Expired

Defrost frozen pizza

Found 18th Mar
I have a frozen pizza that states it should be cooked at 180 degrees for 18 minutes from frozen.

Can I defrost it and cook it from chilled? I want to only cook half of it as I struggle to eat a whole pizza in one go and it seems to be wasteful just to chuck half of it out as I don't like cold pizza so can not leave half of it until the next day.

I would guess if possible, I would need less than 18 minutes. Any advice from someone who has done this before will be great.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
mutley11 m ago

why rotate the pizza? i have a fan electric oven so i don't think it needs …why rotate the pizza? i have a fan electric oven so i don't think it needs rotating? i also assume when you say rotate, you don't mean turn the pizza upside down right?

What a question this is. I would cook the whole thing then reheat the pizza the next day in the microwave or oven. I have never once been ill from reheating a pizza and I've done it a lot.

If your going to defrost a pizza before cooking it make sure it is not raw dough and that the base is already cooked as if you defrost it and the dough is raw it will be, well, erm, raw dough. You won't be able to move it.

i have defrosted a Chicago town pizza once by mistake and it was a total mess because the dough base isn't pre cooked on those.
Dont defrost it just cut it in half while its frozen and put the other half back in the freezer for another day
This is what I would do; pop over to screwfix. Get a jigsaw saw. Cut the pizza into half. Voila.
88 Comments
yes you can just adjust the time, I find it tastes and cooks better when defrosted. Say adjust time to 10 minutes rotating it after 5 minutes if its a full pizza, just keep an eye on the middle of it. If its still frozen what I tend to do is if its in its bag snap it in half over my leg like a piece of wood if you know what I mean or try and cut it. I am always wary of heating up cooked pizza the next day as the meat has already been cooked once so cooking it again and then again the next could give you a bad stomach,
Edited by: "caverncity" 18th Mar
Original Poster
caverncity4 m ago

yes you can just adjust the time. say 10 minutes rotating it after 5 …yes you can just adjust the time. say 10 minutes rotating it after 5 minutes

why rotate the pizza? i have a fan electric oven so i don't think it needs rotating?

i also assume when you say rotate, you don't mean turn the pizza upside down right?
mutley11 m ago

why rotate the pizza? i have a fan electric oven so i don't think it needs …why rotate the pizza? i have a fan electric oven so i don't think it needs rotating? i also assume when you say rotate, you don't mean turn the pizza upside down right?

What a question this is. I would cook the whole thing then reheat the pizza the next day in the microwave or oven. I have never once been ill from reheating a pizza and I've done it a lot.

If your going to defrost a pizza before cooking it make sure it is not raw dough and that the base is already cooked as if you defrost it and the dough is raw it will be, well, erm, raw dough. You won't be able to move it.

i have defrosted a Chicago town pizza once by mistake and it was a total mess because the dough base isn't pre cooked on those.
Original Poster
LeahsMintytoutou6 m ago

What a question this is. I would cook the whole thing then reheat the …What a question this is. I would cook the whole thing then reheat the pizza the next day in the microwave or oven. I have never once been ill from reheating a pizza and I've done it a lot. If your going to defrost a pizza before cooking it make sure it is not raw dough and that the base is already cooked as if you defrost it and the dough is raw it will be, well, erm, raw dough. You won't be able to move it.i have defrosted a Chicago town pizza once by mistake and it was a total mess because the dough base isn't pre cooked on those.

it's this one. i don't like eating reheated food. not because of any health concerns but i just can't bring myself to eat reheated food irrespective of how it may taste. so if the base is not already cooked, by defrosting it before cooking, the base just becomes mushy and fall apart you mean?

mutley123 m ago

I too have a fan oven but find it cooks better rotating it. rotating is turning it, if it meant upside down you can imagine the mess.
Dont defrost it just cut it in half while its frozen and put the other half back in the freezer for another day
mutley115 m ago

it's this one. i don't like eating reheated food. not because of any …it's this one. i don't like eating reheated food. not because of any health concerns but i just can't bring myself to eat reheated food irrespective of how it may taste. so if the base is not already cooked, by defrosting it before cooking, the base just becomes mushy and fall apart you mean?[Image]

you don't like eating reheated food but like pizzas? the majority of the toppings are already cooked you are just reheating it. the dough well that needs to be checked as some if defrosted and you are instructed to place directly on a shelf will fall through it. happened to me once, didnt do it again
Why don't you just cut it in half with kitchen scissors ? You can do this whilst frozen.
I just snap them in half over the edge of a kitchen worktop.
kester765 m ago

Why don't you just cut it in half with kitchen scissors ? You can do this …Why don't you just cut it in half with kitchen scissors ? You can do this whilst frozen.

My thoughts entirely, I do that all the time with the Dr Oetkers thin pizzas. Quite easy to cut in half and saves defrosting more than you need to eat.
I'd say saw it with a bread knife while frozen
mutley127 m ago

it's this one. i don't like eating reheated food. not because of any …it's this one. i don't like eating reheated food. not because of any health concerns but i just can't bring myself to eat reheated food irrespective of how it may taste. so if the base is not already cooked, by defrosting it before cooking, the base just becomes mushy and fall apart you mean?[Image]

Yeah it's like raw dough you know like when you see people making pizzas and tossing to dough to make it stretch into circular shape. That's raw dough. Some pizzas are made with the dough raw they putting toppings on then freeze it. Some are made where they cook the base first then put the toppings on then freeze. It should say sonehere on the box if it's raw dough or precooked base, have a lil look around the box and see what it says
This is what I would do; pop over to screwfix. Get a jigsaw saw. Cut the pizza into half. Voila.
What were you planning on doing with the other defrosted half....
StoneColdJaneAusten4 m ago

[Image]

Yeah mate. That’s what I said. Please don’t steal my likes. The least you could do was like my comment before posting that picture.
TheRatedSeller9 m ago

Yeah mate. That’s what I said. Please don’t steal my likes. The least you c …Yeah mate. That’s what I said. Please don’t steal my likes. The least you could do was like my comment before posting that picture.

*Deleted. Hope you get all the likes in the world, mate...
TheRatedSeller21 m ago

Yeah mate. That’s what I said. Please don’t steal my likes. The least you c …Yeah mate. That’s what I said. Please don’t steal my likes. The least you could do was like my comment before posting that picture.

Hey he only wanted a pizza the action!
TheRatedSeller38 m ago

This is what I would do; pop over to screwfix. Get a jigsaw saw. Cut the …This is what I would do; pop over to screwfix. Get a jigsaw saw. Cut the pizza into half. Voila.

Jigsaw wont work as the guides snag on the toppings. A compound mitre saw with a sliding action would be better as it will give a precision cut with minimal mess. Garden sheers will work but a chainsaw just tears up the pizza. Bandsaw works fine but laser cutters tend to heat the pizza though. Wasn't allowed to use a power press
Can't refreeze once defrosted
my cutter works great, you should get one, does the job really well and easy to clean should be ok on frozen too

33464235-CstkR.jpg
More importantly, who the hell only eats half a pizza? There I said it, I know you were all thinking it. By the way Mutley, top tip just buy two smaller pizzas in future rather than a larger one it'll save you all this hassle of asking questions!
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 18th Mar
Original Poster
Skaman45 m ago

What were you planning on doing with the other defrosted half....

cook it the next day!
Original Poster
kester761 h, 2 m ago

Why don't you just cut it in half with kitchen scissors ? You can do this …Why don't you just cut it in half with kitchen scissors ? You can do this whilst frozen.

are you sure? this would solve the problem completely. i am thinking it is too thick to cut in half with scissors, but i will try. thanks
Original Poster
Dyslexic_Dog5 m ago

More importantly, who the hell only eats half a pizza? There I said it, I …More importantly, who the hell only eats half a pizza? There I said it, I know you were all thinking it. By the way Mutley, top tip just buy two smaller pizzas in future rather than a larger one it'll save you all this hassle of asking questions!

me, i only eat half of the pizza. i used to only eat the topping and chuck the pizza base out but recently i have started to eat a little bit of the pizza base and it seems ok.

i only like this pizza and they don't come in smaller sizes.
Definitely agree with most of the above.
Just saw it in half with a bread knife and stick the other half back in the freezer for another time
33464469-bTJ1k.jpg
Edited by: "chuckiedoll" 18th Mar
33464470-eqCD2.jpg
Original Poster
guys, if i cut the pizza in half and just cook half of it, do i still need to cook it for 18 minutes? does cooking half a pizza reduce the cooking time at all?

i have an electric fan oven.
mutley118th Mar

guys, if i cut the pizza in half and just cook half of it, do i still need …guys, if i cut the pizza in half and just cook half of it, do i still need to cook it for 18 minutes? does cooking half a pizza reduce the cooking time at all?i have an electric fan oven.

33464551-rMqjy.jpg
Just do it till it looks done..if the cheese hasn't melted, keep going, if it's black get the other half and try again
Edited by: "OneGloveOnTheFence" 18th Mar
mutley18 m ago

guys, if i cut the pizza in half and just cook half of it, do i still need …guys, if i cut the pizza in half and just cook half of it, do i still need to cook it for 18 minutes? does cooking half a pizza reduce the cooking time at all?i have an electric fan oven.

Have you got a smoke alarm, if so its done when that goes off.
Original Poster
OneGloveOnTheFence5 m ago

Just do it till it looks done..if the cheese hasn't melted, keep going, if …Just do it till it looks done..if the cheese hasn't melted, keep going, if it's black get the other half and try again

i can not tell when food is cooked, which is why i buy food with cooking instructions. i was hoping someone would advise me on the time i need to put the half pizza in.

whenever i have relied on my judgement in the past on whether food is cooked or not, they always end up burnt as i always think the food is not cooked but then it is too late when the smoke alarm goes off!
mutley12 m ago

i can not tell when food is cooked, which is why i buy food with cooking …i can not tell when food is cooked, which is why i buy food with cooking instructions. i was hoping someone would advise me on the time i need to put the half pizza in.whenever i have relied on my judgement in the past on whether food is cooked or not, they always end up burnt as i always think the food is not cooked but then it is too late when the smoke alarm goes off!

I have already told you in the first post.
Original Poster
caverncity3 m ago

I have already told you in the first post.

that timing refers to cooking half the pizza chilled, after it had been defrosted.

i am going to take the advice in this post of cutting the pizza in half whilst still frozen and just cook half of it frozen. does your timing still apply to half of the pizza frozen?
mutley117 m ago

It will take less time to cook. The topping will also probably melt out of the cut open end also so make sure you put it on to the baking tray.

If i if I were you id just do it and try. It's not going to kill you if it's abit burnt, be spontaneous! Let us know how it goes

33464627-9CCjc.jpg
mutley13 m ago

that timing refers to cooking half the pizza chilled, after it had been …that timing refers to cooking half the pizza chilled, after it had been defrosted. i am going to take the advice in this post of cutting the pizza in half whilst still frozen and just cook half of it frozen. does your timing still apply to half of the pizza frozen?

Wow
Dude just cook the flippin’ pizza. The pizzas probably expired by now.
kester761 h, 14 m ago

Jigsaw wont work as the guides snag on the toppings. A compound mitre saw …Jigsaw wont work as the guides snag on the toppings. A compound mitre saw with a sliding action would be better as it will give a precision cut with minimal mess. Garden sheers will work but a chainsaw just tears up the pizza. Bandsaw works fine but laser cutters tend to heat the pizza though. Wasn't allowed to use a power press

It’s a £1 pizza. I doubt a few wayward toppings do too much harm.
StoneColdJaneAusten1 h, 37 m ago

*Deleted. Hope you get all the likes in the world, mate...

You haven’t deleted it yet. And yes I like my pizzas hot like my comments, not stone cold.
TheRatedSeller6 m ago

You haven’t deleted it yet. And yes I like my pizzas hot like my comments, …You haven’t deleted it yet. And yes I like my pizzas hot like my comments, not stone cold.

Yes I have mate. It's still in the thread because it's in your quote. Nothing i can do about that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions