DECT phones compatibility issues with service providers

Found 24th Aug 2012
Recently two of my DECT phones stopped ringing , thought faulty phones but found out that my provider uses low voltage cables and cannot handle DECT phones..did some research online and shocked to see similar complaints. News is , only BT services can handle these phones... just want to ask , is it true?
Community Updates
11 Comments
Wrong forum.
Moved to correct forum.
If its a phone service via cable or fiber e.g. Virgin then its will be up to them what they set their ringing current to. Other providers (who are via the BT infrastructure) will all be a a set standard, the ringing current available is known as a REN value (each handset or base should have the REN number on them) this is normally a value of 1 per handset but can vary. The minimum a BT line will support is a minimum total REN of four, this normally means 4 handsets or base stations can be connected on any one line, The REN rating of a line can be higher if you are close to an exchange. But 4 for a BT line is the minimum you can expect.

If both your handsets are on the same base station and its the only thing connected to your line then I would suggest that's its your base station at fault. Bear in mind that other equipment that is connected to you line but does not necessary ring could well have a REN rating, thus a draw on the ringing current i.e. faxes, some routers etc.
Edited by: "Argoj" 24th Aug 2012
It would help if the OP told us which provider he/she uses.
Many thanks for moving it in appropriate forum.
My provider is Virgin ,
Called them and asked about it and the tech team admitted the issue of non compatibility of DECT phones.
What is BABT base stn and where can you get REN extender?
Thanks for the help..
Many thanks for moving it in appropriate forum.
My provider is Virgin ,
Called them and asked about it and the tech team admitted the issue of non compatibility of DECT phones.
What is BABT base stn and where can you get REN extender?
Thanks for the help..
My Daughter is on Virgin Cable and she uses DECT phones without any problems...strange.
BABT is just a mark showing that the base station is approved for use on the British telephone network. I do not think that a REN extender will help you in this case as its more likely that there is a difference with the frequency of the ringing current rather then strength of current as it would not just effect DECT phones if it was loss of current problem. What are Virgin advising you?

Remember that they have a duty to provide you with a reasonable level of service and as such ask them to come round and sort the problem out or provide free equipment that works with their system.
Thanks Argoj
initially Virgin denied having any issues with DECT phones, when i confronted them with various issues mentioned by users on Virgin Media Forum, they transfered it to Tech dept and the guys in the tech dept confirmed the issue with new DECT phones and they said that " i should have contacted them before purchasing a DECT phones"
They also mentioned that " normally phones sold in UK are of no issues"
I bought from UK retailer in person ( not online) its Panasonic K series triple handset phone.
The phone worked well for few months and the ringers went of gradually, cranking of speaker voice and now out of three only one handset barely works. Not to mention, the keypad tone has also gone.

Virgin told that only BT service is compatible with DECT phones..
People can google Virgin media forums and search for DECT issues.. heres one link
community.virginmedia.com/t5/…rue
?go to argos, get some corded phone, disconnect your current phones and plug in the one from argos, see if that works, then return phone under 30 return policy. if it works perhaps your pannies are duff (same batch?), if not then need to get virgin out. taking your pannies to a friends house would be a similar way of testing.

i would have thought they'd have to tell you if they were replacing cables (given your phones worked before) as it would be a planned interruption to service.

iirc ren just relates to the number of phones you can have (i think it used to be 4 without an extender) but a quick google will tell you.

sounds like an unacceptable amount of attenuation on the line to me though.
Thanks..although can't return the phones now after 3 months but will check at my friends place and then take relevant action..
Thanks guys for your help.will post the outcome..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants