Default gumtree buyer sending courier with cash?

Found 7th Dec 2015
im selling a tatami matt on gumtree for 30 quid and my buyer said they wanted to paypal and send a courier which i refused and said id only accept cash. now hes saying courier will bring cash.

i cant work out how this is a scam, especially since it such a cheap item.

but anyone got any ideas if its dodgy?

obviously if courier doesnt have cash then im not letting them take it. but will i get charged by courier for call out or anything?

38 Comments

When the courier knocks ask through the letterbox if he's got the cash, if not say your parents aren't home.
mind you, it won't stop him posting a payment notice through if you do get charged.

They can't charge you for something which you didn't agree to or sign for? so doubt the courier service would go out to collect without already having received some sort of payment. Will be interesting to hear the outcome lol.

Stand your ground. If you go for the sale, and the courier doesn't have cash. Open the door and tell him to do one. Don't stand behind your door.

No reputable courier would accept cash on behalf of a customer. Don't do it.

It it feels dodge leave it

I don't really see the issue here. Yes some couriers will pay cash for the customer. i have used this method before with customers long distance on ebay. Simply get in touch with a courier ie through shiply etc read there feedback and if all is good i send them a payment through paypal or bank transfer and when they have collected the item they pay for it. I don't really see the scam for £30 here its small change and you can check at the door before handing over goods.

Original Poster

presume he's pays payment to courier which they then pass on to me.... he says works long hours so sounded like Nigerian scam but then again he could be getting work to pay for courier. it's big and over 20kg so guess it's expensive to sent
worse case scenario I get cash from courier and he says he says he didn't receive it.... but that's down to him or courier doesn't have money so courier doesn't get item

ceres

No reputable courier would accept cash on behalf of a customer. Don't do … No reputable courier would accept cash on behalf of a customer. Don't do it.

of course they would, plenty of couriers offer a cash on collection option.

Check the money isn't counterfeit

kash2013

I don't really see the issue here. Yes some couriers will pay cash for … I don't really see the issue here. Yes some couriers will pay cash for the customer. i have used this method before with customers long distance on ebay. Simply get in touch with a courier ie through shiply etc read there feedback and if all is good i send them a payment through paypal or bank transfer and when they have collected the item they pay for it. I don't really see the scam for £30 here its small change and you can check at the door before handing over goods.

ceres

No reputable courier would accept cash on behalf of a customer. Don't … No reputable courier would accept cash on behalf of a customer. Don't do it.

You are both missing the point here

OP is talking about a courier taking their item and giving them cash at the door

Sounds very dodgy but cant see the scam

OP should tell the buyer to make a bank transfer before the courier comes to pick up the item

sounds risky speak to buyer get name address if you cant speak direct ie only e mail don't go ahead

Standard Gumtree scam. Avoid doing that and just wait for somebody willing to meet you and pay cash.

Poppyj1

Standard Gumtree scam. Avoid doing that and just wait for somebody … Standard Gumtree scam. Avoid doing that and just wait for somebody willing to meet you and pay cash.

Didnt read the op either

Somebody is going to turn up and pay cash

Mark2111

Check the money isn't counterfeit

Why would a courier have counterfeit money?

The 'courier' is probably not real. Under these circumstances the buyer will have no real receipt of payment and will have your goods and then claim to PayPal that the item 'never arrived' showing them a spoof proof of purchase. PayPal will then harass you for the refund. Yes, it's a small value item but if the scammer is running 50 of these every week that's a lot of money and goods.

can't see the issue, check the cash is real before handing over the cash.

I have had people collect things for me and I have collected for other people, always dealt with cash and no one has ever complained, they just checked the money some people have a pen that they run over the top of the notes.

I have colleagues all over the country, so it's a great way of finding what you want anywhere.

tonygomm5

The 'courier' is probably not real. Under these circumstances the buyer … The 'courier' is probably not real. Under these circumstances the buyer will have no real receipt of payment and will have your goods and then claim to PayPal that the item 'never arrived' showing them a spoof proof of purchase. PayPal will then harass you for the refund. Yes, it's a small value item but if the scammer is running 50 of these every week that's a lot of money and goods.

​They can claim whatever they want to PayPal the op said the courier is paying them in cash!

tonygomm5

The 'courier' is probably not real. Under these circumstances the buyer … The 'courier' is probably not real. Under these circumstances the buyer will have no real receipt of payment and will have your goods and then claim to PayPal that the item 'never arrived' showing them a spoof proof of purchase. PayPal will then harass you for the refund. Yes, it's a small value item but if the scammer is running 50 of these every week that's a lot of money and goods.

Payment is in cash

eset12345

of course they would, plenty of couriers offer a cash on collection … of course they would, plenty of couriers offer a cash on collection option.

No. The payment is not for the courier service. The payment is for the item. The buyer supposedly pays the courier to go to the OP's house. The buyer supposedly gives the courier cash to pay for his item. The courier supposedly picks up the item. The courier supposedly hands over the purchase price in cash to the seller. The courier supposedly delivers the item to the buyer. Show me a reputable courier services that acts as payment intermediary between buyer and seller. There aren't any.

chocci

Didnt read the op either Somebody is going to turn up and pay cash

Yes I did read the op and like I said seems like a scam. I've had this before on Gumtree when I was selling stuff. One wanted to send a courier for a jumper and send extra cash for the inconvenience of it.

Poppyj1

Yes I did read the op and like I said seems like a scam. I've had this … Yes I did read the op and like I said seems like a scam. I've had this before on Gumtree when I was selling stuff. One wanted to send a courier for a jumper and send extra cash for the inconvenience of it.

you said it was a standard scam so how does it work?
seller gets cash (check it naturally) - item is gone.... job done?

if they turn up with a cheque for 50 and ask for courier payment as 'change' then thats different

ceres

No. The payment is not for the courier service. The payment is for the … No. The payment is not for the courier service. The payment is for the item. The buyer supposedly pays the courier to go to the OP's house. The buyer supposedly gives the courier cash to pay for his item. The courier supposedly picks up the item. The courier supposedly hands over the purchase price in cash to the seller. The courier supposedly delivers the item to the buyer. Show me a reputable courier services that acts as payment intermediary between buyer and seller. There aren't any.

not saying there isn't a scam as it does seem odd but... whats the scam?
Edited by: "brilly" 8th Dec 2015

brilly

not saying there isn't a scam as it does seem odd but... whats the scam?

I don't know. It feels like a scam but the only possibility I can see is that the notes are shonky. I wouldn't do it because my gut feeling is there's something not right but if the OP wants to go ahead then they should take all reasonable precautions. Have someone else there with phone in hand. Don't let the 'courier' into their house. Check every note of the money in front of the witness and the courier before handing the item over. If the courier wants to do anything different, send them away.
Edited by: "ceres" 8th Dec 2015

With me not being a scammer I don't know how it works. I would think it's on the lines of turning up with fake money either £50 note or maybe high euro or dollar notes saying that's all the buyer gave them to purchase it and they they would want change from the seller. The courier is probably either the buyer or the friend in on the scam and they are hoping the seller is gullible and give them change for the fake note. You might think is it worth it for £20 but when the are trying it on with 100's of people it starts to add up.
Edited by: "Poppyj1" 8th Dec 2015

could be genuine - as op says youd need a van to get it so 'courier' could just mean a mate in a van or something
as long as careful no harm done

The buyer offered PayPal u refused, the buyer then offers cash by means of the courier who will collect it. Now u asked for cash u are sceptical. The buyer is meeting your terms that u asked for now u are paranoid about a fraud about to take place.

Poppyj1

With me not being a scammer I don't know how it works. I would think it's … With me not being a scammer I don't know how it works. I would think it's on the lines of turning up with fake money either £50 note or maybe high euro or dollar notes saying that's all the buyer gave them to purchase it and they they would want change from the seller. The courier is probably either the buyer or the friend in on the scam and they are hoping the seller is gullible and give them change for the fake note. You might think is it worth it for £20 but when the are trying it on with 100's of people it starts to add up.

I was confused by your initial comment thats its a standard scam oO

I have been offered similar but on much bigger items (a car for one!) surely if its dodgy money they would just show up and pay dodgy money, not bother with the whole 'I'm going to send a courier' thing?
Don't know how it works but has to be a scam!

plenty of courier scams involving ebay items. One may be, the courier will actually
ask you for the money (his costs for collection). He may be on the scam and get aggressive and threaten you.

Avoid 3rd parties transactions as you will be messed up in the end.
If its cash on collection, ask him to collect it personally. Paypal
will side with buyer.

Another variation of the courier scam is he will claim you just sent an empty
box with lots of bubble/newspaper wrapping and you will lose out.

Its £30 so up to you if you want to give buyer the benefit. And accept the consequences.

Plenty of more information Just 1 similar example
Edited by: "shabbird" 8th Dec 2015

Just ask which courier and get in touch to see if they do what they say [Carry cash - if even they are allowed to].

shabbird

plenty of courier scams involving ebay items. One may be, the courier … plenty of courier scams involving ebay items. One may be, the courier will actually ask you for the money (his costs for collection). He may be on the scam and get aggressive and threaten you. Avoid 3rd parties transactions as you will be messed up in the end. If its cash on collection, ask him to collect it personally. Paypalwill side with buyer. Another variation of the courier scam is he will claim you just sent an empty box with lots of bubble/newspaper wrapping and you will lose out. Its £30 so up to you if you want to give buyer the benefit. And accept the consequences. Plenty of more information Just 1 similar example

so... did you read the op?

Original Poster

I'm so confused.... just texted me to say courier been up all can he do it tomorrow.... TBH I was gonna Chuck item away anyway

Courier sounds like its his mate picking it up.

Deaa

I have been offered similar but on much bigger items (a car for one!) … I have been offered similar but on much bigger items (a car for one!) surely if its dodgy money they would just show up and pay dodgy money, not bother with the whole 'I'm going to send a courier' thing?Don't know how it works but has to be a scam!

Because you can't put an online name to a real face.
If his courier turns up and it turns out (not on this example admittedly) he is paying £10,000 of fake notes.... Well he's only the courier. Of course, the courier could be the actual buyer but "the courier" will not get into anywhere near as much trouble as if "the buyer" had turned up with the fake notes.
Edited by: "Firefly1" 8th Dec 2015

That makes sense! If you pull em over it they can just appologise and blame the buyer.. Never thought of it that way!

Op, you said yourself you were chuck item away anyway.. So... Take the risk? Keep us updated..

Original Poster

will do

Tell the buyer the courier must bring the correct money as you won't be giving change, take the precautions given upthread and you'll be fine.

Interested to see how this turns out...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions