Groups

DELL Latitude e5430 CPU upgrade?? Thanks in advance

Please could you advise which CPU is the best upgrade for this laptop?

Currently an i5 3320m

Socket 988B rPGA

Cpuz below

Thanks in advance

5 Comments

Original Poster

That is a rather elderly system spec, without a detailed spec page on the motherboard (unlikely as I think Dells boards were custom made), it is impossible to give a definite answer.

Your best bet is to talk to Dell directly, or search for higher spec models in the same range and see what cpu they were fitted with.

You can also crack open the case and have a good read of what is written on the motherboard itself; other things to look for are the board multipliers and the cpu power limitations, this is a 35watt part so it is doubtful a (for example) 120watt part would work (Dell have a reputation for paring system spec, especially the psu, down to the bone).

You might be better off buying a replacement, 2nd hand PC, especially as DDR3 800MHZ RAM is the boards limit.

If you are lucky, you might find the board can take old Xeon server chips, like my daughters G31 board, but she is only 4, so doesnt need anything too powerful!!

Processor Options Intel®  CoreTM i3, i5 and i7 up to i7-35xxM; Intel® Celeron® Bxxx processors
    from this spec sheet
    http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/latit/dell_latitude_e5430_spec_sheet.pdf

But it's not much of an upgrade
    http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/497/Intel_Core_i5_Mobile_i5-3320M_(PGA)_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-3540M_(PGA).html

Upgrading laptop CPUs are often rather expensive. Best off buying a new laptop
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. which drill bit set for bosch cordless drill ixo range? hex?11
      2. GP Vaccinations: telling patient they are out of stock and go private44
      3. Has your £2.50 Topcashback been paid from the last offer?22
      4. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2027

See more discussions