Groups

Deepcut

A judge has given the go-ahead for a fresh inquest into the death of a young soldier at Deepcut barracks 21 years ago.
    Private Sean Benton, from Hastings, East Sussex, was found with five bullet wounds to his chest in June 1995 while undergoing training at the Surrey base.

Pte Benton's death was followed five months later by that of Pte Cheryl James, 18, who died from a single shot to the head. Pte Geoff Gray, 17, died from two bullet wounds to the head in September 2001, and in March 2002 the body of Pte James Collinson, 17, was found. He had died from a single gunshot wound.

All four deaths were investigated by the special investigation branch of the Royal Military Police, under the direction of Surrey Police, which found no evidence of foul play.

But -

telegraph.co.uk/new…tml

He said: "We have used some of the best shots in the British Army in my tests but none has been able to recreate the same pattern at the distances these suicides were supposed to have taken place. In the case of Sean Benton, the wounding pattern can only be achieved when fired at a range of 15 feet - that does not point to suicide."

Mr Swann added: "There is always the possibility that I may be wrong but I will believe that when someone can forensically prove that I am wrong otherwise I will stand by my findings."

Four young people's lives ended too soon. A cover up?

8 Comments

I'm keeping my lips sealed on this one....its a place I would rather forget.

Original Poster

ThugBasher

I'm keeping my lips sealed on this one....its a place I would rather … I'm keeping my lips sealed on this one....its a place I would rather forget.

Sorry to hear that mate.

It is NEVER acceptable to deliberately abuse someone who is prepared to put their life on the line to defend the UK.

Original Poster

landros1

It is NEVER acceptable to deliberately abuse someone who is prepared to … It is NEVER acceptable to deliberately abuse someone who is prepared to put their life on the line to defend the UK.

I agree. If these people had mental health problems exasperated by their training they should have been given help and support and discharged.

If they arrived perfectly fine and they were bullied then those responsible should be held accountable.

you can have all the inquests & court hearings for years to come but we'll never get to the truth about what happened in their final moments.

the MoD whitewashed wall of silence is very effective

ThugBasher

I'm keeping my lips sealed on this one....its a place I would rather … I'm keeping my lips sealed on this one....its a place I would rather forget.

I was there in 1982 and it was a terrible place to serve - glad I was only there short term for training.

Some plonker got so drunk he came back and tried to sleep in my bed and when I told him to "go forth" it turned into a ruckus then fight - I got 14 days inside for trying to defend my right and almost kicked out of the army.

I question the suicides as I've served and I know what the senior officers and servicemen will do to alleviate "trouble"

Yes some might be suicides as the pressure on trainees at the beginning was immense when I joined - if you understand bullying then multiply that by 10 + some and you'll get the gist but the officers and SNCO's will tell you is to turn you into real men and ultimately killers.

yeah, most of the cases are extremely suspect. people identified as being at risk or who had complained about bullying being put on lone patrol/guard duty, poor forensics at the scene, MoD wanting the hush things up and move along quickly, etc. I hope the families receive the justice they deserve.

Mark2111

I agree. If these people had mental health problems exasperated by their … I agree. If these people had mental health problems exasperated by their training they should have been given help and support and discharged.If they arrived perfectly fine and they were bullied then those responsible should be held accountable.

In a business it would not be (knowingly)allowed.
    Like Sportsdirect.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Laptop 1060 gtx ?11
      2. Any tips on finding a cheap new kitchen plus bathroom with fitting?11
      3. Gear best shipping?44
      4. Do you use a case on your iPhone?44

See more discussions