Deleting photos from Android phone (also backed up in Google Photos)

14 replies
Found 26th Dec 2016
I have lots of photos on my Android Phone (Sony Xperia Z2) that are taking up a lot of space. I installed the Google Photos app a while ago and my phone is now synced so that every photo that I take is automatically backed up on Google Photos. I want to free up some space on my phone by deleting my photo album, but if I do this, will I automatically lose all of these photos that are automatically backed up to Google Photos? If not, how can I select a lot of the photos at a time (from my album), as I only seem to be able to select one photo at a time? Thank you.

14 Comments

Have a look here

To select multiple pictures, select the first photo to delete and drag your finger over the rest without lifting your finger

Original Poster

MT2045

Have a look hereTo select multiple pictures, select the first photo to … Have a look hereTo select multiple pictures, select the first photo to delete and drag your finger over the rest without lifting your finger

Thank you for this, but do you know if my photos in Google Photos will be deleted as well, as they are synced with my phone, so that when I take a photo they are automatically backed up?

If you look at the section on that page it says Delete local photos and videos, as long as you choose Delete device copy as per the instructions that will only delete the camera photos

Original Poster

MT2045

If you look at the section on that page it says Delete local photos and … If you look at the section on that page it says Delete local photos and videos, as long as you choose Delete device copy as per the instructions that will only delete the camera photos

If I go to my settings, it comes up with 'Complete action using Album' or 'Complete action using Photos' (Google). I have clicked on the Album option and then it says 'just once' or 'always' - if I select 'just once' nothing seems to be happening?

This method is for Google Photos

Original Poster

Ok, got a message saying that I have 658 photos and videos that have safely been backed up and that if I remove them from my device, I can go and see them on Google Photos, so in the process now of deleting these items to free up space on my phone. Thank you all for your advice.

Open the Google Photos app .
At the top left, touch the menu icon > Device folders.
Touch and hold a photo or video you want to delete from your device, then select any others you want to delete.
At the top right, touch the options icon > Delete device copy.

No problem glad you got it sorted

Original Poster

All done, freed up 2.6GB of space and my photos and videos are still there at the backup site.

Brillliant

Original Poster

MT2045

Brillliant

Thank you, I have been wanting to free up space for ages, but was worried about the backup site losing everything as well!

The free unlimited back up with Google is lovely; I now have pics going back many years. But, it does say that the back up may not be the same quality as the originals. It depends on the quality of your originals.

you may want to bear that in mind when deleting. keep your absolute favs stored elsewhere as well, like Google drive, for example.
Edited by: "midian09" 26th Dec 2016

can I add that I did a bit more reading on this...

the diff between the back up and the original may only be noticeable on pics over 16 megapixels. Which means the regular back up is fine for most mobiles. Soz for any confusion
m.huffingtonpost.in/arp…wh/

Edited by: "midian09" 26th Dec 2016

Original Poster

midian09

can I add that I did a bit more reading on this...the diff between the … can I add that I did a bit more reading on this...the diff between the back up and the original may only be noticeable on pics over with lens 16 megapixels. Which means the regular back up is fine for most mobiles. Soz for any confusionhttp://m.huffingtonpost.in/arpit-verma/does-google-photos-compress-the-life-out-of-your-pics-heres-wh/

midian09

can I add that I did a bit more reading on this...the diff between the … can I add that I did a bit more reading on this...the diff between the back up and the original may only be noticeable on pics over with lens 16 megapixels. Which means the regular back up is fine for most mobiles. Soz for any confusionhttp://m.huffingtonpost.in/arpit-verma/does-google-photos-compress-the-life-out-of-your-pics-heres-wh/

I have just had a look at your link above, it gives a lot of information about the quality of photos using Google Photos - thank you.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75856
    2. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
    4. Win free gin for a year99

See more discussions