Decorating after fresh plaster - how long

Found 3rd Jul
Hey everyone, just wanted to find out from our resident decorators on how long I should wait for before either painting or wallpapering after the walls have been freshly skimmed/plastered?

Will this hot weather help or hinder in the drying process?

Wanted some advice from the experienced people on here to help me decide.

Many thanks

Yes I'm posting and watching the game. #ItsComingHome
Community Updates
Ask
31 Comments
Hi partners a plasterer and said 48 hours before you should paint on it.
Preferably wait till most if not all wet patches have gone and only use a 50/50 or even more thinned down mat emulsion. Thinned with water. You can use a cheap emulsion then wait a week or two for papering incase of cracks appearing. If painting then a few days will suffice but you must use a thinned down Matt.
Edited by: "caverncity" 3rd Jul
I had my bathroom skimmed when it was really hot over the may bank holiday. Walls and ceiling, because the ceiling was a thicker coat ( long story ) it took several days to all dry. In the end I left it 4 days because you could see patches were still changing colour. Don't forget a mist coat if you are painting , especially when it's so hot because not only will the new plaster soak up the paint really fast , but with it drying quicker it will look patchy otherwise.
Leave it as long as you can. Plaster will be a deep pink colour and as it dries it changes to a chalky light pink. If you are painting, apply a mist coat of water/paint. If you are papering, give as much time as you can and more. Tempting as it may be to get it sorted, another day can mean the difference between a lasting finish and problems in the future.
You've waited this long, it is #nearlyhome (although Walker, that was close!).
caverncity40 m ago

Preferably wait till most if not all wet patches have gone and only use a …Preferably wait till most if not all wet patches have gone and only use a 50/50 or even more thinned down mat emulsion. Thinned with water. You can use a cheap emulsion then wait a week or two for papering incase of cracks appearing. If painting then a few days will suffice but you must use a thinned down Matt.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Any particular brand of emulsion which you guys recommend? As a first coat.

Some parts of the house have been skimmed/plastered weeks ago and has fully dried, especially down to the heat.

So by 50/50 you mean whatever amount of emulsion I pour in a pot, add the same amount of water. Cold water or hot/warm? Might be a obvious question but clearly not to me

It was coming home until trippier mistimed his jump.
tinkerbellian38 m ago

I had my bathroom skimmed when it was really hot over the may bank …I had my bathroom skimmed when it was really hot over the may bank holiday. Walls and ceiling, because the ceiling was a thicker coat ( long story ) it took several days to all dry. In the end I left it 4 days because you could see patches were still changing colour. Don't forget a mist coat if you are painting , especially when it's so hot because not only will the new plaster soak up the paint really fast , but with it drying quicker it will look patchy otherwise.

Only 4 days? Some parts of the house have been skimmed for weeks so they should be fine yeah?

Also, if I need to sand down the walls, what kind of sanding paper shall I use? Don't want to mess up the wall which would be peak me
windym25 m ago

Leave it as long as you can. Plaster will be a deep pink colour and as it …Leave it as long as you can. Plaster will be a deep pink colour and as it dries it changes to a chalky light pink. If you are painting, apply a mist coat of water/paint. If you are papering, give as much time as you can and more. Tempting as it may be to get it sorted, another day can mean the difference between a lasting finish and problems in the future.You've waited this long, it is #nearlyhome (although Walker, that was close!).

Mist coat? All I know is that you apply the first coat which will soak up in the wall, then 1 or 2 coats of the actual paint.

I'm assuming the hot weather actually helps in the drying process? As in it dries quicker?

Again, many thanks everyone for the responses, please add if and where required.
EN1GMA15 m ago

Only 4 days? Some parts of the house have been skimmed for weeks so they …Only 4 days? Some parts of the house have been skimmed for weeks so they should be fine yeah?Also, if I need to sand down the walls, what kind of sanding paper shall I use? Don't want to mess up the wall which would be peak me

Plasterer did it all in one day , I left it four clear days to dry , all windows open and it was hot over the long weekend . All of the plaster had turned to pale pink , so on the following day I put a mist coat on . I was lucky as my plasterer is a guy we've used before and he leaves a really smooth finish. Ceiling didn't need any sanding, one wall needed a little bit , but I just used fine grade sandpaper, new plaster smooths really easily if done well , so it shouldn't be a hard job . Mist coat is just a watered down coat of paint , but make sure there's no vinyl in your paint as it can trap moisture under it and can lead to the paint peeling off
tinkerbellian6 m ago

Plasterer did it all in one day , I left it four clear days to dry , all …Plasterer did it all in one day , I left it four clear days to dry , all windows open and it was hot over the long weekend . All of the plaster had turned to pale pink , so on the following day I put a mist coat on . I was lucky as my plasterer is a guy we've used before and he leaves a really smooth finish. Ceiling didn't need any sanding, one wall needed a little bit , but I just used fine grade sandpaper, new plaster smooths really easily if done well , so it shouldn't be a hard job . Mist coat is just a watered down coat of paint , but make sure there's no vinyl in your paint as it can trap moisture under it and can lead to the paint peeling off

So mist coast comes ready in a tub? So instead of me doing a 50/50, buying a mist coat should do yeah?

The plaster has gone a light pink, no patches, just needs sanding in a few spots.

What brand of mist coat did you use/recommend?

Thanks again.
Mist coat is a watered down version of your paint. Take your final paint finish and water it down to at least 50/50. Then apply your first coat, second coat .....

There is no brand of mist coat.
EN1GMA26 m ago

Thanks everyone for the replies.Any particular brand of emulsion which you …Thanks everyone for the replies.Any particular brand of emulsion which you guys recommend? As a first coat.Some parts of the house have been skimmed/plastered weeks ago and has fully dried, especially down to the heat.So by 50/50 you mean whatever amount of emulsion I pour in a pot, add the same amount of water. Cold water or hot/warm? Might be a obvious question but clearly not to me It was coming home until trippier mistimed his jump.

Any cheap white emulsion if doing a light finished coat. Wilko own, b&q , b&m etc nothing special as just a base coat. Cold water mix. Do not use silk has to be Matt or will just peal off.
EN1GMA3rd Jul

So mist coast comes ready in a tub? So instead of me doing a 50/50, buying …So mist coast comes ready in a tub? So instead of me doing a 50/50, buying a mist coat should do yeah?The plaster has gone a light pink, no patches, just needs sanding in a few spots.What brand of mist coat did you use/recommend?Thanks again.

No , I mix my own mist coat , personally I favour Wilkos own brand paint , but it's one of those things where everyone will have their own favourites. It's not tricky to mix ( with cold water !) , be aware though that it will obviously be far " drippier" than normal paint , so cover everything with plastic sheeting , and go slower with the roller than you normally would . Mist coat mix is more personal choice too, I go more 60 % paint 40 % water , purely to make the dripping less of an issue , especially on ceilings .
So 50% matt emulsion with 50% cold water in the paint tray/tub, mix and apply?

Thanks again.
Sorry distracted by football, you can buy bare plaster paint , avoids the need for mist coat , screwfix do a well reviewed one, but it's just not what I do personally.
screwfix.com/p/n…004
tinkerbellian4 m ago

No , I mix my own mist coat , personally I favour Wilkos own brand paint , …No , I mix my own mist coat , personally I favour Wilkos own brand paint , but it's one of those things where everyone will have their own favourites. It's not tricky to mix ( with cold water !) , be aware though that it will obviously be far " drippier" than normal paint , so cover everything with plastic sheeting , and go slower with the roller than you normally would . Mist coat mix is more personal choice too, I go more 60 % paint 40 % water , purely to make the dripping less of an issue , especially on ceilings .

Ah OK, cool. So just one coat of the mist coat? Let it dry for a few days then apply actual coat of paint?

Thanks
EN1GMA3rd Jul

So 50% matt emulsion with 50% cold water in the paint tray/tub, mix and …So 50% matt emulsion with 50% cold water in the paint tray/tub, mix and apply?Thanks again.

Yes simple as that.
tinkerbellian2 m ago

Sorry distracted by football, you can buy bare plaster paint , avoids the …Sorry distracted by football, you can buy bare plaster paint , avoids the need for mist coat , screwfix do a well reviewed one, but it's just not what I do personally.https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-trade-bare-plaster-paint-brilliant-white-10ltr/51004

I know, I'm well stressed with the football. Wanted an early night but that's gone down the swanny lol

England doing my pressure no good.
EN1GMA3 m ago

Ah OK, cool. So just one coat of the mist coat? Let it dry for a few days …Ah OK, cool. So just one coat of the mist coat? Let it dry for a few days then apply actual coat of paint?Thanks

EN1GMA3 m ago

Ah OK, cool. So just one coat of the mist coat? Let it dry for a few days …Ah OK, cool. So just one coat of the mist coat? Let it dry for a few days then apply actual coat of paint?Thanks

In this weather it will probably be dry in a couple of hours ,by the following day I would start your "proper" first coat .
tinkerbellian6 m ago

Sorry distracted by football, you can buy bare plaster paint , avoids the …Sorry distracted by football, you can buy bare plaster paint , avoids the need for mist coat , screwfix do a well reviewed one, but it's just not what I do personally.https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-trade-bare-plaster-paint-brilliant-white-10ltr/51004

Thanks for the link. Looks like a excellent products. Looks like hassle free. We'll reviewed with hundreds of reviewers.
EN1GMA14 m ago

I know, I'm well stressed with the football. Wanted an early night but …I know, I'm well stressed with the football. Wanted an early night but that's gone down the swanny lolEngland doing my pressure no good.

Finally worth it though
Instead of faffing with watering down paint I’ve always just bought cheap nasty emulsion (water based no vinyl) then paint with armstead or dulux trade. Never had a bad finish on fresh plaster
Dannyrobbo10 m ago

Instead of faffing with watering down paint I’ve always just bought cheap n …Instead of faffing with watering down paint I’ve always just bought cheap nasty emulsion (water based no vinyl) then paint with armstead or dulux trade. Never had a bad finish on fresh plaster

So does emulsion paint come in the water based and vinyl variety? Just so I know what to look for.

So you don't mix it with water?

Just trying to canvass some opinions.

Thanks
EN1GMA10 m ago

So does emulsion paint come in the water based and vinyl variety? Just so …So does emulsion paint come in the water based and vinyl variety? Just so I know what to look for.So you don't mix it with water?Just trying to canvass some opinions.Thanks

Vinyl paint is sometimes called silk and is shiny. Matt emulsion is water based and what you should use for the base coat on the plaster
I’d leave it as long as you can probably a week just to make sure. It’ll then paint well.
tinkerbellian13 h, 9 m ago

I was advised by my plasterer to use this instead of using a watered down emulsion, recommended
Once I've smoothed the wall with sand paper, do I just wipe it down with a wet cloth/dry cloth?

Do people use sugar soap or is that just a sales gimmick?
Don't faff with mixing paint.
Wait 48hrs after plastering.
Fill with Toupret filler.
Lightly sand after 1hr.
Use a slightly moist microfibre to wipe down.
Paint 2 coats with Screwfix bare plaster paint.
moneybag27 m ago

Don't faff with mixing paint.Wait 48hrs after plastering.Fill with Toupret …Don't faff with mixing paint.Wait 48hrs after plastering.Fill with Toupret filler.Lightly sand after 1hr.Use a slightly moist microfibre to wipe down.Paint 2 coats with Screwfix bare plaster paint.

Toupret filler?

Thanks for the post by the way.
Edited by: "EN1GMA" 4th Jul
EN1GMA23 m ago

Toupret filler?Thanks for the post by the way.

screwfix.com/p/t…11h
it won’t show through the paint, and doesn’t shrink or crack like cheap filler
Anyone know how good the Dulux trade stuff is? I can get my hands on dulux trade paint for pretty cheap. 10l for £30.

But don't want to get it if no good. Can also get hold of the Dulux trade undercoat for cheap. But again, if no good quality then don't want to waste my money.

Thanks
bump
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants