Groups
    EXPIRED

dell 1501 laptop probs

SuperEd
    got my sis laptop here and keeps coming up with error saying

PXE-E61 MEDIA TEST FAILURE,CHECK CABLE
    PXE-M0F EXITING BROADCOM PXE ROM

ive tried changing the hardrive to no avil and re installing windows but no drive is found
    and tried to disable this in bios but get a blank screen?

13 Comments

Try using the Dell site for the error codes, you put in the dell PC info and codes and it gives you the likely cause of the problem. Did this for my cousins, told me the HD had gone, changed it, worked fine again.

Original Poster SuperEd

cant find anything

Original Poster SuperEd

bump HELP!

Original Poster SuperEd

dcx_badass;6228778

Broadcom usually make network stuff.

yeh i turned that off and still cant find a hard drive

Original Poster SuperEd

whatsThePoint;6228986

If you look on top of the laptop its explains the problem in big letters

yep bios set to hard disk booting first says: fixed disk:

Original Poster SuperEd

how can i flash bios if i cant even get onto windows? can i boot it via usb if so how?

Original Poster SuperEd

whatsThePoint;6230163

can you get into windows using safe mode?

doesnt even get into windows just comes up with that error after a short time booting?

I also have a Dell laptop in for repair, a Dell Inspiron, my mate has also had numerous problems with Dell, new power lead, new battery, and now needing new hinges, at less than 18 months old.

I've had my Toshiba for 6 years, with not a thing go wrong.

I have an Inspiron 1501 stored away but I brought it out to check a couple of things.

Enter the BIOS and look half way down the screen for "Fixed Disk" under "ATAPI CD-ROM", is there a model number shown to the right? If not the hard drive is more than likely faulty.

Original Poster SuperEd

abomination;6230514

I have an Inspiron 1501 stored away but I brought it out to check a … I have an Inspiron 1501 stored away but I brought it out to check a couple of things.Enter the BIOS and look half way down the screen for "Fixed Disk" under "ATAPI CD-ROM", is there a model number shown to the right? If not the hard drive is more than likely faulty.

nothing there at all but tried 2 drives?

Are you saying that you can't even find the "Fixed Disk" heading, or that it shows "None" instead of a model number?

If you want to reflash the BIOS that can be done outside of Windows.

Also note that even with a problematic hard drive you can still access, well should be able to access the diagnostics. Press F12 on boot and select it from the menu that appears.

Original Poster SuperEd

where it says fixed disk: its blank and atapi is underneath it,and have run diagnostics and states no hard drive so think it might be knakered,think im gonna have to look for a new drive

the message you are getting is a network media test, its trying to boot from a network as it can't see the hdd.
    if its a sata drive good news is scan have some 40gb ones on today only at about £15..
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Any better deals after year's Sky subscription is nearly up?22
      2. sky q is it a good deal?55
      3. Speccing a gaming pc37
      4. help: windows 10 wifi issue55

See more discussions