Expired

Dell Mini 10

Found 26th Sep 2009
Been looking at Dell Mini 10's - can get them on the Dell website for £199 this weekend.

I know nothing about these, I'm just thinking of buying something so I can access the internet when I'm in the USA or maybe on other holidays. Do I need anything else with it (dongle etc?) to be able to use it abroad? I'm thinking I can use it in hotels that there's free wi-fi or in cafe's that have wi-fi etc. Anyone able to tell me more?

Sorry for being a bit dumb, only use a pc at home, so I don't use wi-fi at home. Hubby uses a Dell Laptop for study/gaming, and only connects to the net for updates etc, via a cable into our regular Virgin modem.

1. Ask
  2. Dell
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Dell
7 Comments

Yep the model at 199 has wireless technology perfect for your trip to the states. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Thanks.

Can I just use it as it is, or do I have to plug anything in? Will I just automatically get access where there's a connection?

Also what would I need to set my home pc up to be able to use it here? I know there's cafe's and hotels that have free wi-fi in the states, but I'm wondering what sort of use I might get out of it outside holiday time.

If you have a wireless router in your house you just type in the wep key and it automatically connects to your internet. If its a wired router like your one you just plug in via the rj45 connection with your dell mini 10, :thumbsup:

Same situation in usa, the wireless connection on the dell will find the nearest access points, just type in the wep password and you will be connected, i.e. hotelrooms sometimes have the password in the room and some places are just live all the time for anyone to access.

I take mine to the US and it is great fits in my handbag

Original Poster

Not got a wireless router, don't use wireless internet at all - only use a pc with regular modem.

Any ideas how much a suitable router would cost, and where from?

lesley74;6407744

Not got a wireless router, don't use wireless internet at all - only use … Not got a wireless router, don't use wireless internet at all - only use a pc with regular modem. Any ideas how much a suitable router would cost, and where from?

Can get a wireless router from virgin media for 25 quid. :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text