Delayed flights question

Found 7th Aug
Afternoon all. I've done a little research but I wondered if anyone who may have had a similar experience would mind commenting for me.

I'm booked to goto the Munich for oktoberfest this year. Our original flight was direct from STN but they changed it on us. So we've been rebooked on a STN to cologne and then onto Munich. We're flying with eurowings.

My question is this. The flight from STN to cologne is routinely late. I mean by anything from 30mins to over 1hr 30. We have a 1hr 10mins gap from landing to getting on our Munich plane at cologne. There is another eurowings flight 4hrs later.

Is it their responsibility to get us on A later flight if we miss the first one at cologne because they were late (barring exceptional circumstances/strikes) and also would be be entitled to compensation under the EU regulation?

From what I've read I think it is but I'm just hoping for some clarification.

Thank you and sorry for the long post.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
I had the self same situation once going from Manchester to Edinburgh then from Edinburgh to orkney. The Manchester flight left late leaving me about seven seconds to change planes. I mentioned this to the air hostess who told the captain. He radioed ahead and they held the Orkney flight for us. We did only have hand luggage and they only had to hold the flight a few minutes but they might hold the plane.
If you are on one PNR, which it sounds like you are as you say the original booking was changed then the airline are responsible for you. As for EU261, for compensation, you need to arrive 3 hours late at your destination.
windym35 m ago

If you are on one PNR, which it sounds like you are as you say the …If you are on one PNR, which it sounds like you are as you say the original booking was changed then the airline are responsible for you. As for EU261, for compensation, you need to arrive 3 hours late at your destination.

I've just checked and I am on one PNR. I assume the 3hrs is the time I would get there if I get the STN to cologne (and its not delayed so I miss my connection) and then onward to Munich. So my arrival should be 1215 CET. So if we arrive after 1515CET (the later flight they do arrives at 1545) we'd maybe allowed to claim.
I have a query and would appreciate a definitive answer from someone is certain of the facts (preferably with a citation);

As the flight was re-booked by the airline prior to departure, I'm not sure if the delay will be counted against the new flight or the old. Any experiences?

Psycho is right about getting them to call ahead but if there is a second flight at +4hrs, they may not feel pressured in the same way as a once a day flight. If you book hold luggage, I'll bet you miss the connection. Get them to let you take a larger cabin bag. Doesn't matter if they put it in the hold on flight 2 when you get to the gate.

If you look at flight history, you can probably get the Cologne gate right and check your route. You may have to go through Shengen passport control and you will likely need a fast track card.
It's all hand luggage so that's in our favour. I always thought if you remain air side you've been passport checked, it'll be a case of getting from our landing gate to the departure gate. That'll depend on how big cologne airport is to be honest. I've no idea.

Looks like the flight from STN arrives at T1 and the Munich flight departs from T1. So that's also gonna help.
Edited by: "smith2001uk" 7th Aug
You should always allow 2 hours between changeovers. Why? Because you will get compensation if the delay goes over 2 hours and not before.
cmdr_elito2 m ago

You should always allow 2 hours between changeovers. Why? Because you will …You should always allow 2 hours between changeovers. Why? Because you will get compensation if the delay goes over 2 hours and not before.

I didn't book the connection. They did when they told the entire flight "sorry its cancelled now"
smith2001uk4 m ago

I didn't book the connection. They did when they told the entire flight …I didn't book the connection. They did when they told the entire flight "sorry its cancelled now"

I guess you could have just asked for a full refund though
OllieSt2 m ago

I guess you could have just asked for a full refund though

We we're. We still wanted to go and that's what he booked us on. If the 2hrs is a rule we would have had the longer connection I'd have thought
smith2001uk1 h, 8 m ago

I've just checked and I am on one PNR. I assume the 3hrs is the time I …I've just checked and I am on one PNR. I assume the 3hrs is the time I would get there if I get the STN to cologne (and its not delayed so I miss my connection) and then onward to Munich. So my arrival should be 1215 CET. So if we arrive after 1515CET (the later flight they do arrives at 1545) we'd maybe allowed to claim.

The new flight is the flight you claim/go by. I am assuming this change has been made more than 2 weeks before you travel?

If your new ETA at your final destination is XXXX then your delay is calculated by that.
cmdr_elito56 m ago

You should always allow 2 hours between changeovers. Why? Because you will …You should always allow 2 hours between changeovers. Why? Because you will get compensation if the delay goes over 2 hours and not before.

You don't get compensation for 2 hours, you do get a duty of care, but not compensation. EU261 is 3 hours.
Can you not get a refund from eurowings and then book direct flights from Stansted to Munich with EasyJet. Prices from just £24.50 one way
Toptrumpet49 m ago

Can you not get a refund from eurowings and then book direct flights from …Can you not get a refund from eurowings and then book direct flights from Stansted to Munich with EasyJet. Prices from just £24.50 one way

That sounds like a good solution. Well done for that. If the company has changed the flights, they surely should allow you to cancel
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 29 m ago

That sounds like a good solution. Well done for that. If the company has …That sounds like a good solution. Well done for that. If the company has changed the flights, they surely should allow you to cancel

They normally give you a option for a refund or a change

If you decided to select that the new changes are fine and it's done then you can't cancel after and normal cancellation charges will be applicable.
Toptrumpet2 h, 22 m ago

Can you not get a refund from eurowings and then book direct flights from …Can you not get a refund from eurowings and then book direct flights from Stansted to Munich with EasyJet. Prices from just £24.50 one way

Our accommodation is booked and paid for on the 5th till 7th October. I can't find cheap flights then unfortunately. Otherwise I'd have jumped at that chance
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants