Decorating a room...........

Hi - I need to decorate a room for 4 days and was wanting to hang drapes around the room - but because it is a listed building i cant just tack these up and the cost for hanging them on tailor made poles etc is rather dear
Does anyone have any suggestions about what i can do instead to make the room look better?
Shall look forward to your responses and ideas!
Thanks guys..............

23 Comments

Banned

Why are you not allowed to use tacks? :?

But I would suggest velcro

How about using something along the line of ]these. You could hang off these (depending on weight of course), wouldn't do any damage.

Banned

sculpturatus;6496109

Why are you not allowed to use tacks? :?But I would suggest velcro

how is she going to stick the velcro to the wall - lol

i also cant see why you cant use tacks, how heavy are the drapes

Banned

sassie;6496122

how is she going to stick the velcro to the wall - loli also cant see … how is she going to stick the velcro to the wall - loli also cant see why you cant use tacks, how heavy are the drapes

self adhesive :?

Banned

sculpturatus;6496132

self adhesive :?

probably mark the walls more than the tacks, depending on how heavy drapes are really

Banned

sassie;6496137

probably mark the walls more than the tacks, depending on how heavy … probably mark the walls more than the tacks, depending on how heavy drapes are really

but this can be removed easier, with a simply adhesive removing solution, whereas tacks leave pin holes :?

Banned

sculpturatus;6496171

but this can be removed easier, with a simply adhesive removing solution, … but this can be removed easier, with a simply adhesive removing solution, whereas tacks leave pin holes :?

yes possibly, i dont why but i was assuming maybe the walls where maybe brick or at least pretty old as to why maybe they couldnt use tacks:oops:

Original Poster

In a listed building you are not allowed to put anything up that could damage it - so tacks definately would not be possible (is tacks not an americanism!?) and velcro, although it might not there is a good possibility that it would so therefore a no no aswell
Those suction clips could be a good idea though - anything else similiar would be good to hear
or alternatively, moving away from drapes - anything else that would make the room look classier...........

How about floor standing upright poles and hang the drapes between them.

Original Poster

We use the venue every year so we would be going back - they also have site managers would also look at how they were put up and we would be fined/told off if we had broken the rules

Original Poster

greg_68;6496224

How about floor standing upright poles and hang the drapes between them.

I had looked at these poles but they are actually not cheap to do it properly

Banned

tanzc69;6496233

We use the venue every year so we would be going back - they also have … We use the venue every year so we would be going back - they also have site managers would also look at how they were put up and we would be fined/told off if we had broken the rules

what have you used before at the venue?

Original Poster

sassie;6496246

what have you used before at the venue?

We havent - it is something new i am looking to do

Banned

tanzc69;6496272

We havent - it is something new i am looking to do

could you not use table decorations, pictures on stands, or is it deffo the walls/ceilings you want covering

Original Poster

pictures on stands could be a good shout - good alternatives to expensive drapes...........

Banned

may help if you tell us what your trying to cover up, are the walls and ceilings bad? or do you just fancy something different

Original Poster

They arent in that bad condition but i am trying to create the look of a luxury lounge and drapes, flowers and lighting seemed the easiest option to acheive this look. However as i mentioned before i am having to rethink my initial ideas.................

Banned

tanzc69;6496392

They arent in that bad condition but i am trying to create the look of a … They arent in that bad condition but i am trying to create the look of a luxury lounge and drapes, flowers and lighting seemed the easiest option to acheive this look. However as i mentioned before i am having to rethink my initial ideas.................

so flowers and lighting no good then, how about furniture, or is that already in place, for drapes your best bet is going to be suction cups, and they do hold a good weight as long as the walls are smooth enough to take , are you going for heavy material drapes or light like voille

You called......

http://www.housewareslive.net/news/images/4853.jpg

Original Poster

i will be using flowers and lighting as well but have been to various events where they have dressed the room in drapes and it always looks really good. think i will look into the suction cups with a light material and maybe the boards as well - thanks for your help!!
thread not closed if anyone else has some suggestions!!!

Original Poster

greg_68;6496452

You called......

oh thank god - quick - to london - and make it snappy!!!

Banned

good luck, hope you get it sorted:thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2642
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1214

See more discussions