Decorating Advice

Posted 12th Dec 2019
So we bought a house built in the 1990s last month. I've prepared a room by sanding and smoothing the walls after painting a wall I noticed heavy paint bubbles in the wall when I picked a bubble and peeled it off it seems an extra layer of paint has come with it... Basically it's stripped off the layer of paint I've smoothed. My question is how do I solve this? I'm happy to smooth the walls further. Is it even possible to remove old paint from a wall I've ready paint stripper could be an option but I don't really want to do that
Community Updates
Misc
20 Comments
I have an old 70s house and it was the same for me, in most cases peeling back to plaster. It could be latex or lead based. Only solution is to use a wire brush to scrape it off and sand smooth. It's a lot of extra hard work unfortunately.
Ladylayx12/12/2019 18:46

I have an old 70s house and it was the same for me, in most cases peeling …I have an old 70s house and it was the same for me, in most cases peeling back to plaster. It could be latex or lead based. Only solution is to use a wire brush to scrape it off and sand smooth. It's a lot of extra hard work unfortunately.

Oh god please no! Must be a modern solution
Get ur wallpaper scraper under it & away you go.
Are you even sure it's a layer of paint and not lining paper? Had a similar issue at my parents place. Just added a really fine layer of filler and sanded the hell out of it. You can still just about see where it was (if you know where to look) but it worked pretty well - once painted.

Worse case scenario - bit of furniture or hang a picture!
No it's definitely a layer of paint underneath. Just need a method of sealing it or something
Zinsser Gardz will do what you need. Then fill surface with Easyfill 60 and paint.
Duck tape will pull it off. You can use carpet protection as like giant rolls of sticky tape. Normally I just scrape if off
Thanks guys
Dannysubaru12/12/2019 20:56

Thanks guys

are there many spots where this happens or is it pretty isolated? Meaning is it the full wall or just spots?

if it’s spots give it a good sanding and buy some Gyproc easy fill or some other brand plaster filler. Spread it thinly with a credit card or something over the areas affected then sand it flush (not too much so it takes all the filler off. Paint over that, it worked for me on a large spot on the walls when I took the old wallpaper off and painted it.
Dannyrobbo12/12/2019 21:04

are there many spots where this happens or is it pretty isolated? Meaning …are there many spots where this happens or is it pretty isolated? Meaning is it the full wall or just spots?if it’s spots give it a good sanding and buy some Gyproc easy fill or some other brand plaster filler. Spread it thinly with a credit card or something over the areas affected then sand it flush (not too much so it takes all the filler off. Paint over that, it worked for me on a large spot on the walls when I took the old wallpaper off and painted it.

Well done.
It`s probably a result of "polishing" or the plasterer inadvertently giving the plaster a sheen,this stops the paint from soaking into the plaster.
Sanding breaks the sheen and gives a more absorbent finish for the paint to adhere to.
No it's 4 full wall
Dannysubaru12/12/2019 18:57

Oh god please no! Must be a modern solution

I've used a wallpaper steamer and scrapper to remove loose and flaky paint, the steamer softened the paint up nicely, but I wouldn't want to do a whole room that way! Also too much steam can make poorly attached plaster fall off.
Van197312/12/2019 19:19

Zinsser Gardz will do what you need. Then fill surface with Easyfill 60 …Zinsser Gardz will do what you need. Then fill surface with Easyfill 60 and paint.

Hi while you are there lol,how about paining kitchen ceilings any tips on how to remove the grease and do you need a special paint so any remianing grease doesn't come through a new coat of white emulsion?
Equalizer2513/12/2019 01:11

Hi while you are there lol,how about paining kitchen ceilings any tips on …Hi while you are there lol,how about paining kitchen ceilings any tips on how to remove the grease and do you need a special paint so any remianing grease doesn't come through a new coat of white emulsion?

Sugar soap and elbow grease.
Otherwise you are just sealing in future problems.
Treboeth13/12/2019 01:14

Sugar soap and elbow grease.Otherwise you are just sealing in future …Sugar soap and elbow grease.Otherwise you are just sealing in future problems.

Thanks,will give that a go in the spring.
Equalizer2513/12/2019 01:11

Hi while you are there lol,how about paining kitchen ceilings any tips on …Hi while you are there lol,how about paining kitchen ceilings any tips on how to remove the grease and do you need a special paint so any remianing grease doesn't come through a new coat of white emulsion?

Agree with comment above - sugar soap for a good clean, at least get the thick of it off, then also use a Zinsser paint - I'd probably go for a sealer like Cover Stain and then an emulsion top coat or perhaps Perma White (another Zinsser product).
Van197313/12/2019 01:23

Agree with comment above - sugar soap for a good clean, at least get the …Agree with comment above - sugar soap for a good clean, at least get the thick of it off, then also use a Zinsser paint - I'd probably go for a sealer like Cover Stain and then an emulsion top coat or perhaps Perma White (another Zinsser product).

Thanks so would the Perma white Zinsser be the final coat then
Equalizer2513/12/2019 01:25

Thanks so would the Perma white Zinsser be the final coat then

Yes
Treboeth13/12/2019 01:14

Sugar soap and elbow grease.Otherwise you are just sealing in future …Sugar soap and elbow grease.Otherwise you are just sealing in future problems.

The best way and quickest way is to use white spirit, smelly and potentially not safe unless the room is well ventilated and no naked flames!
Zinsser is far too expensive to use for full walls or ceilings.
Use an oilbased undercoat like leyland oil based undercoat, it's a purple 5L tin.
Works out £18 for 1L of zinsser out screwfix or £23 for 5L of leyland solvent based undercoat. Does the same job I use it to cover grease or nicotine stain.
diy.com/departments/leyland-trade-brilliant-white-metal-wood-undercoat-5l/330490_BQ.prd?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiAis3vBRBdEiwAHXB29IIk7lu9i85DmcwrpWEgG7cgtQJtAw-w6fOTXsaeQLI2iqa8aGjVlBoCrJMQAvD_BwE

It says metal or wood but I am a painter and decorator and have used this on full rooms to cover nicotine stains or a very dirty kitchen.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 13th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions