Expired

Delivery Companies Signing on Your Behalf..

Found 14th Sep 2015
Where I live its pretty remote and secure, and as such.. my Postie, and Delivery Drivers have now taken to opening my front door throwing packages in and signing on my behalf for parcels. this 'seemed' great..

until recently I have noticed one or two parcels left on the doorstep signed for, now if it crosses my front door id consider it safe delivery, but even though I live in a quiet area, we still get people delivering leaflets and charity bags, paper boys, window cleaners, gardeners etc.. and my house is very open to the road.

now to make matters worse I have a expensive package of £250+ from eBay (its a lens) stating it was delivered and signed for. but I haven't received it, so I do not know if its genuinely gone missing, or if the seller is trying it on.. of course the seller is saying its been signed for and a date and time, when I happen to of not been in..

not sure how I go about dealing with this, anyone had any experience of this? because I have a feeling I am going to have to convince someone i didn't sign for it.

The company n question is DPD .. but Royal mail, Yodel and Parcel Force all do this..
Community Updates
Misc
29 Comments
With Royal Mail, you can see who has signed for your delivery and what the signature looks like by going on to their website.
I get told by customers all the time to just sign for the item myself but I won't do it for the exact reasons that you are saying.
At the end of the day, the customer is the person that sent the item, not the person that is receiving it. If Amazon, Rakuten etc have specified the item should be signed for by the recipient and I fail to obtain that signature then the contract has been breached and I wouldn't have done my job correctly.
Sadly, not all Posties think like this.
Ive just had to make a signed for claim via royal mail, i sent an ipod i sold over ebay first class recorded shows a delivered and signed by the person who I sold it to by there local delivery office however they are adamant not received the item, I have had to refund and am going through the lengthy process of trying to get my money back I think you need to contact the seller and ask them to raise a claim, if they dont respond raise an ebay dispute
johnwillowlfc

Ive just had to make a signed for claim via royal mail, i sent an ipod i … Ive just had to make a signed for claim via royal mail, i sent an ipod i sold over ebay first class recorded shows a delivered and signed by the person who I sold it to by there local delivery office however they are adamant not received the item, I have had to refund and am going through the lengthy process of trying to get my money back I think you need to contact the seller and ask them to raise a claim, if they dont respond raise an ebay dispute

What have Royal Mail said about it?
Seems odd that your claim will be handled by them if there is a signature of the recipient available. Id have thought that eBay would handle the claim.
Do you not have a tracking link for DPD?
stuarthanley

What have Royal Mail said about it?Seems odd that your claim will be … What have Royal Mail said about it?Seems odd that your claim will be handled by them if there is a signature of the recipient available. Id have thought that eBay would handle the claim.

The claim is being handled and they are investigating, as the buyer is claiming someone in royal mail has stolen the item the problem is with them not eBay, eBay have refunded the buyer as they claim to have not received the item
Banned
I had something very similar.

Bought something from ebay which was send using a courier. (I cant think which is was but I expect the messages are still in my account if its important - it wasnt Royal mail!)

Anyway, the guy left it "somewhere safe" according to the card that was put through my letterbox. When I arrived home and looked, there was no parcel.

I contacted the seller and his reply was "its been signed for" which of course it hadnt. I asked him to contact the courier and he just said "you do it". ie an unhelpful git.

So I lodged a complain for non arrival, supplying photos of the door (visible from the road) and lack of this so called "safe place". I also gave the email messages Id had with the courier basically saying they wont deal with me direct.

I made sure ebay understood that Id not received or signed for anything and could prove it. Furthermore, I had bidded for a replacement since its clear its been stolen from my front door - which is far from "a safe place".

Ebay ruled in his favour and I lost my money. I tried then using paypal to claim back and they said "a ruling has been made and binding."

Yours is even worse as there is a signature.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

EDIT: Actually I just remembered. I had paid for Royal Mail recorded and he then used some crappy £2.99 courier. Even that didnt help my case.

I dont doubt the fella sent me the item (valued at about £15), but since he refused to initiate a claim for his contract, I was rather miffed. I even provided a crime reference number (relating to a report I made to convince ebay) That failed too.

Edited by: "365pizza" 14th Sep 2015
Banned
deleted57959

Thanks I just explained the situation to the seller, so to await a reply … Thanks I just explained the situation to the seller, so to await a reply see if this person is reasonable or thinks I am a scammer. I might call DPD tomorrow and explain too, if the courier can admit he left it at the door?

I suppose the fact you have a forged signature could go in your favour if you can prove that. I would also suggest calling the police to report a theft and fraud taken place. It adds weight to your claim. Well it should. It did sweet FA for me I know.

Actually it reminds me about Amazon. On 2 occasions Ive waited in watching the tracking thing only to see "item delivered" and nothing has. Luckily Amazon did deal with it, but I told them to get on the phone to the courier and speak to the driver as he's allegedly just left. They never did.

And something just yesterday, I bought something for a friend in the US which was supposed to arrive yesterday. I moaned at them because it hadnt and was told it would arrive Monday as it was now after 9pm (1 am here). It turns out it was being delivered by USPS, which Id assumed was a courier but is their "Royal Mail". **** me - as we were "chatting" the item was allegedly put in the mail box. I got that checked and was a complete fabrication. Thing is, they dont work on a Sunday so why the hell they were trying to pull that stunt I dont know. It got them to ship out another - this time with next day delivery (They did say before 9am). That went and passed, but I then got an email saying "out for delivery". (Via a company called Lasership). Anyway, about 30 minutes ago, am email arrived to say it had been left on the doorstop at 11.50 EST. If it has, it'll be safe as its in a very well to do area. Cant check until they are home tonight. But in all honesty, all these companies seem to lie through their teeth.
Couple of things. Why didn't you speak to RM or whoever straight after when you first stated receiving a signed package? Also you should perhaps provide a safe box for packages that the postie can then lock shut when you're not in. Although he wont be able to sign it obviously..

Anyone can knock a wooden box up or buy one even. Aren't you a woodworker?..Should be made an regulation imo.

CookinBat

Couple of things. Why didn't you speak to RM or whoever straight after … Couple of things. Why didn't you speak to RM or whoever straight after when you first stated receiving a signed package? Also you should perhaps provide a safe box for packages that the postie can then lock shut when you're not in. Although he wont be able to sign it obviously..Anyone can knock a wooden box up or buy one even. Aren't you a woodworker?..Should be made an regulation imo.

hari is a womble X)
deleted57959

Well it was a courier company DPD.. I didn't have tracking details the … Well it was a courier company DPD.. I didn't have tracking details the seller did. How would you secure a box so only you and the delivery people have access?

box and unlocked padlock
insert parcel and close padlock
(remember not to leave key)
guess will only work with 1 delivery per box

or you could have a delivery helter skelter
they post it through a hatch and it slides in a spiral down to the bottom where you have keyed access

sure you can come up with something!
Edited by: "brilly" 14th Sep 2015
deleted57959

Well it was a courier company DPD.. I didn't have tracking details the … Well it was a courier company DPD.. I didn't have tracking details the seller did. How would you secure a box so only you and the delivery people have access?

Seems odd. Usually bolts. Would you like me to give you a quote?
100 bones and it's yours lol..
http://www.stylemotivation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/24-Creative-Funny-Handmade-Mailbox-Designs-5.jpg
Get a cheap CCTV camera and point it towards your door. In future you can then prove that it was not signed for by yourself and can even see if it gets nicked after it is left on the doorstep. Cheap CCTV should not cost a lot. £50 for a single camera rigged up to a cheap NAS drive or Server.
Why dont you lock your door, its madness to leave it unlocked, then they will not sign for it and take it away, its a fraudulent signature anyway I am sure they can be fired for doing that.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 14th Sep 2015
NEtech

Get a cheap CCTV camera and point it towards your door. In future you … Get a cheap CCTV camera and point it towards your door. In future you can then prove that it was not signed for by yourself and can even see if it gets nicked after it is left on the doorstep. Cheap CCTV should not cost a lot. £50 for a single camera rigged up to a cheap NAS drive or Server.

Better not buy that cctv online. Might go missing in the post X)
Edited by: "Standi" 15th Sep 2015
Whenever dpd leave a parcel for me they when I'm not home they take a photo to show where they've left it and email me the picture, not sure if its supposed to be company policy or we're just lucky and have a decent driver.
deleted57959

I leave my door unlocked when I am in, not while I am out.

Then they should wait, its a cheek to sign on the customers behalf it makes a mockery of the system, the seller has paid extra for the signature as security.
If it's not your signature, you haven't received it. Plain and simple. Claim time..
Banned
deleted57959

never had that lol, although I do like there tracking as it shows you … never had that lol, although I do like there tracking as it shows you where they are..Should point out that nothing left outside this house has gone missing before.

The parcel that was supposed to.be delivered on.Saturday (then shown delivered on the Sunday) and the fresh order replacement with one day Delivery arrived inside my friends locked mailbox yesterday at 1140 EDT

Amazon said to keep the first one if it turned up. Result.
Edited by: "365pizza" 15th Sep 2015
Banned
deleted57959

Cant see myself being so lucky.. although fingers crossed.

Well the friends were lucky (not me as I paid the same regardless). They're happy though.
Dyslexic_Dog

Whenever dpd leave a parcel for me they when I'm not home they take a … Whenever dpd leave a parcel for me they when I'm not home they take a photo to show where they've left it and email me the picture, not sure if its supposed to be company policy or we're just lucky and have a decent driver.

They have done that for me once. Had a photo of a door with number 41. My street ends at 21 oO.
Had to argue with Amazon saying my street didn't even go that high. Turns out it was delivered over half a mile away .
Parcelforce tried this on with me a few months back.

Stated they delivered the parcel and had a signature too. Local depot was far from helpful and main contact service desk were even worse. I continued to plead that the signature was not mine and I want the situation investigated. Low behold they driver had delivered it to another address and cited that it was raining and could not read the numbers on the houses correctly.

With the amount of parcel deliveries increasing year on year, I guess it will take more customers complaining to create change in terms of ensuring that parcels are signed ONLY by the name on the parcel or someone at the exact address.
Yeah I've had the it was delivered to your home address, blue door here's proof the driver took a picture....have a hard job I've had a white door for the last 3 years

City link is notorious for losing parcels round our way
deleted57959

I leave my door unlocked when I am in, not while I am out.

There is an increase in Cars being stolen, using keys from unlocked homes. You may want to start locking.
zombrex

Yeah I've had the it was delivered to your home address, blue door … Yeah I've had the it was delivered to your home address, blue door here's proof the driver took a picture....have a hard job I've had a white door for the last 3 yearsCity link is notorious for losing parcels round our way

Well to be fair, City Link did lose all their jobs.
brilly

hari is a womble X)

i thought she was a Chinese female :0
Banned
Thats weird.

All they had to do was send ebay the tracking mail link showing it had been signed and you would have lost. Well done. The guy I was against was happy to help ebay but not to help get the package to me and deal with his courier.
Banned
deleted57959

They did, but I made clear in my dispute it wasn't my signature and I … They did, but I made clear in my dispute it wasn't my signature and I also sent them a copy of my Driving licence for signature, but I think what won it, was an email I forwarded from DPD confirming it wasn't a proper signature and that the seller hadn't asked for an investigation.. I think it was the fact the signature obtained was basically a straight line..

I sent them so much info - photos of my door (showing there was no "safe place". Scan of the card that was left sayng "left on door step". Correspondence with the courier. A crime number (for the theft from my doorstep). The argument I had paid for a royal mail recorded service and he'd used some cheapy service. And his refusal to contact the courier (telling me I should, despite already done and told him its his contract which he must be the point of contact.)

And still lost
Banned
deleted57959

Don't know what to say then, maybe its down to whoever is investigating?

Probably gods will! lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions