Dell Latitude Docking station

Found 1st Apr 2010
Does anyone have one of these? and can you tell me if it charges the laptop without having the charger in the laptop?

so is the power given from the port underneath?

8 Comments

Original Poster

http://www.offleaseavenue.com/catalog/PR01X1.jpg

If you are talking D/E series (even though they are different) then yes it does charge the laptop, also you can have dual screens from the outputs - we use them at work BTW ;-)

The C series used a port replicator which I think was slightly different.

Although - that looks different to ours, not deep enough and no power supply socket

That is the D series advanced port replicator - it uses the 90W Dell laptop PSU and does indeed charge the laptop through the dock interface. I assume aardvarking is referring to the larger version of the dock which could mount a PCI card, a D-series optical drive and had the power supply onboard so it's just hooked up with a power cable.

John

Johnmcl7;8265227

That is the D series advanced port replicator - it uses the 90W Dell … That is the D series advanced port replicator - it uses the 90W Dell laptop PSU and does indeed charge the laptop through the dock interface. I assume aardvarking is referring to the larger version of the dock which could mount a PCI card, a D-series optical drive and had the power supply onboard so it's just hooked up with a power cable.John

I'm assuming then it takes the adaptor end of the laptop power supply rather than a direct clover leaf kettle lead?

Didn't know I could mount a PCi card into my dock though - I'll be checking that out next week :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Basically i have a Dell Latitude D500 and the charger port is really loose so i was wondering instead of breaking it up and selling the parts i can use it by getting one of these docks.

so im right in thinking it will charge the laptop using the base and nothing to do with the charger port at the back?

ALICOM007;8265335

Basically i have a Dell Latitude D500 and the charger port is really … Basically i have a Dell Latitude D500 and the charger port is really loose so i was wondering instead of breaking it up and selling the parts i can use it by getting one of these docks. so im right in thinking it will charge the laptop using the base and nothing to do with the charger port at the back?

That's right, it gets its power through the dock interface along with anything else you connect to the dock, for most of the Latitudes it's not physically possible to connect a charger when docked as the port is blocked by the dock. As Dell have dumped the D series design in favour of the E series you should be able to pick up the dock you've pictured fairly cheaply although you'll need to ensure you get a suitable power supply for the dock - although it has the same socket as the normal Dell chargers, it needs a more powerful charger as I'm guessing you've probably got the a 60W model for the laptop.

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;8265412

That's right, it gets its power through the dock interface along with … That's right, it gets its power through the dock interface along with anything else you connect to the dock, for most of the Latitudes it's not physically possible to connect a charger when docked as the port is blocked by the dock. As Dell have dumped the D series design in favour of the E series you should be able to pick up the dock you've pictured fairly cheaply although you'll need to ensure you get a suitable power supply for the dock - although it has the same socket as the normal Dell chargers, it needs a more powerful charger as I'm guessing you've probably got the a 60W model for the laptop.John

oh right so it requires the 90w one? is there not a dock that takes a normal kettle plug cable?

rep goin round for the help

ALICOM007;8265451

oh right so it requires the 90w one? is there not a dock that takes a … oh right so it requires the 90w one? is there not a dock that takes a normal kettle plug cable?

The dock (which I think Dell referred to the Advanced Port Replicator) you've posted the picture of needs a more powerful PSU as it's running both the laptop and the hardware in the dock and that version of the dock doesn't have its own power supply. There is a larger version with much the same ports and interface (plus an PCI bay and optical drive slot) but doesn't need an external power supply, it doesn't quite use a normal kettle lead instead using the similar clover shaped three pin plug - see ebay item number 380137171375 for an example of one.

John
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. https://shakeasnowglobe.tkmaxx.com/24
    2. Quidco Snow me the money Competition921224
    3. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!1212
    4. Wychwood - £5000 + other prizes (Smash for Cash)55

See more discussions