Deed of covenant for my son's accommodation

Found 6th AprEdited by:"Joey.Bloggsy"
I had my elderly neighbour who suggested I find out if I can get a tax return on this for my son who's moving into a house with four other students.
He has a student loan for living allo but I'll probably pay towards his house rent.
Do I need to persue this, if yes then any further help would be appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
You can only gift your children £3k a year without being liable for inheritance tax.
Will you be living on your own as a result? You’ll be able to claim for a single-occupancy
Sry ppl maybe I haven't made it clear enough or I don't really know what I'm talking about lol
I'm at home with a job. My son has gone away to university and for the next semester he wants to live in a house with four other students.
I will pay the rent for him....
My question is can I get tax relief on that rent I'm paying for him. My neighbour said look into 'deed of covenant' as when his son was at uni many moons ago he said he had tax relief on the amount he paid towards his sons living accommodation.
Joey.Bloggsy1 h, 9 m ago

Sry ppl maybe I haven't made it clear enough or I don't really know what …Sry ppl maybe I haven't made it clear enough or I don't really know what I'm talking about lol I'm at home with a job. My son has gone away to university and for the next semester he wants to live in a house with four other students. I will pay the rent for him.... My question is can I get tax relief on that rent I'm paying for him. My neighbour said look into 'deed of covenant' as when his son was at uni many moons ago he said he had tax relief on the amount he paid towards his sons living accommodation.

Not sure that still applies.
33590618-7P8U7.jpg

Not sure how well trusted the source is, but a quick Google search...

justanswer.com/uk-…tml
Thanks guys, I think that probably answers my question
Well you do open up a potential small worms nest of rats with this questions. Depending on a number of factors, you may want to think about whether;

> This is counted as a gift in the event you die within 7 years

> Whether your income position affords you the possibility of paying this from 'Excess Income' (DYOR in detail and get the HMRC validation of your stated position)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants