Deleting chats on Facebook Messenger

Found 20th Aug 2017
I cannot believe it is so hard to delete old conversations on Facebook Messenger. Apparently you have to download an app. And I am wary of downloading apps at the best of times. Surely there must be an easier way??!!??
After all you can delete most things on Facebook, so why not these chats.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
11 Comments

What you say these days on "Facebook" or similar stays for life ! When you think you are clever ,funny and know it all and comment accordingly its funny (or maybe its just you thinks its funny ? )
No problem if you are just going to be a brickie or shop assistant etc . If you are aiming higher in life your " clever ?" or indiscreet posts may come back to bite you in the bum ! as many employers will access your online postings to add to your CV ! .

Maybe "once an idiot ,always an idiot " is not always true but many employers still view it that way .

I believe there are moves afoot to make it a legal right to remove your earlier foolish posts - but for the time being you are stuck with the fact they are - effectively public .

What you may consider "clever" or "sexy" after a few drinks may not seem so bright when applying for a job, months or years later - but then again the youth of today know it all - Or do they really ?

rogparki15 m ago

What you say these days on "Facebook" or similar stays for life ! When you …What you say these days on "Facebook" or similar stays for life ! When you think you are clever ,funny and know it all and comment accordingly its funny (or maybe its just you thinks its funny ? ) No problem if you are just going to be a brickie or shop assistant etc . If you are aiming higher in life your " clever ?" or indiscreet posts may come back to bite you in the bum ! as many employers will access your online postings to add to your CV ! .Maybe "once an idiot ,always an idiot " is not always true but many employers still view it that way .I believe there are moves afoot to make it a legal right to remove your earlier foolish posts - but for the time being you are stuck with the fact they are - effectively public . What you may consider "clever" or "sexy" after a few drinks may not seem so bright when applying for a job, months or years later - but then again the youth of today know it all - Or do they really ?

He's talking about messanger rather than Facebook itself.

And yeah I find them a pain to delete, even with the app.

You long press on the conversation and then press delete.....

Better not let the other half see those conversations......

OllieSt6 m ago

A really low outlook on others you quite clearly deem to somehow be below …A really low outlook on others you quite clearly deem to somehow be below a suitable standard. I'll leave your grammatical error for someone a bit cleverer than myself.

In you haste to add your "opinion " you omitted to realise I was not stating an opinion (I am not an employer !) just stating the widely known fact that foolish posts etc shared on " Social media" do come back to bite several years on . As you are obviously one of the "clever" ones I assume you already know that ?

SJHan4 m ago

You beat me to it. Tricky, isn't it?

rogparki14 m ago

In you haste to add your "opinion " you omitted to realise I was not …In you haste to add your "opinion " you omitted to realise I was not stating an opinion (I am not an employer !) just stating the widely known fact that foolish posts etc shared on " Social media" do come back to bite several years on . As you are obviously one of the "clever" ones I assume you already know that ?

Yeah fair enough. After re-reading it I was wrong. I don't use social media, and am self employed so most certainly not applicable to me whatsoever. I just don't get Facebook at all. I subscribe to a 'closed' group for personal training and the group of 30-40 people gives me an insight. I find the whole thing far too obtrusive for my liking and can't be bothered to learn how to use it in a secure manner.

In fact your response is a perfect example of what is typed and posted on the internet is not so easy to delete
Edited by: "OllieSt" 20th Aug 2017

rogparki1 h, 46 m ago

What you say these days on "Facebook" or similar stays for life ! When you …What you say these days on "Facebook" or similar stays for life ! When you think you are clever ,funny and know it all and comment accordingly its funny (or maybe its just you thinks its funny ? ) No problem if you are just going to be a brickie or shop assistant etc . If you are aiming higher in life your " clever ?" or indiscreet posts may come back to bite you in the bum ! as many employers will access your online postings to add to your CV ! .Maybe "once an idiot ,always an idiot " is not always true but many employers still view it that way .I believe there are moves afoot to make it a legal right to remove your earlier foolish posts - but for the time being you are stuck with the fact they are - effectively public . What you may consider "clever" or "sexy" after a few drinks may not seem so bright when applying for a job, months or years later - but then again the youth of today know it all - Or do they really ?

It is entirely possible to delete old posts on facebook, and also set your entire profile to private so only those on your 'friends list' can view what you've posted, even google won't throw up any results. You can also change the audience for individual posts should you wish to.

This isn't the default setting though and you have to dig into the security settings to change it all.

SJHan2 h, 29 m ago

tbh the thread made me question the age of OP.

The older generation won't ever learn the ways of technology!

Just delete Facebook, Zuckerberg makes Stalin and Hitler look like teddy bears

SJHan11 h, 44 m ago

The op is obviously referring to the desktop site
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions