Groups

deleting personal information off laptop

i am thinking of selling my laptop, can anyone please tell me how i can delete all my personal information off of it. Thanks

21 Comments

There is software that will wipe the drive securely, depends how important it is. I would reccomend that you do wipe it rather than just try to remove seperate folders or docs.
    If you have a service partition on it you could rebuild it to original, that should do it unless you really have sensitive stuff on it.

[FONT=Verdana]Agree, you need to securely erase the contents of your laptop's hard disk and then restore the operating system (assuming you have the restore CD/DVD) to cover yourself - I'll hunt out a good guide article and post it in for you.

Edit - Here's links to guides and the software mentioned in them, all of which are valid for you to refer to going forward.

WipeDisk Securely and Completely Erases Disks - Downloads - Lifehacker
    lifehacker.com/394…sks

Darik's Boot and Nuke Securely Wipes Your System in an Emergency - Downloads - Lifehacker
    lifehacker.com/398…ncy

Eraser Portable Securely Wipes Data from Your Thumb Drive - Windows - Lifehacker
    lifehacker.com/509…ive

Deleted but Not Gone - New York Times
    nytimes.com/200…rss

How to REALLY erase a hard drive | Storage Bits | ZDNet.com
    blogs.zdnet.com/sto…129

Properly Erase Your Physical Media - Hard Drives - Lifehacker
    lifehacker.com/515…dia

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:
    [/FONT]

to be 100% sure you should do fresh re-install. Even if you delete personal info like docs and pics from the pc and empty the recycle bin, there is software available that can still retrieve that information. Depends how 'desperate' in your staff is the person buying your laptop. :thumbsup:

On some laptops you are also able to do a system restore that should be ok

Bikebarbie;6528241

to be 100% sure you should do fresh re-install. Even if you delete … to be 100% sure you should do fresh re-install. Even if you delete personal info like docs and pics from the pc and empty the recycle bin, there is software available that can still retrieve that information. Depends how 'desperate' in your staff is the person buying your laptop. :thumbsup:On some laptops you are also able to do a system restore that should be ok

There's also software available to recover data left behind after a format, that you can't see in the clean Windows install. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there!!

KrispiiDuck;6528275

There's also software available to recover data left behind after a … There's also software available to recover data left behind after a format, that you can't see in the clean Windows install. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there!!

as i said it depends how sensitive your info is.. i work for a large corporate and before it sends the old pc's etc for recycling the hard drives are smashed to pieces....

Change the hard drive and put it in your new one..or a caddy and use it as a secont HDD

KrispiiDuck;6528275

There's also software available to recover data left behind after a … There's also software available to recover data left behind after a format, that you can't see in the clean Windows install. Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there!!

It may as well be - If is worth it depends on how 'sensitive' and important is the info to the seller and how 'desperate' is the buyer for the same :thumbsup:

Bikebarbie;6528323

It may as well be - If is worth it depends on how 'sensitive' and … It may as well be - If is worth it depends on how 'sensitive' and important is the info to the seller and how 'desperate' is the buyer for the same :thumbsup:

Just as I said....:thumbsup:

what bike have you got Barbie?

Original Poster

thanks for your help everyone

mosskeeto;6528358

Just as I said....:thumbsup:what bike have you got Barbie?

are you a rider too?

Original Poster

i was just worried incase my card and bank details could be got off of it.

Which software gets your deleted stuffback on to computer as I rebooted my computer and would live microosoft office back and my movies

[QUOTE=Bikebarbie;6528387]are you a rider too?

Yeah 2003 R1 ... the silver and black one MMMmmmm Just the best looking bike ever....:thumbsup:

atigona;6528424

Which software gets your deleted stuffback on to computer as I rebooted … Which software gets your deleted stuffback on to computer as I rebooted my computer and would live microosoft office back and my movies

Have a look at something like this maybe?
    cgsecurity.org/wik…isk

There are others - google is your friend!

atigona;6528424

Which software gets your deleted stuffback on to computer as I rebooted … Which software gets your deleted stuffback on to computer as I rebooted my computer and would live microosoft office back and my movies

[FONT=Verdana]Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download
    piriform.com/recuva

Edit - If it's the installation files only your looking for then you will be covered using this (dependent upon how good the restore is & also how much data you've written to disk since the rebuild of your computer) but if you attempt to restore the actual installed files then you will encounter issues, as you would need registry setting as well which you won't get back.

Cheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Any waY I can download this on my iPod and get it on
    my computer

atigona;6529681

Any waY I can download this on my iPod and get it onmy computer

[FONT=Verdana]There's a portable version you can download from Recuva's website - the link is listed below but I would recommend running it from a USB stick instead.

Recuva - Builds - Portable
    piriform.com/rec…ble

Scotty Boy;6529851

[FONT=Verdana]There's a portable version you can download from Recuva's … [FONT=Verdana]There's a portable version you can download from Recuva's website - the link is listed below but I would recommend running it from a USB stick instead.Recuva - Builds - Portablehttp://www.piriform.com/recuva/download/portableCheers, Scotty Boy! :thumbsup:[/FONT]

Thanks again only problem can't get it on USB as computer has no network drivers could do it on ps3 but don't know

atigona;6530508

Thanks again only problem can't get it on USB as computer has no network … Thanks again only problem can't get it on USB as computer has no network drivers could do it on ps3 but don't know

[FONT=Verdana]Any chance you can grab a shot of a mate's computer? Once you finished downloading it, extract the files so you can run it straight away without any problems.

Thanks again mate will do that tomorrow

Banned

atigona;6530708

Thanks again mate will do that tomorrow

if you uninstalled office, then recovering the install folder wont help you at all. You need the install disk.

just download one. ;-)

EDIT: I see Scotty already pointed this out
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any PS4 News Here29213636
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …125295
      3. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2429
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread415714097

See more discussions