Decorating tools

Posted 20th Aug 2020
I am a decorator by trade and have been for over 20 years. I tend to use the same rollers and brushes for most jobs as I'm used to them, though lately I've noticed the quality of these drop as they don't last as long as they used to.

I just wondered what the other decorators out there used. I'm talking for general inside emulsioning. I tend to use a Purdy 1.5" Dale Elite Angled Synthetic Paint Brush which I find very good for cutting in. For rolling an Axus Merino 9 inch Sheepskin Sleeve - Medium Pile. I like the medium pile and used to think these were excellent rollers though lately the skin is coming unstuck far too soon. I look after my tools, washing them when needed etc so I'm not after tips in that sense just interested in recommendations please. I'm happy to pay the extra for the quality as I believe a good brush/roller easily pays for itself over time.

Thank you

links for what I used though not necessarily bought from these sites.

Brush
trade1st.co.uk/pur…nch

Roller
thepaintshed.com/axu…w9m
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Where do you buy your paint and tools from?

If they are Trade outlets and you trust them they will give you the best advice(after 20 years this probably sounds like trying to teach you to suck eggs).
Nice to see someone that wants to spend on/look after their tools
Fossa Viper trim I use all the time for satin, gloss and emulsion. Hamilton Perfection sleeves are good but 15inch are the biggest. 18 inch white dove for flat lids sometimes in purdy cage and pole. Pro dooz roller sleeves are good too. Join a painters forum and listen to podcasts like brothers of the brush or other painters podcasts. Ton of information out there. You spraying?
Edited by: "wayners" 20th Aug
I use these brushes amazon.co.uk/Axus-D%C3%A9cor-Pro-Brush-Brush-Set/dp/B005TH081K

For everyday emulsioning. I originally bought the grey ones but found them too stiff for cutting in, my colleague has the blue ones, which are so much easier and less stress on your hand, so I bought those. Not used another brush since. Not tried the red ones but I read they're more for oil based/glossing etc.
Like every brush though, unless you thouroughly wash them out before first time use - they do shed the odd bristle, maybe around 3 or 4? But then that's it.
I have a 2 inch Purdy in my oil based box and a 1 1/2 inch angled Blue Axus. Keep both spotless.
I was told by a colleague a few years ago that the Axus brushes were just as good as Purdy but without the price tag and in my opinion - Purdy have went downhill since they were bought over by whoever it was years ago.
I always use long pile rollers for emulsioning and short pile for eggshell/gloss etc.
I guess it just depends on the finish you want on what kind of surface.

Don't really have a recommendation on them. I've used Pro Dec ones, Axus ones, couple of brands I don't remember. But I think a lot of it is to do with the pile length, what surface you're using it on, how you keep it when it's not being used and how gently you wash them out.
I know guys who very harshly scrape paint off a roller before washing it and their roller edge always frays before anything else 'cause they're too heavy handed.

Axus are definitely underrated - although their stuff has went up in price since 3-4 years ago.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 21st Aug
Blueskinnedbeast20/08/2020 21:51

Where do you buy your paint and tools from?If they are Trade outlets and …Where do you buy your paint and tools from?If they are Trade outlets and you trust them they will give you the best advice(after 20 years this probably sounds like trying to teach you to suck eggs).Nice to see someone that wants to spend on/look after their tools

I find that most of these places are terrible for advice actually.
It's either ran by people who have never been on the tools or by people who have been off the tools that long they don't know/haven't kept up with change of ownership which can effect quality and they don't bother keeping up with who buys what for what purpose.
They can also be very bias depending on what stock they have left/who they trade through more.

Come across way too many people that are obsessed with Purdy as a brand even though their quality has took a huge dip over the past years and there are cheaper/better quality less well known brands out there.
But they just stick to what they know because people hate the unknown/change.
Use clean spirit to wash brushes.. I don't actually wash them much. Just a quick swill and leave them for 48h in clean spirit. Will shift shellac to emulsion and pleasant stuff to use. Not used oil based paint other than stain block for years now. That helps
Thank you, I will have a look at the recommendations.

Regarding the trade centres I prefer to ask people who are using then day in day out as they have the proper experience and no other motive.

Haven't got into spraying yet, something I look at every now and again, it's just the initial cost, and then having to cover everything up. Mostly my jobs are in people's houses so not sure how practical it would be.

Thank you for the replies
Post a comment
@
    Text