Delayed Flight Compensation

Found 5th Jul
Hi there

I had a flight from Glasgow- Cancun which was delayed 3 hours on the outward journey and 2.5 hours on the return journey.

On the outbound flight they gave us meal vouchers and a leaflet about flight compensation.

How does it work? Do they count the delay from when you take off or when you land (they made up a little time so we landed 2 hours 55 minutes after the scheduled time) I nearly missed my connecting flight.

Is it worth trying to claim. I’m not even sure what amount you can claim (if anything).

No reason given for the outbound delay other than the aircraft being late from the previous journey.

On the return journey, we weren’t offered anything and were told that the delays are cause by one of the fleet being badly damaged a few days prior.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Community Updates
17 Comments
3 hours might be the minimum time, they may of just caught up enough time to get away with it
How does it work? It depends on lots of things, not least who you were flying with....it's far easier to have a read through this link which.co.uk/con…ion than for people to get all the relevant info.

Another helpful guide moneysavingexpert.com/tra…ys/

Without knowing the ins/outs of who/where/why then you should note the delay is calculated on when you ARRIVE and not when you depart. Take off 5 hours late but land 2hr 59 minutes late and you will not be entitled to EU261/2004.
deleted568030
Your take off time needs to be delayed by three hours.
deleted5680305th Jul

No, it's actual arrival time vs scheduled arrival time
deleted5680305th Jul

It is nothing to do with take off time. It is actual arrival (a door open rather than touchdown) versus scheduled arrival.
What compensation are you expecting for 3 hours, a boots meal deal?
Dannyrobbo59 m ago

£270

Have meal deals gone up in price?
ScubaDudes28 m ago

£270Have meal deals gone up in price?

Good luck with that, arrival times are way over estimated for that tiny delay . Put a decimal point in after the 2 you will be closer to the ballpark figure of 0.
Dannyrobbo12 m ago

Good luck with that, arrival times are way over estimated for that tiny …Good luck with that, arrival times are way over estimated for that tiny delay . Put a decimal point in after the 2 you will be closer to the ballpark figure of 0.

Just read the links and given the distance - you can claim. €300. 3 hours is not considered a tiny delay
Dannyrobbo1 h, 43 m ago

Actually I didn’t know much about flight compensation but read the links above and it shows how much you are entitled to. More than I thought.
I was delayed from Glasgow to Toronto when it was the big freeze in March. Flight was cancelled and scheduled for next morning but then didn't depart until 230pm that day. No vegetarian food on the plane due to lack of supplies. I was told I couldn't claim due to it being weather which i guess is understandable.
Dannyrobbo21 m ago

Good luck with that, arrival times are way over estimated for that tiny …Good luck with that, arrival times are way over estimated for that tiny delay . Put a decimal point in after the 2 you will be closer to the ballpark figure of 0.

You said 3hr delay
ScubaDudes16 m ago

You said 3hr delay

A take off delay of 3 hours means nothing when your landing time is exaggerated, it will put you under the 3 hour compensation line.
Dannyrobbo9 h, 25 m ago

A take off delay of 3 hours means nothing when your landing time is …A take off delay of 3 hours means nothing when your landing time is exaggerated, it will put you under the 3 hour compensation line.

I’m not proclaiming to be a flight expert but if like a previous answer says that the time is taken from when the aircraft doors open then it takes it over 3 hours.
Maxwell0201171 h, 8 m ago

I’m not proclaiming to be a flight expert but if like a previous answer s …I’m not proclaiming to be a flight expert but if like a previous answer says that the time is taken from when the aircraft doors open then it takes it over 3 hours.

You can only try then mate the German wings case made it so it was the aircraft doors which is where that comes from
Dannyrobbo19 h, 38 m ago

A take off delay of 3 hours means nothing when your landing time is …A take off delay of 3 hours means nothing when your landing time is exaggerated, it will put you under the 3 hour compensation line.

I noticed this on my last 3 flights. The stated duration on the tickets was about 20-30 minutes more than the duration stated by flight crew. All 3 flights landed early (1 even took off 20 minutes late)
chocci6th Jul

I noticed this on my last 3 flights. The stated duration on the tickets …I noticed this on my last 3 flights. The stated duration on the tickets was about 20-30 minutes more than the duration stated by flight crew. All 3 flights landed early (1 even took off 20 minutes late)

You are correct. Airlines have built more slack into their schedules (or made them more realistic, many would say) to allow incremental delays to be absorbed during a series of flights.In the pre EU compo days airlines would regularly schedule undo-able times which caused lots of delays and eventually contributed to EU compo being introduced. With regard to the the flight crew, they will normally tell you the flight time you are expected to be airborne, to which you can add 10-20 minutes taxi time at each end of the flight.

PS the time of first door open on arrival is now routinely logged as it is what compo is based on.
Edited by: "airbus330" 10th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants