Delivery by Currys did not turn up

Found 28th Jan 2016
I ordered and paid for a new washing machine (on-line) at 3.30 pm on the afternoon of Tuesday, 26th January, from Currys. It offered me free delivery and I selected it for the next day - anytime between 7 am and 7 pm. However, by 4.00 pm it had not turned up, so I called their sales team. I was told that my order had been processing for delivery the previous night, but that they had then rerolled the order. Because of this, I was told that I would not be gettting my machine on that day. I asked when I would and was told that they did not know. I did ask for a phone number for the office that had put the order on hold, and was told that they were based in London and that no number was available! I was then told that I would have to wait for them to contact me - which they never did. I called again a couple of hours later and was told that my order was now able to proceed but that I wouldn't get the machine until Friday - not Thursday, the next day - they say that if you order on-line by 9 pm you can get your item the next day but I was told this was not possible.

I took a day off of work especially to wait in for this delivery (which I told the sales team member) and arranged for somebody to collect my 8 year old son to pick up my son from school, just in case the machine had not turned up by then. I'm just wondering if somebody else has been in a similar situation and if they did anything about it? Is there anyway Currys pay out compensation or something for not keeping to a delivery promise (especially when I took a day off of work to wait in) - on top of that, they then said that they could not give me the delivery for the next day (today) and that I would have to wait an extra day again to have it delivered. Thank you.
Community Updates
7 Comments
By the sounds of things, you'll be lucky to get the washing machine, never mind any sort of compensation.
You could try writing to them asking for something as recompense for the hassle but I doubt you'll get anything.
The alternative would be a small claims but you'd need to be able to specify a figure you're looking for as compensation and then be asked to justify it.
stuarthanley

By the sounds of things, you'll be lucky to get the washing machine, … By the sounds of things, you'll be lucky to get the washing machine, never mind any sort of compensation. You could try writing to them asking for something as recompense for the hassle but I doubt you'll get anything.The alternative would be a small claims but you'd need to be able to specify a figure you're looking for as compensation and then be asked to justify it.

I've ordered many things from Currys over the years and never had a problem with delivery. I suppose it is just the inconvenience of it all. Not too happy about ordering on Tuesday for Wednesday delivery, which did not happen. Then being told on Wednesday, early evening that even though the item was paid for on Tuesday afternoon (before their 9 pm deadline for next day delivery), they wouldn't be able to deliver it until Friday. The only reason that I bought another machine was due to the fact that the motor had packed up on my current machine and that I didn't want to have to pay out for more parts for it due to the age of it.
The problem with most of these companies is they're quick to take your money and quick to put hoops and fences in your way when something goes wrong.
I bought a PC from PC World several years ago that was "Internet ready". Got it home and it didn't even have a lan card installed. That was a mission.
This page gives advice on claiming compensation for the missed delivery and the time you took off work.
moneysavingexpert.com/sho…hts
boohai

This page gives advice on claiming compensation for the missed delivery … This page gives advice on claiming compensation for the missed delivery and the time you took off work. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/delivery-rights#claim

Thank you for this. I have just read the template letter by Martin Lewis. I'm just a bit worried about threatening legal action with the company (Currys) if they don't do anything - could the company turn around and threaten legal action against me for saying that I might (if no compensation arises) take them to court over the matter? Thank you.
Sophiasky

Thank you for this. I have just read the template letter by Martin Lewis. … Thank you for this. I have just read the template letter by Martin Lewis. I'm just a bit worried about threatening legal action with the company (Currys) if they don't do anything - could the company turn around and threaten legal action against me for saying that I might (if no compensation arises) take them to court over the matter? Thank you.

They can't take legal action against you just cos you suggest you might take legal action against them.
At this moment, Currys are in breach of contract, they contracted to deliver your goods on a set day, and failed to do that (worse, failed to inform you that would be the case). However, I would guess they have a clause somewhere in their contract that covers them for that. Before you try asking for compensation, check carefully through the small print on your order.
My friend had same problem with a fridge freezer that on was offer there. Endless calls to a expensive Currys number and just BS saying it turn up in 2 days. That went on for a month. She then cancelled it and they offered her £20 voucher to spend in Currys she told them she never shop in Currys again.
Best thing was there was a much better fridge freezer on offer from AO cheaper and that got delivered the next day.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants