Declined for mobile with perfect credit?

Found 21st Jul
So my experian credit score is 999 out of 999 and perfect, but Vodafone just declined me on the basis of credit scoring?!

Is it worth trying again in case I entered wrong info during the application?
Community Updates
Ask
28 Comments
i got decline from British gas, when my score perfect,it be something stupid,
Pricklerickle3 m ago

i got decline from British gas, when my score perfect,it be something …i got decline from British gas, when my score perfect,it be something stupid,

Will it then cause your score to drop if companies decline you?
Not desirable
If you look at MSE credit club, there are other scores there such as an affordability score. There are many factors why you could have been declined, you may not have enough credit history.
jamie0151 m ago

If you look at MSE credit club, there are other scores there such as an …If you look at MSE credit club, there are other scores there such as an affordability score. There are many factors why you could have been declined, you may not have enough credit history.

That's ridiculous, just for a sim only deal?!
superfreddy5 m ago

That's ridiculous, just for a sim only deal?!

Yep, I know someone who got approved for loads of stuff and has a credit score of over 900 but Vodafone still declined them due to their credit score (through CPW). Had to get a request sent to Vodafone through CPW and then they approved. It's so random!

Maybe try through mobiles.co.uk, you get TCB and many SIMO's work out cheaper through there, which could beat the 20% discount.
Edited by: "jamie015" 21st Jul
jamie01511 m ago

Yep, I know someone who got approved for loads of stuff and has a credit …Yep, I know someone who got approved for loads of stuff and has a credit score of over 900 but Vodafone still declined them due to their credit score (through CPW). Had to get a request sent to Vodafone through CPW and then they approved. It's so random!Maybe try through mobiles.co.uk, you get TCB and many SIMO's work out cheaper through there, which could beat the 20% discount.

I checked and they're all redemption via cashback and I can't be bothered with that. I want to pay the lower amount each month.

Vodafone won't do anything now I guess? No way of getting around this?
superfreddy9 m ago

I checked and they're all redemption via cashback and I can't be bothered …I checked and they're all redemption via cashback and I can't be bothered with that. I want to pay the lower amount each month.Vodafone won't do anything now I guess? No way of getting around this?

You will have to contact Vodafone and see if they can do anything. Unlikely they will do much but it's worth a try.

Mobiles.co.uk cashback seems easy, all you have to do is upload your bill online every 3 months and they pay.
superfreddy5 h, 56 m ago

... No way of getting around this?

Offer to pay entire contract SIMO cost upfront together with additional %age to allow for out of bundle use = no credit required.
superfreddy10 h, 11 m ago

Will it then cause your score to drop if companies decline you?

Yes and if you get 2 declines in 12 months it will stop you from getting any further credit (except credit builder products) for 12 months.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 22nd Jul
OP are you on the electoral role?
Have you moved home in the last 6 months?
Have you changed job in last 6 months or are self employed?
Do you not have an existing credit history that shows you can make regular payments over a period of time - say a year (assume these were paid on time)?
Are you on a low income?
Has anyone in your property ever been declined for credit or has a CCJ etc?
Do you live in a HMO?

Answer No to electoral role or yes to the others and that will probably explain why you were declined. You will need to wait a while and try again.
Even too many mobile phone contracts will do it? I bought mines and my wife's, that was fine. When I tried to buy the daughters, was told no.
Experian use a different system to calculate credit score than the credit providers (Vodafone) do. I know a 21 year old student with a 999 score with Experian.
cmdr_elito1 h, 4 m ago

Yes and if you get 2 declines in 12 months it will stop you from getting …Yes and if you get 2 declines in 12 months it will stop you from getting any further credit (except credit builder products) for 12 months.

Rubbish!
Your credit report does NOT show ‘declines’ it shows searches. Numerous searches may indicate that companies you applied to did not accept you (hence further searches) but there is absolutely no finite number that lead to a blanket ‘stop you getting further credit’ as you have said.
Experian is only one of the main three credit reference agencies so if Vodafone are using one of the other two it may be a cue to check what information they hold incase they have some incorrect info on file.
buttonpushervic46 m ago

Rubbish!Your credit report does NOT show ‘declines’ it shows searches. Num …Rubbish!Your credit report does NOT show ‘declines’ it shows searches. Numerous searches may indicate that companies you applied to did not accept you (hence further searches) but there is absolutely no finite number that lead to a blanket ‘stop you getting further credit’ as you have said.Experian is only one of the main three credit reference agencies so if Vodafone are using one of the other two it may be a cue to check what information they hold incase they have some incorrect info on file.

It’s actually easy to work out declines, if a search was undertaken for a credit application which did not result in something being added to your credit file = decline. Companies know this and use this! Just because there isn’t something with a heading in a consumer report which says declined doesn’t mean it’s not being looked at. The reports you see as a consumer are different to what companies see about you.

And there are different types of searches too some which affect you and others that don’t. Say identity search = no effect, full credit search = affects rating if too many are made in a certain period.
superfreddy11 h, 20 m ago

I checked and they're all redemption via cashback and I can't be bothered …I checked and they're all redemption via cashback and I can't be bothered with that. I want to pay the lower amount each month.Vodafone won't do anything now I guess? No way of getting around this?

Don’t go with Vodafone. Go o2 or ee
cmdr_elito26 m ago

Why?
cmdr_elito1 h, 2 m ago

I love the O2 network but always found it way too expensive and I was with them for thirteen years! I am happy with three. That Feel at Home pays for itself!
fiftyg48 m ago

I love the O2 network but always found it way too expensive and I was with …I love the O2 network but always found it way too expensive and I was with them for thirteen years! I am happy with three. That Feel at Home pays for itself!

3 is fine if you live in major towns/cities but it completely sucks in rural areas.
superfreddy1 h, 25 m ago

Why?

Their customer service is terrible, signal isn’t as good as the other two and there are many hidden charges for things other providers don’t charge for.
I recommend try sim only then upgrade it to with handset after 24hrs
honestly Vodafone is best network .
cmdr_elito2 h, 20 m ago

...and there are many hidden charges for things other providers don’t c …...and there are many hidden charges for things other providers don’t charge for.

Would be unusual to have hidden charges. To obtain service the customer must agree to a contract where the contract refers to the charging structure. If the customer is unable to read, most companies will attempt to present the contract terms in some other format.
AndyRoyd31 m ago

Would be unusual to have hidden charges. To obtain service the customer …Would be unusual to have hidden charges. To obtain service the customer must agree to a contract where the contract refers to the charging structure. If the customer is unable to read, most companies will attempt to present the contract terms in some other format.

Not unusual for Vodafone

“Vodafone had the worst overall customer satisfaction score in our survey, with one in six customers telling Which? they would not recommend it to a friend or family member. One in seven Vodafone customers said they had received an unexpectedly expensive or incorrect bill, and the network was also rated worst for customer service....”

Read more: which.co.uk/news/2018/04/best-and-worst-mobile-phone-networks-of-2018-revealed-by-which/ - Which?

This is echoed in many other articles reviewing uk mobile networks. I just picked one to demonstrate....
cmdr_elito20 m ago

Not unusual for Vodafone “Vodafone had the worst overall customer s …Not unusual for Vodafone “Vodafone had the worst overall customer satisfaction score in our survey, with one in six customers telling Which? they would not recommend it to a friend or family member. One in seven Vodafone customers said they had received an unexpectedly expensive or incorrect bill, and the network was also rated worst for customer service....”Read more: which.co.uk/news/2018/04/best-and-worst-mobile-phone-networks-of-2018-revealed-by-which/ - Which?This is echoed in many other articles reviewing uk mobile networks. I just picked one to demonstrate....

My point entrirely: the statistics show customers' forgetfullness: the "unexpectedly expensive bill" refers to the customer having forgotten that they agreed to pay for xx service, then the customer becomes outraged at being reminded of the contract terms that the customer voluntarily accepted at contract inception. It is not a difficult concept to grasp.
AndyRoyd7 m ago

My point entrirely: the statistics show customers' forgetfullness: the …My point entrirely: the statistics show customers' forgetfullness: the "unexpectedly expensive bill" refers to the customer having forgotten that they agreed to pay for xx service, then the customer becomes outraged at being reminded of the contract terms that the customer voluntarily accepted at contract inception. It is not a difficult concept to grasp.

Or more like they charge for things that other providers don’t. I can remember a few years back when Vodafone was the only network charging for tethering. My network allowed me to do this for free, many were caught out by charges as it was buried deep in the small print.
A good credit score doesn’t mean you can afford something. You can have a good credit score and a poor affordability rating.
AndyRoyd22nd Jul

Offer to pay entire contract SIMO cost upfront together with additional …Offer to pay entire contract SIMO cost upfront together with additional %age to allow for out of bundle use = no credit required.

Which company allow this??
Shotzz961 m ago

Which company allow this??

Dunno, twas a suggestion to put to any provider to sidestep the concept of asking for credit.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants