dell desktop plagued with bugs

Found 5th Mar 2011
hi all

i have a dell desktop optiplex which is several years old - but it does the job or rather it did do!

uo until midweek it was all fine. then all of a sudden the antivirus picked up a shedload of malware and went on an auto blocking crusade. now i hav a pc pinging every 2 mins notifying me of malware

what i would do normally as i would with my other desktop is a straightforward format, a clean sweep start again from scratch

problem is though i dont have the original restore dell cd''s as they werent supplied with the machine many years ago - if i format i may never get it up and running again - but currently with all the malware pinging away

what can i do? help?

(thanks)

6 Comments

My dell had the operating system recovery stored on a partition on the hard drive. If you press ctrl F11 during boot up you might see a recovery section there. Thats if you have never reformatted it.

Edit: just tried it on mine (all be it a different machine) and it worked. It's also a few years old so maybe it's the same process? Just keep pressing CTRL+F11 during the start up. Don't just press and hold ctrl while pressing f11. Press them in sync obviously.

Edited by: "maximoshark" 5th Mar 2011

Download malware bytes reboot into safe mode run full scan with malware bytes and your av

Do a system restore to a point before you got the virus, then install Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essential and Spybot.

Original Poster

many thanks for the replies - i shall try this out and feedback asap (fingers crossed it works)

I've just had a Dell optiplex [745] in for repair for the same problem . Riddled with the ramnit C malware . Could not be removed unless formatting the hard drive .I downloaded most of the drivers from the Dell website , theres actually 86 of them on the site , but you just download the relevant ones to your PC.Although I had the original Dell xp disk [SP2] and the COA sticker on the case when installing it did'nt ask for a key . Anyway , it's now good as new and running great and ready to be delivered to the customer this afternoon .
Visit the Dell site and get the drivers and stick them all on a CD or DVD for when you need them .
Sometime's the only way to get your PC back to the way it was is to format and re-install your OS and put your software back on .

Banned

Just download a new copy of the operating system and install that.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Ashes thread(prizes)58
    2. Gran Turismo Sport - Collector's Edition (PS4) £79.54 Delivered @ Amazon.de11
    3. Is Black Friday a big con!2231
    4. Beetlejuice Remake87

See more discussions