Groups

Dell Christmas deal scam!!!

Have any one ordered Dell Inspiron 1721 Turion 64 X2 TL60 (2.0Ghz, 512K) for £449.11? I ordered one on 28th December 2007 and was notified that the delivery date will be 17th January 2008. Suddenly yesterday they revised the delivery date to be 22nd February 2008. I wrote back to the Customer Service and they came back saying that 'Due to the popularity of the product our demand has exceeded supply...'. No apologies expressed at all!!! Any comments or advise as to how to deal with these people are welcome.

16 Comments

Perhaps my post ]here on the Dell Complaint thread will help as that is what they did with my monitor order.

Moved to correct forum.

I thought Dell worked on an initial email providing an estimated date based on how long on average they take to process (and build, not sure if that applies to laptops?). A subsequent email then confirms the delivery date? That's what I got at least when I order from Dell just before Chrimbo. Even got a phone to check delivery date and morning OK too. Didn't arrive till PM but that was courier at fault who have applogised.

Seems to me that due to uptake the estimate is now way out and so they have changed the date on the latter confirmation to match when they next have stock coming in?

Hardly a scam but I guess some form of applogy should have been in order after you enquired?

Victims of their own success really, I feel for those who's orders have been delayed but it seems dell who run a JIT assembly process to keep down costs have been shot in the foot again by suppliers failing to keep up with demand.
    The problem dell have now is that they really cant stop advertising kit, all they can do is advise of extended delivery times, they do have a business to run after all.
    I would expect an apology email for sure though.

I've ordered the same model on 30/12/07 midnight, got an estimated delivery date as "before or on 18th". Yesterday emailed their customer service as I saw the status was still "pre-production" while the delivery date was just two days away. Got an email reply saying it's "IN-Production" now and confirmation of 18th delivery.

This morning I checked the order status on their website, however found it's been changed to 25th. No email notification was received. Called their customer service, an Indian girl was saying the exact same thing: popular model, high demand bla bla bla, probably something they recite. I said I wanted to talk to her supervisor, then she said leave the phone number and her supervisor will call me back. So far nothing happened.

The money has been taken out for over two weeks.

Original Poster

Thanks for the comments! Mike's site is a good one, if I ever get the laptop from Dell. I have named it as scam as I felt that Dell purposely drove customers away from competition by putting in an offer they had no means to handle. I do not know it applies to how many of you but, I placed an order for similar laptop with Dixons on the Christmas day at the same price, three days later I found Dell's offer having a better processor, Bluetooth etc. than Dixons. I canceled the Dixons' order although they brought down the price by another £30. They also sent me the laptop and I did not accept as I had already committed on Dell. Although I did not see the delivery date initially but later accepted it as I was getting a good deal. Now they have found they are at a loss or the supplier cannot supply or whatever and extended the delivery date to 22nd Feb 2008 just yesterday, two days before the committed delivery date. Although I had called them earlier and they had assured that it will be 17th or earlier. A two month delivery period is unthinkable for a highly volatile product like a computer, where configurations changes everyday! What more can we describe their intentions?

I had a 1721 laptop ordered since the beginning of December, and I was told it would bee delivered by 24/12/07 As it was stuck in pre-production for ages I phoned and was promised that the webpage was inaccurate and it was in production and would definitely be with me before Christmas. The next day I got an e-mail telling me my laptop wouldn't be ready until the middle of January. I was understandably furious as I had so much uni work to do over Christmas, so I phoned up and cancelled, and bought my XPS M1330 form thechef01 on ebay. It cost me £850, which was £400 less than the same machine would have cost direct from Dell, and was delivered next day by courier.

When I'm getting my daughter's desktop at Christmas I'll go straight to thechef01 again, forget going direct to Dell.

All I can really suggest to those of you who are waiting on orders and dont wish to wait longer is to take a look at dell outlet, dont just poke your head in the door and say too expensive. Keep looking all day if you can and refresh the page often, new kit is placed there daily by dell.
    Of course the real low priced kit goes pretty quickly but you have almost an equal chance as anyone else since dell introduced cart verification, your choice will invariably be with you within 5 working days and there are real stonking bargains to be had for those who can be patient.

I was in the same position as you, my 1720 was ordered before christmas with a 16/1 delivery date that was put back twice to 21/1 and then 22/2, similar spec to you with a few extras at £787, I phoned and complained last week about the delays and also sent them 3/4 emails saying that this was unacceptable and that I need the laptop urgently...I got an email today at 2.30 pm to tell me that my laptop is now with the courier company and that they will contact me to arrange a date to deliver my laptop..So hopefully I may get the laptop by the weekend..Ring them up and send them emails and hopefully they will put you at the front...

I didn't realise the new estimated date was 25th Feb rather than 25th Jan!!!! That's two months' waiting... How ridiculous is that??

Just imagine how much profit they can make by keeping all our money is the bank for two months!! Last time I called the customer service, the guy said they don't take payment before the delivery, while next day I looked at my bank account, the money is already gone.

jessie_yi;1467059

I didn't realise the new estimated date was 25th Feb rather than 25th … I didn't realise the new estimated date was 25th Feb rather than 25th Jan!!!! That's two months' waiting... How ridiculous is that?? Just imagine how much profit they can make by keeping all our money is the bank for two months!! Last time I called the customer service, the guy said they don't take payment before the delivery, while next day I looked at my bank account, the money is already gone.

Do you have a debit card? if so then they may have taken the money already. If you pay by credit card then they dont take the money until its been signed for on delivery.

MikeT;1467178

Do you have a debit card? if so then they may have taken the money … Do you have a debit card? if so then they may have taken the money already. If you pay by credit card then they dont take the money until its been signed for on delivery.

No, actually I paid with credit card, they've taken money out even though customer service said they wouldn't until delivered :x:x

Taken or just ring fenced the amount? Not really trying to defend Dell here but I have bought an awful lot of dells over the years and always on ccard and never had the money taken until delivery and in some cases not till months after delivery.

MikeT;1467289

Taken or just ring fenced the amount? Not really trying to defend Dell … Taken or just ring fenced the amount? Not really trying to defend Dell here but I have bought an awful lot of dells over the years and always on ccard and never had the money taken until delivery and in some cases not till months after delivery.

It's definitely TAKEN, it's shown in my transactions!!! minus £449.11....... and it's Mastercard, I never use debit card for online shopping

jessie_yi;1467311

It's definitely TAKEN, it's shown in my transactions!!! minus … It's definitely TAKEN, it's shown in my transactions!!! minus £449.11....... and it's Mastercard

Then if thats the case, get in touch with them and ask for an explanation for their actions.

I did, here is their reply:
    "We have checked our records and we can confirm that we have received the payment.
    Regarding your query on the amount debited from you account for the order I would like to keep you informed that when the order is placed, our Finance dept blocks the amount and releases the order into production. We can authorize the amount to be blocked only for 10 days after which the authorization will get cancelled. To avoid the cancellation we withdraw the amount from your account before the authorization expires. This avoids we authorizing double payment from your account."
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Fifa 18 web app Now active.44
      2. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1930
      3. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…3078
      4. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7201356

See more discussions