36

Bear in mind you are limiting prospective purchasers as they won't be able …Bear in mind you are limiting prospective purchasers as they won't be able to take it for a test drive.

Not legally, anyway... eh?
as soon as you sell it before they have even left you, do the change of ownership online takes minutes, then the buyer should do the tax and insurance before taking it away, if they already havent done the insurance.
They will have to buy tax and insurance online to legally drive it but its not your responsability so I wouldn't question them as you could lose the sale.

Just don't let them test drive it as if you do the car could be taken off you by the police and it would be you who loses out.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants