Declining a Job Offer After Verbally Accepting

Found 21st Nov 2011
Hi guys,

Is it acceptable to decline a job offer after accepting? I made a rash decision over the phone to accept when I hadn't really thought about it. I'm now having second thoughts as the pay is too little and I don't know how I'd afford accommodation. I feel really bad about this but was so shocked when they offered me the job I just said yes!

Thank you
Community Updates
Misc
18 Comments
Banned
http://i.imgur.com/rO9Re.gif
Banned
No you have to work it and work it forever for free

It is awful when you dont expect something to happen and then it does ive been in a few tight corners with just splurting an answer out
LOL! No, its your life!
Banned
People at my place have even been given jobs in writing and then not given them...... Obviously anything verbal is subject to written agreement and you havent written and agreed with what they've offered.
Mod & Ed
Oh what a shame op, is there no way you could source cheaper accomodation? flatshare or lodger?
Edited by: "wishihadadonkey" 21st Nov 2011
Banned
If you don't want it then ring them and tell them, if you don't want to ring them just reply to the formal offer in writing
No just tell them asap. If they ask just tell the truth that it's not economically viable to take the job.
I fail to understand how an adult capable of working can not work out whether they have to start a job.
Ring them and explain that after working out the financial implications of having to find and pay for other accommodation you are going to find that its just not going to work .... they might just up your money or help out in another way if they want you !
You should probably phone and say that you can no longer accept the job.

Be polite and if the person on the end of the phone gives you any hassle just say you are sorry but that is the decision and end the conversation.

This is not an unusual situation in recruitment and if anyone pretends that it is then they are mistaken.

You are no in any way to blame for declining their offer even at a late stage.
guv

Obviously anything verbal is subject to written agreement and you havent … Obviously anything verbal is subject to written agreement and you havent written and agreed with what they've offered.

That's wrong. In English law a verbal contract is as legally binding as a written contract although, almost invariably, harder to enforce. Nevertheless, you can be sued for non-performance of a verbal contract.

However, in OP's case, I should imagine that the chances of any action being taken are nil. It would, nevertheless, be polite to let the employer know asap that the offer is not being taken up.
RonChew

That's wrong. In English law a verbal contract is as legally binding as a … That's wrong. In English law a verbal contract is as legally binding as a written contract although, almost invariably, harder to enforce. Nevertheless, you can be sued for non-performance of a verbal contract. However, in OP's case, I should imagine that the chances of any action being taken are nil. It would, nevertheless, be polite to let the employer know asap that the offer is not being taken up.

Whilst it is true that a verbal contract can be enforced I would suggest that this wouldn't amount to a contract due to the lack of certain terms. This phone conversation really only means that the potential employee is still interested. Both parties know that a written contract is to follow with detailed conditions. A contract which OP is simply not obliged to sign.
Original Poster
Thanks for the help guys, I'll contact them tomorrow. Dreading it though oO
Just dont turn up for work on the first day, they'll get the message.
ofc you don't have to accept, i've done this before myself, these days its hard to get a job and when your offered one you accept without thinking, they won't mind, maybe just say you've been offered a higher paid role somewhere closer or something
Who knows they may offer you more money or help with accommodation.
I think this is how Pertemps Job Agency deal with rejections

http://i860.photobucket.com/albums/ab164/mindpanking/Supernatural%20stuff/002b4b0t.gif

if your unemployed take it some work is better than no work, keep your fingers in all the pies and look for a new job while you work
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants