Dehumidifier advice needed.

Found 11th Dec 2017
Hope someone can give me some advice.

I’m after a dehumidifier for my bedroom. There’s no radiator in here and it gets a lot of condensation which is starting to cause mound so would like to try and sort that.

I’ve been looking for weeks and there’s so many I’m just getting confused.

I don’t know what the different types are and why one would be better than the other or in what situations would be better for each etc. So I don’t know which type I would need.

My budget is max £150 and preferably from amazon as I have some credit there already.

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask
28 Comments
I used to live in a flat with poor air circulation and no vents / trickle vents. Bought an ecoair humidifier which although is a little noisy, helped. Seen screwfix models get good reviews.
Original Poster
patti12 m ago

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/igenix-ig9807-portable-desiccant-dehumidifier-with-ioniser-and-silver-filter-7-litre-10999-amazon-2846957

holidayinn4 m ago

I used to live in a flat with poor air circulation and no vents / trickle …I used to live in a flat with poor air circulation and no vents / trickle vents. Bought an ecoair humidifier which although is a little noisy, helped. Seen screwfix models get good reviews.

Thanks. Will check those both out. I’ve been looking on amazon for ages but just confusing myself.
Original Poster
windym4 m ago

We use Meaco, had them for years.Great reviews …We use Meaco, had them for years.Great reviews https://www.johnlewis.com/search?Ns=p_stockMessageSorting|1||p_price.extravaganzaPriceListId|0&Ntt=dehumidifier

I’m leaning towards the meaco small home on amazon.
How do Amazon compare price wise? I think JL do a 2 year guarantee. If you can find a bricks and mortar store cheaper than JL they will price match.
Basically two types - refrigerant type which condenses moisture on cold coils and desiccant type which adsorbs moisture onto the descant then regenerates by heating up. Both have advantages/disadvantages - but either would do the job for you.

The one in the above link is a descant type. It is sized at "7 litres of water/day" - this would be adequate for a bedroom. These are best left on when you're not there - as although suggested to be quiet you will know they are on due to the sound of the fan. The suggested model has a timer so you could set it away in the morning and it would switch itself off when either the timer expires or the tank if full.

For the first few days you may want to leave it on for 24-48 hours to really bring the humidity level down. Also, for the first week or so open up all wardrobe doors etc as you will need to reduce the humidity in the whole room and all your clothing will be holding some moisture. Also try to limit the moisture in the room - don't leave wet towels in the room and don't dry your hair in there!

My son had a bedsit and had to dry his washing in there - a cheap secondhand dehumidifier off ebay (go for £30-£40, perhaps more in winter) made a massive difference to his room.
Check out 4air.co.uk. They are a UK company and I seem to recall that they make their dehumidifiers based on the UK climate (rather than the continent)

I have one which we used at our old house. It sits in cupboard not doing a great deal now but I remember it worked really well. We had the same problem and it stopped the black mould. We had to empty the reservoir pretty much every day!!
Original Poster
windym14 m ago

How do Amazon compare price wise? I think JL do a 2 year guarantee. If …How do Amazon compare price wise? I think JL do a 2 year guarantee. If you can find a bricks and mortar store cheaper than JL they will price match.

windym14 m ago

How do Amazon compare price wise? I think JL do a 2 year guarantee. If …How do Amazon compare price wise? I think JL do a 2 year guarantee. If you can find a bricks and mortar store cheaper than JL they will price match.

The small home one is £130 on amazon with a two year warranty. But I have £100 amazon gift card so that’s why I’d like to go with amazon.
Original Poster
Van197314 m ago

Basically two types - refrigerant type which condenses moisture on cold …Basically two types - refrigerant type which condenses moisture on cold coils and desiccant type which adsorbs moisture onto the descant then regenerates by heating up. Both have advantages/disadvantages - but either would do the job for you.The one in the above link is a descant type. It is sized at "7 litres of water/day" - this would be adequate for a bedroom. These are best left on when you're not there - as although suggested to be quiet you will know they are on due to the sound of the fan. The suggested model has a timer so you could set it away in the morning and it would switch itself off when either the timer expires or the tank if full. For the first few days you may want to leave it on for 24-48 hours to really bring the humidity level down. Also, for the first week or so open up all wardrobe doors etc as you will need to reduce the humidity in the whole room and all your clothing will be holding some moisture. Also try to limit the moisture in the room - don't leave wet towels in the room and don't dry your hair in there!My son had a bedsit and had to dry his washing in there - a cheap secondhand dehumidifier off ebay (go for £30-£40, perhaps more in winter) made a massive difference to his room.

Thanks! Really appreciate the info. Which would be better/more suitable the one linked above or the meaco small home?

Or does it really not make a difference?
Have you tried ebac????
Original Poster
Burkos6 m ago

Have you tried ebac????

Burkos5 m ago

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ebac-Dehumidifier-Condensation-Auto-Function-Purification/dp/B000179DE6

I’ve not tried any. Never had one before.

that eBac is over my budget but there’s a few under £150.
Wotan27 m ago

Thanks! Really appreciate the info. Which would be better/more suitable …Thanks! Really appreciate the info. Which would be better/more suitable the one linked above or the meaco small home?Or does it really not make a difference?

I was once going to buy a Meaco - good brand with great reviews - I however bought one from Aldi when they were on offer. I would go for the Meaco over the other brand.

The other models I've used are Screwfix own branded - work well just a bit noisy - but as I suggested in above post I think they all are - it is more than just a background noise!
EcoAir DD122 Simple Desiccant Dehumidifier, 7 L - Blue
I bought this one from Amazon in February and it’s fantastic! I haven’t had any mould at all and it really warms up a room! Really really good for drying washing, I even got rid of my dryer!
Original Poster
korinarose436630 m ago

EcoAir DD122 Simple Desiccant Dehumidifier, 7 L - Blue I bought this one …EcoAir DD122 Simple Desiccant Dehumidifier, 7 L - Blue I bought this one from Amazon in February and it’s fantastic! I haven’t had any mould at all and it really warms up a room! Really really good for drying washing, I even got rid of my dryer!

Thanks.

That’s one of the ones I’ve got in my basket.

Im even more confused now haha
Edited by: "Wotan" 11th Dec 2017
If it helps 2 other people in my family bought it too and neither have had any problems!
Original Poster
korinarose436620 m ago

If it helps 2 other people in my family bought it too and neither have had …If it helps 2 other people in my family bought it too and neither have had any problems!

Thank. Have gone for that one. I’ll sit umming and ahhing for weeks if I don’t just buy one.
Don't waste money on a dehumidifier and the running costs, instead get a small electric 1000w fan heater for around £10 from home bargain, will use roughly the same amount of electric but at least you will also benefit from the heat this time of year, most dehumidifiers blow cold air so will make the room Cooler, with the heather option the warm air should dry the walls out if you operate it 24 hours a day which is what you would need to do if you was to buy a dehumidifier. Plus the heater will only cost you around £10 from home and bargain or b&m, a dehumidifier would be around £100, A fan heater will be your best option to circulate the air plus you can direct it onto the dampest wall or area.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 11th Dec 2017
have you thought about putting a radiator in the room if you have central heating and a radiator near by you could see about having one added to the system.
SOUTHWALES49 m ago

Don't waste money on a dehumidifier and the running costs, instead get a …Don't waste money on a dehumidifier and the running costs, instead get a small electric 1000w fan heater for around £10 from home bargain, will use roughly the same amount of electric but at least you will also benefit from the heat this time of year, most dehumidifiers blow cold air so will make the room Cooler, with the heather option the warm air should dry the walls out if you operate it 24 hours a day which is what you would need to do if you was to buy a dehumidifier. Plus the heater will only cost you around £10 from home and bargain or b&m, a dehumidifier would be around £100, A fan heater will be your best option to circulate the air plus you can direct it onto the dampest wall or area.

Dehumidifers remove moisture from the air. No amount of fan heaters will do the same. I have no idea what a "heather option" is, a smell?
windym1 m ago

Dehumidifers remove moisture from the air. No amount of fan heaters will …Dehumidifers remove moisture from the air. No amount of fan heaters will do the same. I have no idea what a "heather option" is, a smell?

i think what they mean is that a heater will reduce the relative humidity based on a constant water volume in the room

dehumidifier is still a far better and more sustainable solution
adamspencer951 m ago

i think what they mean is that a heater will reduce the relative humidity …i think what they mean is that a heater will reduce the relative humidity based on a constant water volume in the roomdehumidifier is still a far better and more sustainable solution

I am glad you made sense of that.
Original Poster
eslick52 m ago

have you thought about putting a radiator in the room if you have central …have you thought about putting a radiator in the room if you have central heating and a radiator near by you could see about having one added to the system.

Yes, that's the plan long term. I'm waiting to hear back from a few people about how much it would cost.
Wotan4 m ago

Yes, that's the plan long term. I'm waiting to hear back from a few people …Yes, that's the plan long term. I'm waiting to hear back from a few people about how much it would cost.

it shouldnt cost that much, probably less than you would pay for the dehumidifer though depends if you live in an area where the plumbers get paid 100K
Edited by: "eslick" 11th Dec 2017
SOUTHWALES1 h, 8 m ago

Don't waste money on a dehumidifier and the running costs, instead get a …Don't waste money on a dehumidifier and the running costs, instead get a small electric 1000w fan heater for around £10 from home bargain, will use roughly the same amount of electric but at least you will also benefit from the heat this time of year, most dehumidifiers blow cold air so will make the room Cooler, with the heather option the warm air should dry the walls out if you operate it 24 hours a day which is what you would need to do if you was to buy a dehumidifier. Plus the heater will only cost you around £10 from home and bargain or b&m, a dehumidifier would be around £100, A fan heater will be your best option to circulate the air plus you can direct it onto the dampest wall or area.

Technically, most (nearly all) of the power input to the dehumidifier will be dissipated into the room as heat - as well as the latent heat of condensation of any water condensed. So as well as 'heating the room' a dehumidifier has the advantage over a fan heater of reducing the absolute humidity.
Edited by: "Van1973" 11th Dec 2017
Original Poster
eslick7 m ago

it shouldnt cost that much, probably less than you would pay for the …it shouldnt cost that much, probably less than you would pay for the dehumidifer though depends if you live in an area where the plumbers get paid 100K

Plumbers are quite expensive here, had to change the flush cone on my toilet a few months back and the cheapest quote I got was £120, thankfully I realised I could do it myself. To put a rad in my room will mean taking up the floor boards and running a pipe, there's no radiator near, plus the cost of the rad (buying it myself or getting one from plumber) and other parts and labor. I know I'm looking at £200+
The Meacos are very good and they are what we have.

However, if your room is particularly cold you would probably be better off with a dessicant one rather than the condenser type as, from what I have read, they tend to operate more efficiently at lower temperatures.

Either will be better than nothing though!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants