Dehumidifier

Found 5th Dec 2012
Looking to buy a dehumidifier max spend £150, any advice on make, model, running costs etc if anyone has one. It's for a 3 bed terrace

Thanks
Community Updates
MiscDehumidifier
26 Comments
We bought this one just over a year ago amazon.co.uk/Del…8-1 We've been quite happy with it, works well in a large 3 bed semi-detached, with 5 people and a dog. Was £105 when we bought it, used our Nectar points. Costs very little to run, but also seems to make it a little warmer because there is no cold dampness, so we run the heating slightly less.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-DES14-Compact-Dehumidifier-Litre/dp/B0029NZW5Y/ref=sr_1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1354746926&sr=1-4

We bout the 12 litre version of this and it's really great, used on a daily basis. This one is a bargain though! I paid a lot more for the smaller one !
Really good thread - thanks to everyone that posted - really very useful indeed.
Sorry to barge in on the thread - but are they cheap to run bill wise?
Was looking for a delonghi DEM10 last w/e due to good reviews and ww.ebac.com also seem to be recommended, but got a delonghi DES12 in a sale instead at currys - seems to work OK in a 4 bed detached - little heating so we're moving it around.
Sorry to barge in too, but where do people put their dehumidifier? Do you put it in the most central part of your house and find it covers the whole house or are some areas better than others?
Elvira

We bought this one just over a year ago … We bought this one just over a year ago http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delonghi-148110002-DeLonghi-Compact-Dehumidifier/dp/B000BP81DW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354745743&sr=8-1 We've been quite happy with it, works well in a large 3 bed semi-detached, with 5 people and a dog. Was £105 when we bought it, used our Nectar points. Costs very little to run, but also seems to make it a little warmer because there is no cold dampness, so we run the heating slightly less.

I have this one, it is surprising what it sucks out of the air. Bit grumbly though and you know it is on, whichever room you are in that it isnt!
Edited by: "aircanman" 6th Dec 2012
whatsThePoint - your reply was great, just wondered how others found different types of dehumidifers. Really appreciate your comments - very useful and informative indeed
Badders256

Sorry to barge in too, but where do people put their dehumidifier? Do you … Sorry to barge in too, but where do people put their dehumidifier? Do you put it in the most central part of your house and find it covers the whole house or are some areas better than others?

depends on the size of the unit (it's capabilities) and the size of your room(s)/home.

We live in a damp estate (near a river but housing built on a meadow so always damp air) together with normal moisture caused by living causes a fair bit of moisture/condensation BUT our dehumidifier (about 6yrs old or more from B&Q about £50) has done the job many times.

Recently whilst the home was vacant there was a leak from the upstairs plumbing that caused damp in the ceiling between floors. Left it plug in on full for 3 to 4 days and most was sorted.

Now I run it for about 3hours when then windows get steamed up and move it about the house where needed.
A properly ventilated homer should not need one.(_;)
Thanks for all the replies great help
Was reading some reviews and it seems that the room temp has to be above a certain level for most of these to work. There are some that will work regardless of room temperature but they are much more expensive
I've heard that ebac are good too
I have just been reading about a mitsubishi model. But much more expensive
amazon.co.uk/pro…ing
I have this one:
De'Longhi 10 Litre Dehumidifier.

Does a good job in a 3 bed semi, definitely makes a big difference. Didn't pay £150 for it though.
DeLonghi definitely are the best. Have used it and does the job.
Continuous heating and good ventilation sorts out damp problems, unless you live in old,poorly insulated house.
I've gone for the ebac 2650e
Inactive

A properly ventilated homer should not need one.(_;)

Is that the simpsons version
WHICH

Dehumidifiers: Best Buys
Our verdict
Best Buys table
Ebac Powerpac 18 DH700WG
£235.00
79%

Ebac 2650e DD695WH
£175.00
70%

DONT BUYS TABLE
Dimplex - DXDH10N 10 Litre
Badders256

Sorry to barge in too, but where do people put their dehumidifier? Do you … Sorry to barge in too, but where do people put their dehumidifier? Do you put it in the most central part of your house and find it covers the whole house or are some areas better than others?

Personally, I would put it in the upstairs landing near the bathroom (if hot showers are frequent). Hot air tends to rise and has more water content.

Just opening all your windows for 30 seconds could in theory refresh all the air in your house thus reducing your humidity levels from say 70-80% down to 25%

Cheaper than running a humidifier and you have the benefit of fresh air in your house which will be up to house temperature in minutes as most of the house heat is within the house contents.

csiman

Just opening all your windows for 30 seconds could in theory refresh all … Just opening all your windows for 30 seconds could in theory refresh all the air in your house thus reducing your humidity levels from say 70-80% down to 25%

Are you nuts? 70-80% to 25% !!! Must be drunk,no other explanation. You never get 25% humidity at home even dehumidifier running 24/7. This time of year,humidity outside is 90-95%,so basically if you open the window you let this humidity to enter the house.Simples
balticam

Are you nuts? 70-80% to 25% !!! Must be drunk,no other explanation. You … Are you nuts? 70-80% to 25% !!! Must be drunk,no other explanation. You never get 25% humidity at home even dehumidifier running 24/7. This time of year,humidity outside is 90-95%,so basically if you open the window you let this humidity to enter the house.Simples

I knew someone would pull me up on this as I used the think the same as you.

google "relative humidity" hence why people recommend having a window open slightly to reduce condensation

air at 20C can hold 4 times the water that air at 0C can hold so 80% humidity cold air has far less water content.

so refresh your entire house with 0C air and your humidity levels in the house will drop to around 25% once its heated to 20C

Edited by: "csiman" 8th Dec 2012
csiman

I knew someone would pull me up on this as I used the think the same as … I knew someone would pull me up on this as I used the think the same as you.google "relative humidity" hence why people recommend having a window open slightly to reduce condensationair at 20C can hold 4 times the water that air at 0C can hold so 80% humidity cold air has far less water content.so refresh your entire house with 0C air and your humidity levels in the house will drop to around 25% once its heated to 20C

Nope. Have you tried.I did. In theory maybe,but in reality it does not work.
http://i48.tinypic.com/6par0z.jpg
balticam

Nope. Have you tried.I did. In theory maybe,but in reality it does not … Nope. Have you tried.I did. In theory maybe,but in reality it does not work.

Yes - I open all my windows for 1 minute every few days. Previously I had 80% humidity and pouring condensation on my windows. Now I have 50% humidity and no condensation. Far cheaper than running a humidifier but you stick to huge electric bills if it makes you feel better

it works for me, end of. Simples.
Edited by: "csiman" 8th Dec 2012
Not long had the ebac 2650, in hall very quiet and when you walk not hall feels warmer already. Trial keeping it in the hall (downstairs) will see if it manages to stop condensation on bedroom windows or will it need to be moved
SAVE5-LWSW 5% discount code for ebac website if anyone can use it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants